Sell with or without planning permit?

Am thinking of putting a vacant 5 acre block on the market and am unsure if it is worth trying to get a planning permit before selling or not. It seems that any permit details I put forward may be quite different to what a potential buyer may actually want to build, so in that respect it seems a waste of a lot of time, effort & money. On the other hand, over the years there has been lots of contradictory information on whether a planning permit for a dwelling is even obtainable on this land, so perhaps getting one may help sell it at a good price. A block on the same road sold recently & the real estate agent told me the owners obtained a planning permit prior to settlement. I'm hoping the fact that they got one shows it is doable and I won't have to go through it myself. The difference in value between the block being 'buildable' or not is over $100,000.
Has anyone had a similar dilemma?

Personally, if it were a block this size whatever you design won't be what they want to build. If it were a strictly development block, having plans in place would make it more valuable, especially if it were in a tricky planning area. But otherwise you might be wasting your money on design and planning if the buyers weren't interested in it.

Thanks tubs, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I hope I can get a buyer who's prepared to do the hard yards.

Back