Salary - $35 K Increased to $47 K

How did you guess? :D

I wasn't blaming him/her for it; good luck to him/her if you can get it.

My gripe is with cushy Gubb jobs where you do bugger all for a good wage, get a zillion perks, can't be sacked for being useless, and more.

Gubb workers certainly don't miss getting regular rises over and above the wider working community from my observation either. Why is that?

As long as you are comfortable with all that coming from your taxes, good on ya.

Personally, I'd like to see about half of Gubbmint positions go, make all the departments more accountable and efficient, and put a bit more of the wasted funds towards some real benefit to the Community by way of infrastructure and less red tape dudes.

You must be confusing "Gubbmint positions" with "Politicians positions".....

I even have some FACTS for you:

Dept of Defence has just offered ADF members 3% /yr for next 3 yrs... this is BELOW current inflation rate.

Dept of Defence is currently under a 20 Billion over 10 yr budget reduction program.

Dept of Defence is currently shedding employees by the 1000's (they will be added to the unemployed list...getting paid to look for work)

As long as you are comfortable defending yourself, good on ya :rolleyes:

Not ALL "Gubbmint positions" are living in your rose garden view of the world.... actually a lot of them are in real danger right now. I implore you to actually think about it.

Not ALL "Gubbmint positions" are living in your rose garden view of the world.... actually a lot of them are in real danger right now. I implore you to actually think about it.

I stand corrected then.

Let's not confuse payrise with promotion from now on. Payrise is more money in the same role, in the same job.

Had that have been made clear from the first post, I wouldn't have had to endure yet another fraccas with me old mate JC. I still love him though.

How is my view of the world a "rose garden view" by the way?

On the contrary; I'm the first here to espouse the shortcomings of us human beings.

Maybe you mean that I want the world to try a little harder, to be a little better?

If so; well...yes.

As someone who has worked both in the defense and as a contractor. I dont think they are the best example of the government NOT waisting money.
I actually laugh at a lort of people who leave the forces looking for a better life. "Stay in your bubble little fella. You will be eaten alive out there" Go getters will flourish. Average joe should stay in as long as they can.
You must be confusing "Gubbmint positions" with "Politicians positions".....

I even have some FACTS for you:

Dept of Defence has just offered ADF members 3% /yr for next 3 yrs... this is BELOW current inflation rate.

Dept of Defence is currently under a 20 Billion over 10 yr budget reduction program.

Dept of Defence is currently shedding employees by the 1000's (they will be added to the unemployed list...getting paid to look for work)

As long as you are comfortable defending yourself, good on ya :rolleyes:

As someone who has worked both in the defense and as a contractor. I dont think they are the best example of the government NOT waisting money.
I actually laugh at a lort of people who leave the forces looking for a better life. "Stay in your bubble little fella. You will be eaten alive out there" Go getters will flourish. Average joe should stay in as long as they can.

Devo, I agree 100% about the wasting money issue. Dept of Defence does a stellar of it, just like many other departments.

You have however, totally misunderstood the context here... hint: it is in relation to payrises which happens to be the thread topic.....

I concur that many individuals become indoctrinated & find transition difficult at best, however, many are also at the highest echelons within the private sector... but "little fellas" wouldn't really know about that ;)

On the contrary; I'm the first here to espouse the shortcomings of us human beings.

Maybe you mean that I want the world to try a little harder, to be a little better?

If so; well...yes.

"Rose garden view" was a specific reference to your statement that:

Gubb workers certainly don't miss getting regular rises over and above the wider working community from my observation either. Why is that?

All these "regular rises over and above the wider working community" is clearly a "rose garden view" of what is reality in many government departments.

Yes, the average public servant has a decent package with good job security, but that opportunity is available to those in the private sector as well.... all they need do is apply for a job.... You might also be surprised to know that many public servants would earn double their salary in the private sector due to their professional skills & experience... <---this is not BS either, I have seen many instances of this personally. ;) Obviously $$$ aren't the only reason to have a career....

I stand corrected then.

Let's not confuse payrise with promotion from now on. Payrise is more money in the same role, in the same job.

Had that have been made clear from the first post, I wouldn't have had to endure yet another fraccas with me old mate JC. I still love him though.

If so; well...yes.

So forgive Kim for saying payrise instead of promotion & move on mate !

The world trying a little harder is good idea. NOt sure how much you will believe the oft repeated suggestion from wise people in the past in the best way to make that happen though

So forgive Kim for saying payrise instead of promotion & move on mate !

Hang on;

I responded to the poster's 80%/3 year statement, which was lacking the appropriate clarification, and was YOU who then waded in and started your own argument with me as you always do, and launched a whole flotilla of useless posts from all and sundry in doing so.

How about you move on.

You pick fights with me, then get peeved when I keep fighting back. When will you learn.

Your turn. :D

Hang on;

I responded to the poster's 80%/3 year statement, which was lacking the appropriate clarification, and was YOU who then waded in and started your own argument with me as you always do, and launched a whole flotilla of useless posts from all and sundry in doing so.

How about you move on.

You pick fights with me, then get peeved when I keep fighting back. When will you learn.

Your turn. :D

Your opinon on the govenemtn overpaying taff was probably irrelevant to a thrad whereAlex P Keaton was aksing for hel-pp /advice on their situation to the point I felt it was almost insluting Kim so I responded to let you know it didn't happen like you thought. Sorry that they way I said that caused offence, I didnt mean to "pick a fight". I only then meant to clarifgy your other further quewstions, again I am sorry if I cam e across like a ******** whilst doing it.

