screens for push out windows

screens 4 push out windows (recommend a co.?)

My PM had a company quote for fly screens and a screen door. The company came out and said that they couldn't do the window screens because the windows are old style push out windows.

It is for a 2br unit in Meadowbank Sydney (Ryde area) Anyone know a company that could help me? Preferably only companies you have used and had a good experience with service and price wise please.

I notice no other units in the block have screens so other people seem to have had similar probs I am guessing.

thanks in advance friends ;)

(I have photos of the outside of the bldg but don't know how to post, let me know if you need to see them)

Last edited:
Reason I am asking here is that PM said I would have to source another company that can do it and then she will liaise with the tenant for me.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is the sort of thing a PM should take care of?

Or because it isn't a *repair* they don't have to do it.

wish-ga said:
The company came out and said that they couldn't do the window screens because the windows are old style push out windows.
QUOTE]
wish-ga said:
This is a two step process to fit the screens.

1. Fit modern awning winders to the windows then fit the fixed screen

or

2. Fit hinged screens or

2a. Fit screens with toggle fittings, so the toggles can be pushed out of the way, the screen removed, the window opened or closed, replace the screen or

2b. Fit retractable blind screens - like a Holland blind on a roller spring, pull down, lift up etc

The cheapest is a hinged screen, but from my experience with push out windows the darn things are always slamming shut plus the handle latches are not very secure and cannot be locked.

The awning winders are about $15 from Bunnings, and the window can be wound to any position and will stay there, and can also be locked. A piece of square dowel (sic) is cut to fit either side of the mechanism and fixed to the sill and the screen fits into the window above that level.

The screens should only cost about $30 per window, plus the winders, so about $50 per window should do it.

Most security door companies also do insect screens and would be able to quote you on the whole job (whether that be one window or all the windows) including installing the winders.

Personally, I would do this task (getting quotes) myself, but if your property manager is happy to help that would be at their discretion. They will be involved anyway in organising access to the property. If you just want the usual handyperson to do a window or two then the pm would probably organise this for you.

By the way, you can buy the framing in lengths from Bunnings, plus the mesh plus the rubber strip which secures the mesh into the groove in the frame. If you have a mitre box, a hacksaw and a flat surface the screens are a 'competant handyperson' job, so if you are prepared to measure and fit yourself the materials are actually quite cheap.

Good luck

Kristine

Thanks for all the info Kristine. However, the problem is that the windows don't wind. They have a latch that has to be turned 90 degrees then the window pushed out.

The windows don't extend so that the lower portion moves away from the sill. They have a latch 1/2 way down the length of the window frame and the other 1/2 of the frame is on hinges (they open like a door for want of a better description). If I could get winders installed that would be a great solution.

I am going to call someone on the exec committe and see if I have to have their permission to do it and if other people have investigated it. Also, I would hate to spend the money getting the winders and screens if the windows are going to be replaced soon. Newly acquired property so not sure what works are in the offing.

Hi wishga

So they're a casement window?

Are the windows fitted with a perforated metal bar which is lifted then the hole fits back over a raised lug to keep the window in position? These fitting always protrude into the room and are difficult but not impossible to fit screens around.

Take the easy way out and fit hinged screens. The screen may need to overlap the window opening and be fitted to the architrave so the window fittings are covered, and secure the screen with a small magnetic catch.

If the window fittings are still proud then you will have to fit a piece of timber vertically to give the screen something to close to.

You may only want to do a couple of windows rather than all the windows but the job can still be done in a neat and tidy manner. It doesn't have to look junky and your tenant can still have fresh air without blowflies or mosquitoes.

At the extreme, there was a recent post regarding Magnetite sliding panels. The same idea could be applied to screens on your windows - sliding screens which then cover the entire window and are clear of the metal fittings. The screens slide away behind the curtains when not in use.

This sounds expensive but the cost of materials would be low, all the hardware eg tracks are readily available.

In UK many windows are casement type and the double glazing panels are only fitted for winter, and stored away during the warmer months. Perhaps you could find illustrations of windows similar to yours on UK double glazing websites and this would give you some ideas on how to fit the screens.

