Rubbish!!! (november/december interest rate thread, 2nd poll )

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,26275977-5016110,00.html

Never mix economy and political *******ry. Last Interest rate rise is a pure bluff.

Last rise means nothing apart that it shows that current RBA board has no concepts of decency, accountability and responsibility.

They have done 3 hikes back in 2007-2008 when in fact rates should have been cut. What it ended with - anyone home? It ended with lowest in 48 years rates.

Now when the real risk of deflation can be seen even by blind Freddy, they engage into same blunder again.

Why?

Simple.

1. Current board appointed by Howard/Costello and they know they about to expire, as an appointment was done in true Costello style - the single merit taken into account was loyalty to Libs.
2. Mr Turnbull is steering their party so well, so they are about to face early election (in other words electoral annihilation). RBA decided to come to a rescue
3. All of them have vested interest in keeping inflating sharemarket and repelling people from property.

Just take long hard look onto media. 2008 - "double digit interest rates" propaganda was still run on the day rates started crashing down. 2008-2009 - interest rates going down - but I do not remember a single day without someone barking "rates are not going to stay low forever".
I do not need even to comment on the last months - any people with brains shall smell a rat when they see such blatant , vicious and so poorly orchestrated brainwashing campaign.

Tatoo it on your forehead - there is nothing - I mean NOT A SINGLE fundamental in place that warrants even talk of rate rises.

And if you swim against fundamentals - economy will retaliate with the force which is exponential to the effort you apply to defy economic fundamentals.

Any more of that cowboy style monetary policy from RBA - and they are done. To my surprise Government demostrates balanced and economically literate approach to the issue - which is uncharacteristic for Labor.

I have sneaking suspicion that BBQ to grill Mr Stevens' testicles is already on a full heat.

RBA politics aside, personally I think that rising interest rates are not in the interest of Australia at all - exporters suffering, consumption of cheaper imports rising. It's becoming obvious that the USA is content to have a weaker dollar for the advantages it offers and the carry trade swooping on the AUD is a crash waiting to happen.

Latest news commentaries point to it being only 0.25% due to a range of factors.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/new-home-sales-slump-20091029-hm1a.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,26276385-643,00.html

(why don't they get in the 0.1's - same message, less pain?)

I think that the overall intention of the IR rises propaganda is to get Aus consumers to put their credit cards back in their pockets and think about the future. This can't be a bad thing.

IMHO (and I admit to not knowing much/anything :eek: about economics), the current government has left the RBA with little option. If they wish to tame the inflation monster, wouldn't it be more worthwhile for Swan and Rudd to cut the stimulus still in place to avoid the overheating?

If they don't do this (and are showing no signs of doing so) what other method does the RBA have but to increase IR to curb inflation?

Whether inflation needs to be curbed is of course another matter altogether.

i said it'd be 0.25% definitely.

i hate the RBA as much as Labor do. you can't have national monetary policy with one big lever trying to affect all markets.

they are a double dipping wealth confiscation vehicle for the masses.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,26275977-5016110,00.html

Never mix economy and political *******ry. Last Interest rate rise is a pure bluff.

Last rise means nothing apart that it shows that current RBA board has no concepts of decency, accountability and responsibility.

They have done 3 hikes back in 2007-2008 when in fact rates should have been cut. What it ended with - anyone home? It ended with lowest in 48 years rates.

Now when the real risk of deflation can be seen even by blind Freddy, they engage into same blunder again.

Why?

Simple.

1. Current board appointed by Howard/Costello and they know they about to expire, as an appointment was done in true Costello style - the single merit taken into account was loyalty to Libs.
2. Mr Turnbull is steering their party so well, so they are about to face early election (in other words electoral annihilation). RBA decided to come to a rescue
3. All of them have vested interest in keeping inflating sharemarket and repelling people from property.

Just take long hard look onto media. 2008 - "double digit interest rates" propaganda was still run on the day rates started crashing down. 2008-2009 - interest rates going down - but I do not remember a single day without someone barking "rates are not going to stay low forever".
I do not need even to comment on the last months - any people with brains shall smell a rat when they see such blatant , vicious and so poorly orchestrated brainwashing campaign.

