salisbury, adeliade and pt mcdonnell

my gut says you're right, steve. for the same price as something with potential in ceduna i can pick up a property with potential in newcastle - with 62times the population.

the only difference being is the speculation factor ... and i don't know if i want to speculate any more.

my gut says you're right, steve. for the same price as something with potential in ceduna i can pick up a property with potential in newcastle - with 62times the population.

the only difference being is the speculation factor ... and i don't know if i want to speculate any more.

Spot on. If you had properties in Ceduna with great yield that almost pay for itself, it might be different, but if your negative gearing...

PS Lizzie - when you're down in Adelaide next month, check out Enfield, Clearview and Blair Athol. Suburbs going through gentrification, 7km from CBD, close to transport and public ammenities.

You can pick yourself up a cheap unit, or even a development site with a good house on it for rental for $330k+ 'ish.

I've bought 2 houses in Enfield in the last year.

Statistically, Golden Grove has one of the highest incidences of house break ins throughout the whole of Adelaide (I think it was actually no.1 for a few years in a row, but don't know where to find stats).

I have family in Wynn Vale (next to Golden Grove) and 1 IP in Greenwith and have heard of no issues with crime. In fact I'll probably move into my IP in Greenwith next year. ;)

Statistically, Golden Grove has one of the highest incidences of house break ins throughout the whole of Adelaide (I think it was actually no.1 for a few years in a row, but don't know where to find stats).

I think you are right there Steve, All the Salisbury theifs thought they would get a good stereo there as their next door neighbour could not afford 1.

really though Salisbury is not that bad, you can get some good middle to late aged tennants who are house proud and will always pay rent (as long as you dont go to high past their pension affordability)

I have family in Wynn Vale (next to Golden Grove) and 1 IP in Greenwith and have heard of no issues with crime. In fact I'll probably move into my IP in Greenwith next year. ;)

My mate's house got completely wiped out in Greenwith - took absolutely everything of any value. But it wouldn't stop me from moving into an area, you're always going to have crime. Monitored alarm system and some roller shutters will help, or in my case tall gate with a massive, barking German Shepherd behind it will do the trick. ;)

really though Salisbury is not that bad, you can get some good middle to late aged tennants who are house proud and will always pay rent (as long as you dont go to high past their pension affordability)

No problem for me. Set my MIL up with her first IP in Salisbury earlier this year. You can imagine the strife I'd be in if I made a bad recommendation, so I'm pretty confident in it. :D

steve, what are your thoughts up along the train line - devon park, croydon park, kilburn north etc? i know train line is a selling factor in sydney and melbourne, but does it have the same potential future draw in adelaide?

p.s. what council would the areas be in for a zoning density map?

steve, what are your thoughts up along the train line - devon park, croydon park, kilburn north etc? i know train line is a selling factor in sydney and melbourne, but does it have the same potential future draw in adelaide?

p.s. what council would the areas be in for a zoning density map?

Kilburn is in Port Adelaide Enfield Council (www.portenf.sa.gov.au). I think this area has good potential, but it is still fairly Housing Trust dense, especially in the northern part (there is no Kilburn North Lizzie, REA.com just out that there for some reason), there are also a large number of Aboriginal residents in the northern part. Near Grand Junction Rd is almost completely semi's, but houses can be found a bit further south. If you were looking there, you'd want to stay as far south, and away from Churchill Rd as much as possible. A lot of the blocks of decent size are long but thin, so for development would need to be hammerhead. In Enfield/Clearview across Main Nth Rd you can get wider frontages. Port Adel/Enf council are very pro-development though, and can be lenient on their building restrictions such as frontage. There is also a new development where all the govt. housing has been demolished in Kilburn - the name escapes me at present, but it's the area between Kitchner & Livingstone streets.

Croyden Park & Devon Park I'm not as familiar with, but as a generalisation there is a lot of housing trust there as well and a bit of industry - bit more lower socio economic as well like Kilburn. They're also in PAE council. Train line is a good feature, but Adelaide is also very bus focused with public transport as well which is something to keep in mind. These areas haven't come quite as far in the gentrification stage yet.

From memory Kilburn is under Policy Area 43, but I'll try and dig up the Enfield master plan for you....

Not bad PM.

Things to bare in mind is it's fairly far north in Kilburn with a lot of Semi's in the area, and pretty close to the industrial area as well. Take a quick drive around the area (or Google street view it) and get a feel for it.

I think one of the reasons that property is cheap is that it's very close (almost next door I think) to the Bradken foundry, famous for it's long and ongoing battle with residents in the area over pollutants and smell it emits.

From what I have read it will not be moved anytime soon, and this factor in itself, could affect what tenants you are likely to attract. I personally would not move into that house rent free.

As for the south of Kilburn... continued gentrification, close to the city with good surrounding suburbs, and imo, represents good value with upside in the future.

Last edited:
I lived in Kilburn (the very south end), southern Blair Athol, northern Prospect, Enfield for about a decade - I moved house several times within a few hundred metres of the Prospect and Regency road intersection. Bear in mind that parts of Blair Athol are in the Prospect council not Port Adelaide Enfield, or were at the time - check up on this. Its great, 10 minutes to the city, not industrial but fairly close to the train, right near the redeveloped Northpark shopping center. I still have my PO box in Prospect East. Loved the area. Really shouldn't have sold the house, but I was running away from an ex and rational thought wasn't involved. Oh well, what's $200k in lost equity ...

Ceduna has again been named as one of the “boom towns” predicted to have the largest increases in housing prices in Australia.
Stayed in Ceduna for a week for the eclipse a few years back. Very high Aboriginal population, and has the country's biggest drive-through (or did when I was there). I know I spent most of the week drunk so anything I say is probably wildly inaccurate - they actually did run out of Coopers while we were there - but it just struck me as a dusty, sleepy little town with lots of beer and oysters, out in the middle of nowhere. Spose it could be a hub of mining activity by now, you never know.

And as a total aside, Telstra have changed their wireless pricing within the last few days and we'll be signing a 3 year contract with them so I've suddenly straightened out my options - looks like we're keeping the IP longterm (or at least 3 years!) as an income stream not trying to do anything funny like move into it just for the broadband and then onsell for the CG, which was a dangerous option anyway as my PPoR is very low value and there was always the risk of it taking 6 months+ to sell or selling for very little. So odds are we'll probably continue to collect a few more regional IPs in the long run. Which makes these threads all the more useful :)

What sort of self respecting SA town runs out of Coopers??? Any other thoughts on regional SA apart from the usual suspects (eg Iron triangle, Roxby etc)?

Thanks

Back