Anyway, your personal popinon oof the government's pay practiceswas probably a bit off topic of Alex's origonal thread point and questions she was asking for help

Congrats Alex!

Time to spend a while building up a cash buffer so that you won't have to go through the same stresses that you had a few months ago :)

Thanks, yep building up that buffer for sure! :) I'll start off by getting an extra 3k pa cos I was at the high end of level 2, then at the end of the scale it works out to be a 7k increase!

Currently typing this from home enjoying my 7 yearly LSL. Ahhh love the public service!!

Payrise yes not promotion haha I don't want promotion

lol you guys are funny. All the bickering. I got a pay rise because of a restructure/reclass. Not promotion! I'm very happy in my job & pay is not bad. Great cushie stress free govt job for the pay I'm getting.

I couldn't be happier! I could very easily go for higher paying jobs and promotions! I did act in a higher job for more money but didn't like the long hours and stress. I would greatly miss the freedom I have with my 1 hou 20 min lunch breaks to go running ;) for me money is not everything. I enjoy training the new team members & helping other team members & love the customer service. My investment strategy is a get rich slow and will be set up nicely for when I retire :)

lol you guys are funny. All the bickering. I got a pay rise because of a restructure/reclass. Not promotion! I'm very happy in my job & pay is not bad. Great cushie stress free govt job for the pay I'm getting.

I couldn't be happier! I could very easily go for higher paying jobs and promotions! I did act in a higher job for more money but didn't like the long hours and stress. I would greatly miss the freedom I have with my 1 hou 20 min lunch breaks to go running ;) for me money is not everything. I enjoy training the new team members & helping other team members & love the customer service. My investment strategy is a get rich slow and will be set up nicely for when I retire :)

lol

That happens too and maybe bayview is right about govt pay policies...

Happened at my work too, reclassifcation of levels and policies of who can reprot to whom & a lot fof staff foudn themselves reclassed as speicalists and no longer had people manbgement repsonsibilities..

Was your starting wage that you referred to your probationary or permanent fulltime wage ?

Your opinon on the govenemtn overpaying taff was probably irrelevant to a thrad whereAlex P Keaton was aksing for hel-pp /advice on their situation to the point I felt it was almost insluting Kim so I responded to let you know it didn't happen like you thought. Sorry that they way I said that caused offence, I didnt mean to "pick a fight". I only then meant to clarifgy your other further quewstions, again I am sorry if I cam e across like a ******** whilst doing it.

Anyway, your personal popinon oof the government's pay practiceswas probably a bit off topic of Alex's origonal thread point and questions she was asking for help

i don't mean to cause offence Jc but perhaps you should use a browser with spell check. it's not really your spelling, but typos. perhaps you are sometimes using a tablet or smart phone because sometimes your posts have no typos and sometimes they are full of typos. it can make your posts difficult to read.

i don't mean to cause offence Jc but perhaps you should use a browser with spell check. it's not really your spelling, but typos. perhaps you are sometimes using a tablet or smart phone because sometimes your posts have no typos and sometimes they are full of typos. it can make your posts difficult to read.

Smart phone I'd say. Always happens with me.
I think there are a few websites dedicated to strange SMS due smart phone and spellcheck.

Devo, I agree 100% about the wasting money issue. Dept of Defence does a stellar of it, just like many other departments.

You have however, totally misunderstood the context here... hint: it is in relation to payrises which happens to be the thread topic.....

I concur that many individuals become indoctrinated & find transition difficult at best, however, many are also at the highest echelons within the private sector... but "little fellas" wouldn't really know about that ;)

Nah I missed nothing. And a response above confirms I think. I'm at the coal face daily from both a private and public point of view. I call it how I see it. And I see a lot.

Was your starting wage that you referred to your probationary or permanent fulltime wage ?

I was awarded my level 1 permanency (as a full time public servant) after working for 2 years in the job. Didn't have to have to apply or have an interview. When the sca.nni.ng machines were introduced a few years ago my job was re-classed to level 2! :) and now a level 3 re-class because the workload has increased.

I was awarded my level 1 permanency (as a full time public servant) after working for 2 years in the job. Didn't have to have to apply or have an interview. When the sca.nni.ng machines were introduced a few years ago my job was re-classed to level 2! :) and now a level 3 re-class because the workload has increased.

Had to laugh

Level 1 = 2 feet and a heartbeat from what I've seen in some agencies :p
Level 2 = Ability to operate a scanner ;)
Level 3 = Ability to work :D

Had to laugh

I know plenty of EL1's (Executive Level 1) that would only fit the criteria of a 'Level 1'...only in the Government I guess.

This thread has been an interesting read, especially since I am currently working as a public servant but have recently been offered a job in the private sector with a starting wage of 3x current salary...the money is definitely better in the private sector, but I can't go pass the excellent "work/life balance" that I currently have.

Had to laugh

yep i laughed too. ;)

ability to operate a scanner = ability to push a little button haha :D
i push 2 buttons now!! computer button and scanning button lmao!! haha
ive got it made!! i love my scanner

yep i laughed too. ;)

ability to operate a scanner = ability to push a little button haha :D
i push 2 buttons now!! computer button and scanning button lmao!! haha
ive got it made!! i love my scanner

When your scanner needs to be replaced by a $500,000 one by a government supplier please let me know so I can buy it off you :)

Back