Selling: Block of 5 flats in Townsville

Hi all,

I am selling my block of 5 flats in Townsville. It's a brick block, with a new roof and about to be finish new driveway (required by council). Unrenovated, so plenty of room to improve and revalue. The units are already on separate titles, so you can sell them individually after reno for example. You guys know how it works ;)

Currently 4 units are rented at 110pw (one vacant), and has been so for a while now, so as you can imagine, the rent is not up to date.

All flats are 2br/1bath, with 1 undercover car park each. Great location in Pimlico.

Photo:
4721259ml1059630336.jpg

Asking price $490,000.

Reason for selling - building a business and need $ to cover cost of sales in the initial stages.

Cheers! :D

Iggy_Type_R said:
Sold for 410k. 21 day unconditional contract.

I have a registered valuation of 450k as is right now. You guys should have made offers :)
Doesn't sound like a good sale to me.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PT_Bear said:
I'm curious Iggy. Dropping the price initially I can understand, but if a registered valuation came back at $450k, why did you sell for $410k?
Desparation. :(

When you make bad decsisions, which cost you a lot of money (BTW not in property, in business), you have to do something to recover.

If I had more time, I would have wanted more $, but because things were getting very very very tight, it just had to go.

Funny how I was reading about vendors who were desparate to sell a year or two ago and was thinking how good it is to find one... this time I was that exact vendor.

Iggy_Type_R said:
Do you mean not a good deal for the buyer or me (the seller)?

Hi Iggy_Type_R

I just thought I would detail some of the reasons why I wouldnt have pursued this deal. That is not to say that these are right and only reasons, there are lots of factors at play, but I thought I would have a go.

Here goes:

Purchase Price = $490,000
Purchase Costs = $24,500 (5% of Purchase)
Total Purchase = $514,500

Deposit plus costs Required = $122,500 (24%)
Loan $392,000 (80%)

Rent = 5 * 2BR @ $110 = $550
Costs per week @ 30% = $(165)
Loan per week @ 7.07% = $(533)
Net Loss per week = $(148)

Or $(7,694) per year

Gross Yield = 5.6%
Net Yield = (1.5%)
ROI Yr1 assuming 8% growth = 35%

On these numbers alone, I wouldnt have looked any further into this investment. Return on Investment would take well over 3 years and would significantly erode cashflow capabilities.

When you reduced the price to $440,000 this meant that the loss per week was $(94) per week or $(4.866) per year.

Whoever bought it for $410,000, based on the some criteria as above will probably lose $(61) per week or $(3,170).

There could have been development potential, chance to increase rents, high cashflow, untapped market, rennovation, etc as well which would have been a motivation to buy...but on cashflow alone, I would have discounted this purchase.

For the purchase to be cashflow neutral, the purchase price would have needed to be in the vicinity of $350,000 for me to pursue this deal further.

Iggy_Type_R, the benefit to you is much needed cashflow and capital so either way you are happy as well. It is a good deal for you as settlement terms are "unconditional" and 21 days so you have a secure buyer and guaranteed access to your money soon.

My thoughts...when assessing a deal, if you assess each parties motivation, ie your high motivation to sell, and mine to have neutral cashflow, I would have possibly offered $350,000 to see what happened. Even with the purchase price this low it would have been win-win, you have the money that you needed and the property is not negative geared.

Either way, you found a buyer willing to pay what you needed in the timeframe, so all in all, great outcome and well done!

Best of luck with the new business Iggy_Type_R and I hope that my post is ok.

Kind regards

Corsaundefined

Last edited:
Iggy_Type_R said:
If I had more time, I would have wanted more $, but because things were getting very very very tight, it just had to go.
You can get a high price or a fast price :)

So long as it covers what you need.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Corsa. I'm going to tread carefully here because I have a reputation I have no wish to maintain.

However, having read your post twice I am not sure of the message:
You have presented figures which demonstrate that Iggy's counterparty made a poor financial decision. I would be amazed if you or anyone else on this forum has done a deal in Syd/Melb/Bris/Canb in the last six mths which would pass your test. Anyone care to subject a recent purchase to this analysis?
Your figs are dodgy. I did mine and come up with neutral at the top line @ $450 which was the best price which could be reasonably expected. (did a drive-by and they are much neater than the photo suggests) I also used (conservative) rental returns which could be confirmed in Sat's paper. In part it looks:
Rent = 5 * 2BR @ $140 = $700
Costs per week @ ...... = $(165)
Loan per week @ 7.07% = $(490)
Net P/(L) per week = $35
Having bought well below this, I suggest the buyer did quite well, especially when we accept that we know nothing of his/her financial goals. Iggy accepts foregone profit as a cost of doing biz. Such is life.

Overall I thought your analysis to be damning on RE generally, a stance of which I do not disapprove. (don't ya love English as it is writ?) At least at current price/earnings.

Thommo

Hi Thommo

I really appreciate your feedback on my post. I didn’t think it would stir up such feelings of disapprovement and dismay, I deeply am sorry for that.

The message was simply intended to talk through the reasons why I "personally" would not have pursued this deal. Although I did point out what the cashflow outcome was at a purchase price of $410,000 for Iggy's purchaser, I really didn’t and wouldn’t comment about Iggy's purchasers decision as it would depend entirely on his/her financial situation and current portfolio and cashflow commitments and intended purpose of this investment.

