Self Managing or find a good agent in Melbourne city

Does anyone know any good and professional Property Managing Agents in Melbourne city?
We have a brand new apartment for rent. Actually i considered self managing, but finding a good tenant is difficult. Tried those free websites and facebook, the people who contacted us were dodgy- no proper jobs, look messy and sloppy.

I want an agent that is
-professional

-ensure my property is in good condition, makes sures tenants keeps it clean and leaves it clean. (so tired of those agents that say," oh hole and nail in the wall, carpet not properly clean, dusty here, BUT you can't expect the property to be 100% clean and perfect right? It's wear and tear, nothing you can do".)

-don't give me bullsheet like "Our contractor can come and give you quote for repairing the dryer, but if you don't accept his quote he will charge you for coming over to quote".

-collects rent on time

Please don't recommend us MICM. We've used them before. Ain't going back there.

Does anyone know any good and professional Property Managing Agents in Melbourne city?
We have a brand new apartment for rent. Actually i considered self managing, but finding a good tenant is difficult. Tried those free websites and facebook, the people who contacted us were dodgy- no proper jobs, look messy and sloppy.

I want an agent that is
-professional

-ensure my property is in good condition, makes sures tenants keeps it clean and leaves it clean. (so tired of those agents that say," oh hole and nail in the wall, carpet not properly clean, dusty here, BUT you can't expect the property to be 100% clean and perfect right? It's wear and tear, nothing you can do".)

-don't give me bullsheet like "Our contractor can come and give you quote for repairing the dryer, but if you don't accept his quote he will charge you for coming over to quote".

-collects rent on time

Please don't recommend us MICM. We've used them before. Ain't going back there.

Rodimus,

As a Property Owner, Property Manager and Tenant myself I understand where you are coming from. Its very important to find the right tenant for your property that is going to pay the rent (on time, every time) and look after the house. Its not rocket science!!

I don't know of any good Property Managers in the Melbourne City. Although I'm sure there is. Here are some questions to ask your next prospective Property Manager that you will interview:

- Will you be the only one looking my property? (you want to deal with person responsible for you property, who will be completing all the tasks related to the management of your property).

- How many properties do you look after personally (not the office)? If they look after more than 200 by themselves - it is extremely unlikely they will be able to PROFESSIONALLY manage your property, as they will not have the time - I believe 150 properties is a good amount.

- How many years have you been a SENIOR PROPERTY MANAGER? (not receptionist!!) They should have 3 years or more. Just because a property manager has had 20 years does not mean they will be great. They may lack the passion and drive or even stuck in the old days.
Although the lady who taught myself the ins and outs of Property Management had 25 years experience, she was great, very detailed and knew when someone was trying to bullsheet her - I'd let her manage my property for sure. But technical wise, she needed my help.

The above 3 are probably my top 3 critical questions that must be answered.
You could ask them to explain the whole process they will undertake to find and manage your tenants. For example - How do will you complete my condition report - is it done of video plus on paper form to back it up? etc etc.

On the flip side if you still want to go down that road of managing your own property, jump on www.rentmyestate.com.au. Its an online system built for people like yourself who want to Professionally manage their own property. The first stage has recently been released, which will (amongst other things) allow you to advertise your property on realestate.com.au. The free websites are ok but not going to get you very far. You really need to get your property on the biggest website.

Good luck.

Rodimus,

On the flip side if you still want to go down that road of managing your own property, jump on www.rentmyestate.com.au. Its an online system built for people like yourself who want to Professionally manage their own property. The first stage has recently been released, which will (amongst other things) allow you to advertise your property on realestate.com.au. The free websites are ok but not going to get you very far. You really need to get your property on the biggest website.

Good luck.

Looks like there will be a few options coming up soon for owners who don't want to use traditional agencies.

I think this is brilliant for the market place. The days of PM's charging huge monthly fees for effectively zero work are going to be a thing of the past.

Bring on the revolution! ;)

Back