Selling 80% of a property

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help out with this one.

I currently own a property in a trust. I am looking to sell 80% of this property to an investor.

Can anyone explain how I can approach this. Does the trust sell the property to me and the investor as a Joint venture 80/20? This would probably cause me to pay stamp duty again for my 20% share.

or

Can the trust bring in the investor as a 80% shareholder of this property. If this can be done how is the property title amended to show both parties?

Thankyou

John

At a guess, it would first depend on the nature of the trust - trusts with units, including HDTs and unit trusts will have different options than those facing family trusts. You need expert advice on this one - find someone really well qualified who knows trusts inside out to help you.

You've talked about selling 80% of the property, but not what you had in mind. When you consult your advisor, be clear about your goals, not your approach. Also, selling 80% will make you the minority partner, but if the trust holds the property you may still be doing all the work. Lots of issues to think through.

The fact that the property is held under the name of a trust doesn't mean it is any different than a property held under the name of a person, as long as all relevent parties (trust deed permits/trustees/beneficiaries) agree.

It is possible, by way of a sale contract and a transfer effected by a solicitor to transfer 80% of the ownership of the property to another person, without affecting the trust structure itself. That is the simplest way of doing it for most standard trusts.

Back