RPData costs!

For those of you who subscribe to this service, have you noticed the recent changes to LGA's and costs? My costs have now increased to almost $120 per week as you can no longer add LGA's on but need to subscribe to zones (inner city, outer city, surrounds etc) instead. Big price hike, but then again it's necessary to be able to see sales histories, marketing histories (always telling) failed auctions, comparables etc. Along with high insurance premiums, it's certainly not cheap to properly run any property business these days...

wow $120/week is expensive!

we've got a small group sharing our account (each with own login so anyone can log in at the same time without being booted off) and it works out at less than that per quarter for the entire state (including regional areas)!

maybe you could get a few people together and pay for the extra logins and share the subscription costs?

i know what you mean though because when we set up our own account 2 yrs ago it was like $700/quarter and back then with hubby not working it was a lot of money to be forking out...but as you know, the tool is invaluable.

Thankfully I was able to get in with a group, Less then what you are paying a month..

Seems like it is the way to go.

Otherwise maybe you could check out EAC. Data isn't as reliable as RPdata but it is quicker...

I have whole of australia access as of yesterday. It doesnt come cheap, however there are other ways of getting access to it cheaper. well not cheaper then $120pw but getting other states etc..

Going in with a group isn't an option at this stage as there's already 3 of us accessing it. Also subscribing to "On the Market" (which is an absolute necessity for any BA company) costs extra, as you know. Amazing details now provided on RPData including last vg valuations as well. It just keeps improving. They've now incorporated Google Maps and Streetview as well as their own maps which saves time switching sites etc.

Collector, yes it is changing as you can't just add single LGA's like you used to. Far better off to actually subscribe to the zones (inner Sydney, outer Sydney, surrounds etc) and wear the costs. Though you're already paying more than I am... are you paying for more than 3 logins?

Re: EAC. I trialled this but found it inferior to RPData and the support pretty miserable. I don't think anything beats RPData for data and support.

A bit off topic..but do you know how RP Data gets its sales information from? Is it easy to obtain for anyone out there?

Cheers,
Oracle.

A bit off topic..but do you know how RP Data gets its sales information from? Is it easy to obtain for anyone out there?

Cheers,
Oracle.

My sister in law worked for them up until recently. She was employed from home to call agents within a designated area and enter sales into their database.

you mentioned going in a group (sorry don't know how to paste quotes in messages :eek:) isn't an option because you've got 3 people accessing it already but if you pay $8/week (don't quote me on this figure) you can each have your own login and never boot another user off....you can have several of these logins so maybe getting a few people together is the idea way to reduce your costs?

oh and yes on the market costs extra but soooooooo worth it! apart from aerial shots i'd say its the next best thing about rp data as you can use this info in sooo many ways to your advantage!

i think at some point these data agencies like rpdata will be challenged over invasion of privacy....

its really no ones business what a person sold a house for...data is abused daily by agents who are too lazy or just plain out of touch with prices and private buyers are no better inc myself

personally ive used rpdata myself many times before buying property but its an invasion of privacy info in my opinion..legal for now but cant want until someone jacks up and challenges their business.

make the playing field very interesting indeed..it will happen no doubt down the track...

Last edited:
i think at some point these data agencies like rpdata will be challenged over invasion of privacy....

its really no ones business what a person sold a house for...data is abused daily by agents who are too lazy or just plain out of touch with prices and private buyers are no better inc myself

personally ive used rpdata myself many times before buying property but its an invasion of privacy info in my opinion..legal for now but cant want until someone jacks up and challenges their business.

make the playing field very interesting indeed..it will happen no doubt down the track...

I fail to see how it's an invasion of privacy. Agents cannot use phone numbers from RP to contact sellers or address mail to specific owners names already. Not a bad thing :)

However, anyone can obtain information about a recent sale by purchasing publicly available data collected by the Dept of Lands through a broker (eg RP, Legalstream, residex etc) It's well known and widely used by not only the RE industry but by anyone involved in the selling and buying transactions of property.

I fail to see how it's an invasion of privacy. Agents cannot use phone numbers from RP to contact sellers or address mail to specific owners names already. Not a bad thing :)

Rubbish! Agents abuse data daily!

For sure the info is available through the lands dept etc, any mug knows that but it takes leg work to do it.........It is an invasion of privacy in how Rp data obtain much of their info,,,its through agents themselves.

Sooner or later someone will take them to task about it, mark my words..

This sort of info isnt available in europe..if it was there would be law suits left, right and centre....

its no more appealing than having access to knowing someones salary or how much tax they pay frankly or their medical history...
its all personal.

you back rp data simply because it suits your business.

i totally disagree with your reasoning.

i use it as well every day but i would have no dramas if it was knocked on the head either....

I fail to see how it's an invasion of privacy. Agents cannot use phone numbers from RP to contact sellers or address mail to specific owners names already. Not a bad thing :).

Actually they can, its part of some of their features for certain accounts. I know mortgage brokers who were actually told they could have a direct mailing list with owner names.

Either way, its legal at the moment and used for marketing.

WA has only just introduced a law (few months ago I believe), where names can be blanked out in the data, but only for people who need it, e.g. Witness protection, people with restraining orders etc.

Back