Science Summary of The Week

Because it's not universally agreed upon, that's why old mate.;)

That "black" is quite cool and the planets rising simulation excellent!

Reminds me of the movie Father of the Bride.

The father thought he had a "black suit". The wedding planner (Franck, pronounced "Frunk" played by Martin Short with a shocking god knows where from accent) is trying to repair George Banks' tuxedo (played by Steve Martin):

Franck Eggelhoffer: Uh-oh, I bring the wrong color thread. I assumed you'd be wearing a black "tuxado."
George: It is a black "tuxado."
Franck Eggelhoffer: I don't think so, babe. This tux is "nuffy" blue. No doubt about it.
George: What're you talking about? Armani doesn't make a blue tuxedo.
Franck Eggelhoffer: Armani don't also make "polyaster."

One of the greatest people to have ever graced the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

The Frontier Is Everywhere: NASA Promo Video Will Inspire You.

On this day, 45 years ago, the greatest picture ever was taken.
Neil Armstrong's 82 year old grandmother told him to look around and not step on the moon if "it didn't look good". Neil agreed he wouldn't.

t5QPSW8.jpg

dex, Richie Feynman and other science geeks. Do you know of any good science podcasts? I sussed out This Week In Science and lasted about 5 minutes. Bloody awful. It was presented like a freakin' drive time radio show...

I wanna hear about science, not be spoken to like a 3 year old.

dex, Richie Feynman and other science geeks. Do you know of any good science podcasts? I sussed out This Week In Science and lasted about 5 minutes. Bloody awful. It was presented like a freakin' drive time radio show...

I wanna hear about science, not be spoken to like a 3 year old.

I don't really. I generally read my science stuff but Star Talk Radio w/Neil deGrasse Tyson is apparently one of the best. I have heard a few snippets which were enjoyable and informative but can't recommend it as a regular listener.

Give it a crack and report back eh?

Mate, you had me at Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I've downloaded the episode "Cosmic Queries: Space Probes with Dr. Amy Mainzer", haven't listened yet. If it is good, I'll probably d/l all the episodes.

Hopefully you start listening too, then we can talk about science and rustle The Fence's jimmies.

The Carolyn Porco interview looks interesting too.

Okay, I've listened to one episode of StarTalk and one episode of You Are Not So Smart. The StarTalk one didn't impress me at all. It was basically 40 minutes of Amy Mainzer answering questions sent in by listeners and the co-host was a moron. Again, more like a drive time radio show than a science podcast. Not what I was hoping for at all. Will look for a podcast with NdGT on to listen to, to see if it's any better.

YANSS was significantly better. Since YANSS is only 28 podcasts deep, I figured I would start at the beginning. It was much much better than StarTalk, an interview with a guy where they actually talked about cool stuff instead of answering bland, unimaginative questions.

Looked at Freakonomics, but nothing caught my interest. I didn't particularly like the book, so wasn't expecting much there.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140812142036.htm

"The black hole in this new study, referred to as Markarian 335, or Mrk 335, is about 324 million light-years from Earth in the direction of the Pegasus constellation. It is one of the most extreme of the systems for which the mass and spin rate have ever been measured. The black hole squeezes about 10 million times the mass of our Sun into a region only 30 times the solar diameter and it spins so rapidly that space and time are dragged around with it."

Crazy. I love you, ♥science♥!

Back