Sarking

Hi all

Wondering if it is worthwhile getting sarking?

We area getting a tiled roof.

Understand this will help with insulation, as well as reducing the dust - esp important with allergies!!!

We have been quoted $2K by the builder.... thinking it may be money well spent in the long run?

Just have to weigh it up with all the other stuff we have asked for - may be there is a trade off.

thanks
Monalisa

If you put in sarking, ensure you get whirlybirds installed. Sarking reduces gaps for heat escape/condensate evaporation

prob 2 k well spent relative to full height tiling for eg

Ta

Rolf

Yes, this is what I am thinking.

Actually sarking will end up being 2.8K - apparently Builder's electrician charges some $800 for something they need to do.

Decisions Decisions.

But I think we need to really weigh up things one against the other, and draw a line in the sand! Otherwise there is no limit to what we can get.

The $2.8k worth of sarking will be worth ten-fold in heating/cooling savings over the life of the house.

Get it, and forgo the 'pretty' things! :p

pinkboy

Why would you even consider a tiled roof with inadequate insulation?

You'll be amazed how many people do this. U still see black tiled roofs with inadequate insulation and pretty much no eaves.
Mona Lisa - it's absolutely worth spending the extra on anticon or similar, spend the money on things that are hard to change later like insulation, ceiling heights, the right design etc and cut back on things like finishes that can be upgraded at a later date if you fins you're going over budget

Thanks all! We will be getting sarking + whirlybirds.

Why would you even consider a tiled roof with inadequate insulation?

Didn't know it was inadequate without the sarking.

Additionally - as it is not standard, I thought may be it is just something extra - but now research suggests otherwise. Luckily, it is not too late, and we will arrange for the colour consultant to add this on.

So many experts say "sarking isnt enough, dont do it. it has a small r value"
They leave out how effective a wind break is.

In the colder parts, a membrane underfloor and in walls to break the wind

Last edited:
Hi all

One more question... wondering if the following insulation is sufficient:

CEILING R2.0 Glasswool batts to house only

EXTERNAL WALLS R1.5 Glasswool batts (Including party wall
between house and garage)

I have been told this is insufficient, and we should upgrade ceiling to 4.0.

There is a small cost for it, but it all adds up!!

Thanks
Monalisa

Hi all

Thanks
Monalisa

If you're getting plenty of upgrades, ask them to 'throw it in' for you.

pinkboy

If you're getting plenty of upgrades, ask them to 'throw it in' for you.

pinkboy

I think we are getting a fraction of what a lot of people get. I doubt they would throw it in.

What is your view of the two? Would you go for it?

I am tempted.

I think we are getting a fraction of what a lot of people get. I doubt they would throw it in.

I am tempted.

The additional cost will come back to you by way of savings on your heating and cooling costs every year.

I am tempted.

So the builder doesnt include it initially, then offers an insufficient/inferior option......but then has an optional upgrade? Dont get taken for a ride girls.

Personally I would ask ScottNoMates or sanj above, as it is not my area of expertise and above my experience to date. It appears the concensus definitly suggests at least the bare minimum of including sarking.

pinkboy

Hi all

Thanks
Monalisa

sounds like youre not getting ant advice from your designer, might be time to ask the question or at least not use them again

definitely not enough in the ceiling, go higher. also as i said above id recommend anticon of some description instead of just the regular sarking.

walls - hard to say without knowing more but you'll need some kind of foil o rthermal break and not just the batts in walls as they will end up heating up and pushing heat in if theyre in direct sunlight and you have a few warm days in a row.

whats the reason youve chosen a tiled roof? pls dont pick a dark colour...

if the noise from rain etc is the concern then anticon heavy duty help with sound deadening

Back