Selling an IP, can I keep the loan?

Hi all,

I'm selling an IP but I hate to let the loan go.Its fixed at 6.3%. Can I just transfer the debt without paying it back? Or will the bank just take it back when the sale goes through?

I guess if I could secure the loan with another IP....

cheers

Ray Brown said:
Hi all,

I'm selling an IP but I hate to let the loan go.Its fixed at 6.3%. Can I just transfer the debt without paying it back? Or will the bank just take it back when the sale goes through?

I guess if I could secure the loan with another IP....

cheers

Yes, you can do a transfer of security in most cases (assuming the valuations work out etc.

We did this when we sold one IP on a fixed interest (hence would have got break fees), but used the proceeds of sale to pay out a variable on another IP, and made it the security for the fixed loan (oooo.... that was confusing....:p )

Cheers,

The Y-man

You should be able to offer the bank a substitution of security; this works normally as follows:

1. Sell house
2. Deposit sales proceeds into term deposit
2. Offer bank term deposit as security until you find another property

Thanks guys,,,
Hi Y-man, yes it is a little confusing, but your explanation works for me...

and Rolf,

Rolf Schaefer said:
You should be able to offer the bank a substitution of security; this works normally as follows:

1. Sell house
2. Deposit sales proceeds into term deposit
2. Offer bank term deposit as security until you find another property

I have several IPs I could use a security.

So there IS a good side to having heaps of equity after all...

Ray l sold an ip over a year ago and kept the loan.I paid out most of the loan leaving $1000 drawn it cost me $5 pm to keep this loan set up.The ip had other security attached to it so it was a case of getting revals done.My loan had a redraw facility which l am told is important when doing this.Just last week l used this old loan to buy some MFs
cheers yadreamin

Hi Ray,

As Y-Man says, transferring the security should be simple, but a word of warning to be careful with the documents when you do this.

One of my clients thought that he was doing this, and then signed the documents in a rush, without reading them :eek: . The bank got the documents wrong and set up a new loan for him and charged him a whole new set of fees :eek: . We had a really tough time arguing to get the fees reversed because he had signed the documents.

Cheers, Medine

Back