Rules on PM keeping first week's rent

Is it the "norm" for the PM to charge their management fees on the first week's rent which they keep anyway for the new lets?

Therefore, the tenant paid $400 but I am out of pocket by $473 ($400 plus gst plus management fees), it just doesn't sound fair!

tks

As far as I know, 1 weeks rent is the letting fee, the fee you pay them to find a tenant.
Management fees are totally separate and will start from day 1 of the tenant moving in.

Is the $73 management fee for 1 week, or 1 month?

Is it the "norm" for the PM to charge their management fees on the first week's rent which they keep anyway for the new lets?
Yes, perfectly normal as and per the agency agreement you have with them.

Therefore, the tenant paid $400 but I am out of pocket by $473 ($400 plus gst plus management fees), it just doesn't sound fair!
I'm tempted to say that 'life isn't fair' :p but don't get too hurt by it, you haven't been shafted by the tenant yet! Now that won't be fair either!;)

the govt does it all the time with tax on tax. If you are being ripped and you have to foot the bill is it the right investment class?

yes let fee in normally one weeks rent + GST

when the tenant moves in they have to pay 4 weeks bond and the first 2 weeks rent.

bond goes to the RTA first 2 weeks covers the let fee + management fees on the first 2 weeks of rent.

Its standard then you will also be hit with $5 postage for the email statement.

Back