Tatoo it on your forehead - there is nothing - I mean NOT A SINGLE fundamental in place that warrants even talk of rate rises.

And if you swim against fundamentals - economy will retaliate with the force which is exponential to the effort you apply to defy economic fundamentals.

Any more of that cowboy style monetary policy from RBA - and they are done. To my surprise Government demostrates balanced and economically literate approach to the issue - which is uncharacteristic for Labor.

I have sneaking suspicion that BBQ to grill Mr Stevens' testicles is already on a full heat.

1. I agree with you on 2007-08 hikes - they made stupid mistakes.
2. The lowest rates were stupid but the Government's cash stimulus is more stupider. The RBA have to normalise the rate. Look - Harvey Norman shares, David Jones shares, big banks, can tell you something very wrong.

Put your money where your mouth is? :p

http://centrebet.com/cust?action=GoSports&ev_type_id=5308&flash_enabled=1

UP 0.01-0.25 / ANY OTHER HORSE 2.30
UP 0.26-0.50 / ANY OTHER HORSE 5.00
ANY OTHER RBA DECISION / ANY HORSE 4.25

Looks like a .25% rise is on the cards according to the punters!

Considering inflation is slightly higher than forecast, I can't see the RBA leaving IRs alone.

At least it won't be .50% that the media has been touting..

You have problems understanding what you are reading, aren't you? If you say that I was surprised that they hiked rates last months or they will hike rates next months - I would not be. They have a track record of doing the wrong thing.
And if you imply that economy would not retaliate in the spectacular manner to irresponsible moves - you are in for a big lesson.

For property it means that builders will be repelled from resuming building in this environment for longer - hence shortages get even more severe and property boom will be longer and more intense than normal.

Mining, farming, manufacturing, hospitality got immediate hit by surging dollar. And this is only beginning. Full extent of interest rate movements makes way into stats in 6 months time - this is when interesting times will begin.

You have problems understanding what you are reading, aren't you? If you say that I was surprised that they hiked rates last months or they will hike rates next months - I would not be.

In brief - interest rates is no longer thing to worry about.

Sorry, I just remembered how passionate you were in the other thread about rates not moving for a while.

I really don't want to get into an argument with you about economic policy, my post in this thread was said in jest, if it offends you then too bad :)

1. I agree with you on 2007-08 hikes - they made stupid mistakes.
2. The lowest rates were stupid but the Government's cash stimulus is more stupider. The RBA have to normalise the rate. Look - Harvey Norman shares, David Jones shares, big banks, can tell you something very wrong.

its not people spending that is pushing inflation, gov't stimulus is now wearing off. Inflation is rising due to oil, electricity etc. The RBA raising rates will do nothing to curb inflation in this instance as its being pushed by a completely different demon.
I agree with Todo. If the RBA continues lifting rates, and these fcukwits in the media keep scaring 90% of the population, guessing that the other 10% don't listen to one bit of bs they speak, most people will close their wallets, start hibernating again and I'm sure that will be great for the economy................ not

Got my money on .50%

I just had a picture jump into my head of a car slamming into a brick wall.

The car is the economy, the wall is the .50 rate rise that stops it dead.

Harvey will have to extend the interest free terms out to 10 years to get any punters after that baby.

Imagine the car industry and a few others...

Rubbish. The RBA does not favour the libs. They raised rates DURING an election campaign after all.

With friends like these...

At the end of the day lets just wait and see what happens.

I imagine they will hike a further 0.25% depending on how well the last surge went (probarbly too early to tell really..)

Now that the media has made the general public comfortable with the idea, I believe it will come to fruition.

There are just too many factors at play for anyone, including the RBA to get it right. I guess the best they can do it get close, as theres always next month if things go horribly wrong.

They raised interest rates right in the middle of the last election campaign. Loyalty you say?

Back