Selling and legal costs

Hi there

Are selling (eg advertising) and legal (eg solicitor) costs deductible if you incur them in relation to trying to sell a property but then withdraw the property from the market because you decide not to sell it / cannot sell it?

I know if the property sells, they go against the sale price in calculating CGT. I was just wondering what happens if you don't end up selling the property?

Thanks

Hi there

Are selling (eg advertising) and legal (eg solicitor) costs deductible if you incur them in relation to trying to sell a property but then withdraw the property from the market because you decide not to sell it / cannot sell it?

I know if the property sells, they go against the sale price in calculating CGT. I was just wondering what happens if you don't end up selling the property?

Thanks

Possibly against CGT if you do later sell - assuming it is an investment.

Selling Costs - failed sale

Those costs are CGT third element costs which boost the cost base so when it sells later it lowers the gain.

However if a failed sale results in a forfeited deposit then a CGT event is triggered and the deposit less the costs would be a CGT issue at that time.

Keep a good CGT record and retain all documents. In 20 years time you WONT find them.

Paul
www.pricefinancial.com.au

Those costs are CGT third element costs which boost the cost base so when it sells later it lowers the gain.

However if a failed sale results in a forfeited deposit then a CGT event is triggered and the deposit less the costs would be a CGT issue at that time.

Keep a good CGT record and retain all documents. In 20 years time you WONT find them.

Paul
www.pricefinancial.com.au

Thanks for the clear response Paul. Much appreciated.

Back