And finally, are terylene curtains fitted to the windows? Net curtains always performed the task of dust and insect filters, so if fitting insect screens is too difficult just put up a curtain rod and bracket set and buy some flimsy terylene curtaining from Spotlight at $5 per metre. This will keep out most wandering flying insects (not huntsmen) not as efficiently as fixed screens but better than nothing.

Cheers

Kristine
PS just did a google on casement windows insect screens and Stegbar do a range of internally fitted timber screens for casement windows. So you will find many options but will need to do a bit of research

Last edited:
oh goody goody. That is great Kristine. I am going to print out your post so I have the info to hand when tracking down suppliers.

Regards
Wish-ga

Casement window.

That is what it is called Thanks Kristine, now I will have a LOT less trouble trying to source a supplier...

I just described the window to a supplier and they said no that isn't a casement window. A casement window is one that slides up and down. I don't think I will go with that company. I am going to call the ones that do the magnetic ones. I think someone else in the building has that sort and says they are good.

I am concerned that the section around a winder wont keep out all the mozzies; and that the winder will give up the ghost. So will get the quote on the magnetic sort.

Hi wish-ga,
The windows that go up and down are called "double-hung".The ones that are hinged on one edge are "casement" and the ones that are hinged along the top edge are called "hopper".
I had hopper windows and they were fitted with aluminium framed fly screens that were held in by two steel pins and also had winders that included key operated locks. The screens did not interfere with the operation of the winders, as they had an aluminium fin along the lower edge and this was cut to fit around the winder body. I am sure that the winders could be fitted to your casements. They were either "Whitco" or "Lockwood" winders. I hope this helps.
blondie

blondie said:
Hi wish-ga,
The ones that are hinged on one edge are "casement"
I am sure that the winders could be fitted to your casements. They
blondie

Thanks Blondie. This thread gave the the lingo I needed but the company I called was telling me the casement slides up and down, which is not correct (as you and I know). So I thought that I would give that company a wide berth if they don't even know what a casement window is. I am loathe to install winders as I am worried the tenants may be too rough on them. Am getting a quote for another option.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Flexi Screens

You could also try flexi screens http://www.flexiscreens.com/.

They are essentially velcro fly screens that you secure to your window frames. When you want to open or close the window you just peel back the screen do the do and lay the screen down again.

We have successfully used them on our windows in Rocky. We have an old Qlder with casement windows and all the aluminium variations looked foul.

With these you don't even realise you have screens on and to wash them you simply peel them off their velcro rim wash them and put them back on - too truckin' easy!

Take care,
Gary
'All know the way...few choose to take it.'

Thanks Mashari the link too me to a local mob's website. I have to call them later today when the rep is in the office. Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up. I will see how the price compares to the other type.

Thanks again.

Fly screens

Wish - ga,

Mine ended up costing about $75 per window installed, but that compared favourably to the other conventional but ugly options which were proposed.

Total cost for 13 windows was $975.

Seven months on and we still shake our heads and how the previous owners lived in the house for thirty years without a single flyscreen?? They were worth every penny.

Good luck,
Gary

Mashari said:

Mine ended up costing about $75 per window installed, but that compared favourably to the other conventional but ugly options which were proposed.

Gary,

Did you compare them to the magnetic type?

A86

About $75 per window? More reasonable than the magnetic ones but am not sure from the way they fit around the window if the fit is as flush as the magnetic ones.

How does it go with the velcro getting dusty and dirty?

The magnetic ones are being quoted today. They sit right in the frame and the velcro ones seem to have a strip of velcro attached by marine grade tape along the window sill.

I think the magnetic ones may be what I am looking for.

Update; The magnetic ones are going to cost $987.00 (for 5 windows ranging from 1300 x 800 to 600 x 800, smallest one works out at $159!!!! you gotta laugh don't you) They tell me they need cutouts which bumps up the cost.

Hoped magnetic ones meant I wouldn't need cutouts. No way I am going with that company.

So now I am getting a quote from company recommended by Mashari.

Last edited:
Back