I did point out that there could have been development potential, chance to increase rents, high cashflow, untapped market, renovation, etc as well which would have been a motivation to buy...but on cashflow alone, I would have discounted this purchase. There are clearly a number of different options available to the new purchaser, which can be implemented either to improve the bottom line (cashflow impact) or increase capital outcomes, the options are endless really depending on available time, capital, and cashflow.

I presented the figures, which we knew about and applied the assumptions that I would use to assess the deal. I personally assess all my "potential" deals against these criteria, but as an investor I am mainly investing in more affordable markets like Adelaide, and other regional areas around Australia so this approach may not be suitable or comparable for all markets. My approach "generally" is to find 3 cashflow properties for every 1 negative to have 4 properties supporting themselves. I also only have 7 properties though, so am really just a beginner compared to others on the forum that are more experienced investors like yourself.

Using your suggested rentals based on your research of $140 per week per unit, I also get neutral cashflow at a purchase price of $450,000. When compared to the actual purchase price of $410,000 the cashflow situation appears to be:

Purchase Price = $410,000
Deposit = $102,500
Loan = $328,000

Rent = 5 * 2BR @ $140 = $700
Costs per week @ 30% = $(210)
Loan per week @ 7.07% = $(446)
Net Profit per week = $44

Gross Yield = 8.5%
Net Yield = 0.5%
ROI Yr1 = 48%

Therefore total Return on investment will take approximately 2 years.

I would be reluctant to label my calculations "dodgy" like you have pointed out, just because I used the current rents that are being generated from the units rather than fair market value (based on the further research you have conducted). My analysis was strictly limited to a financial analysis only, I did not look up the local Townsville papers to confirm rents, nor did I drive by and take a look at the property.

The point of my original post, was Acey pointed out that the deal did not sound very good, and Iggy inquired whether it was a bad deal for the buyer or the seller, and I felt that writing down the reasons why I "personally" would not pursue the deal, would be beneficial to others reading this forum, and I had some spare time on my hands yesterday :)

Putting aside whether it is a good or bad deal for Iggy's counterpart, I was also trying to point out that for Iggy, he needed the money so he needed to get out. He could have renovated, increased rents, sold off individually also, but chose not to due to time, capital and cashflow restrictions. Not all investors would be able to carry the load of a cashflow negative property and hence could get into trouble quite quickly especially if rents could not be increased to $140 or the renovations costs were significant. I am happy for Iggy and the new purchaser that between them they have reached a win-win outcome. But I would still have not pursued this deal due to the ROI and Cashflow based on numbers provided.

As I work full time and invest part time, I have to evaluate several (hundred) properties to determine ones that I will seriously pursue. I don’t have the time to chase all deals nor confirm the validity of all purchase prices or market rents. When looking at properties (around Australia and NZ) I cant just drive by all deals or read the local paper of all deals, I hope that you can appreciate that this is not an option for all.

Your comment that the analysis that I have conducted is damning on RE generally, a stance of which you do not disapprove, I very much disagree with this part of your post. I would like to assure you that I am very positive in terms of RE as a viable investment in light of current price/earnings and am actively searching for good deals to pursue further. I am currently searching for a block of flats (preferably 8 plus) in Cairns, so am evaluating these kinds of deals quite regularly.

There has to be a way to filter out some deals, and the method that I have described (which you have also used) works well for me most of the time, and I thought that I would share that with the forum.

Your comment that you have your reputation to maintain, I too would be disappointed if my reputation became “Corsa provides dodgy numbers” and “Corsa provided damning advice on Real Estate as an investment”.

Thanks again for your post Thommo, I really appreciate your feedback on my post and hope that my post clarifying this position has helped you further understand my point of view.

Best Wishes

Corsa

I wasn't interested in it for a different set of reasons.

Pimlico is a good area so it was worth looking at further.

Purchase price in Dec 02 was 240K. Previous owners paid 200 in 97.

On the assumption that the block hadn't been extensively renovated ( which it doesn't appear to be ) , Iggy was asking to much initially . Even at 450K , given the two previous sales, I don't think that Townsville has increased that much. So for me on just a superficial glance , the asking price was to high.

A chat with a few pm's revealed that there is an over supply of units in townsville. There are a lot of new units coming on line, and these tend to be much nicer than the existing stock. Thus there is downwards pressure on rentals for units, and increasing vacancies. As the block already contains one longer term vacancy , the chances are it's not a high quality block , and the Picture certainly tends to reinforce that opinion. One agent said there were many older blocks in Townsville which were having increasing propblems with vacancies , and as more new units were finished , were going to have increasing problems.

I think Townsville is a good place to buy at the moment ( as good as any ....) but this didn't come across as a good buy.

When Iggy bought it in Dec 02 , it was a good buy.

See Change

Hi guys,

I'll just add a little to the discussion...

Yes I ddi pay 240 for it in 2002. I strata titled it and did some roof and minor bathroom work.

I have nothing to hide (as I sold it) and I DO have a val for 450k from a registered valuer in Townsville. I had it valued at 390 6 months ago, so it appeared to have grown by 15% in 6 months. 390 they were already strata-titled.

Cashflow wise it's not the best to buy... I agree with that. But for reno and sell off individually they are great. But that's just my (and the buyer's) opinion :)

Dear Iggy,

Whilst not all of us would have done the same as yourself in this case, the fact that you have posted more details about the end result is appreciated by members on the forum.

I would hope/and expect that others in CE posts continue to be this open if they decide to initially start a CE.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back