School catchment area in RE ad

Hi guys,

Just throwing it out there to see whether it would make a difference to you. We recently bought a property and renovated it. This property is in a very desirable catchment area (primary school though). The catchment area has recently been tightened, meaning that some houses that used to be in the catchment area, are now outside of it.

I was just looking at some houses that have come on the market recently, and noticed that real estate agents still use "in xxx State School catchment area" as selling point, while I'm 100% sure these houses are not in the area.

Is this misleading? I know I would be pretty p-ed off if I found out after settlement that our house wouldn't have been in the catchment, but then again it should of course also be part of your own due diligence, if it matters to you. Should I make the RE agents aware of this?

Hi guys,

Just throwing it out there to see whether it would make a difference to you. We recently bought a property and renovated it. This property is in a very desirable catchment area (primary school though). The catchment area has recently been tightened, meaning that some houses that used to be in the catchment area, are now outside of it.

I was just looking at some houses that have come on the market recently, and noticed that real estate agents still use "in xxx State School catchment area" as selling point, while I'm 100% sure these houses are not in the area.

Is this misleading? I know I would be pretty p-ed off if I found out after settlement that our house wouldn't have been in the catchment, but then again it should of course also be part of your own due diligence, if it matters to you. Should I make the RE agents aware of this?

Yes - I'm sure they wouldn't be aware! I notice in Perth some write something like - please do your own research regarding school catchment as this is a guide only

Ultimate Family Living

Neat as a pin and immaculately presented, this is a perfect opportunity to buy a home in the highly sought after suburb of xxx

The house is also in the xxx State School catchment area. This home boasts a functional and flexible floor-plan and has the potential for further expansion later down the track.

Sounds pretty certain!

Edited to add: If you click on the local school zone button on domain.com.au it will tell you it's in the other primary school catchment area.

Last edited:
I'd let the REA know particularly if the changes are only recent. Naturally, as with all information that is important to you during inspections, confirm and verify with the appropriate authorities.

Back