Selling Property Privately in Qld

Anyone sold a place privately in Qld? Thinking of doing my little PPOR unit myself to save a few $. If so could you please walk me through the process? WA is VERY easy but Qld is different Im told. Any hints, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We sold a block of land ourselves about ten years ago, but it was in a booming market. We made a sign and nailed it to a tree out the front and within a couple of weeks a builder who had a few projects up the road made us a pretty good offer, easy peasy. I dont know how that would work in a stagnant market or in a location where nobody ever goes past.

My mum bought her new townhouse last year via word of mouth, although the seller placed an add with a company so he could get it onto realestate dot com. I cant remember the details of the company, no doubt someone else here will be able to help you. It was something like: "Sellyourhouseforfree dot com" or "housesforsalewithoutcommission dot com." The vendor said it cost him around $500 for the realestate dot com ad and the big professional sign out the front. Her complex is on a main road and we saw the sign every day driving past on our way to work.

After the success of our first sale, our family tried to sell a deceased estate privately and we never ever had one enquiry from the domain ad. This was six or seven years ago, before anyone got smart and developed a company like the one that I referred to above. Or at least before we had heard of them. That particular property was away from civilisation, so no passing traffic, and it was a waste of time trying to sell it privately, even though the market was still booming.

lesson: Queensland buyers dont use domain.

Anyone sold a place privately in Qld? Thinking of doing my little PPOR unit myself to save a few $. If so could you please walk me through the process? WA is VERY easy but Qld is different Im told. Any hints, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are not on realestate.com.au say goodbye to 90% of your target market.
If you dont use domain.com.au the people down south who use that site wont see your property. A sign will give you a couple of people, but when they see private sale, you get a lot of timewasters.

My advice if you dont want to hire an agent is to act like one.
* Put the property where people will see it (ie websites)
* Present the property like you had an agent doing inspections.
* Get a solicitor ASAP- have contracts done ready for buyers.
* Go to officeworks and print some full colour flyers ready for buyers inspections
* Try to run off another properties advertising, find a open home in your vicinity with an agent, and make yours the same time but with 15 minutes before and after to catch the buyers.
* Spend $200 or so and get a professional who knows what they are doing to take the photos.
* Thoroughly do your research when you price it. A professional valuer will cost a couple of hundred and if the val comes back at a price you like, show it to buyers at inspection (they try to discount it down)
* get all offers in writing on the actual contract forms, then sent to your solicitor to check before you countersign or accept.
*A common problem with private sales is you dont get honest feedback. In practice most buyers are too polite to tell you to your face that the property needs this or that, lacks this or that, or is overpriced.

Selling a home, especially your PPOR is difficult, especially in this type of market, if you are just going arent going to put in the effort a professional agent would, dont bother doing it yourself.

Whereabouts is the property?

also if it is a unit, get the addresses of all the other owners and send them a note to let them know its on the market, and the ones that are investors, send a flyer to their tenants- often times tenants buy in the unit block they rent....

Thanks folks - will give it a go and try and save the $10K commission.

Besides going with someone as suggested is there any other way to get it on realestate.com.au?

I am fairly sure that realestate.com.au don't accept private listings. Some of the other sites do, but in QLD 95% of enquires are from the above so you need to be on there.

I know from experience that most vendors are not good negotiators, and I get that little rush of excitement when I see a private seller, as I see it as a project to beat them down and get a bargain. Be warned that many many people think like this.

If an agent can manage to talk an extra $5K out of a buyer's wallet, then they have almost paid for themselves. Remember you can negotiate on an agent's commission in QLD. Give it a go solo, but don't be too naive about your savings.

Thanks Mattty, very sound advice - will give it a go for 4 weeks, if it doesnt go I will enlist an agent. I buy and sell harleys so am used to some "interesting" tactics when it comes to people looking to bargin me down lol

Thanks Happylandlord spoke with them today, have sent everything to them and am awaiting to see the ad go up tomorrow. Will report back how it goes but at $199 for 10 weeks listing on the realestate.com.au site I feel its a bargain when the other crew quoted me $500, no wonder he was so insistent I pay immeadiately. My intuition was correct. :)

Bullet points for the major selling points. Not everyone wants to read an essay.

There is no such thing as low body corp, tell people what the amount is.

All in all the photos look good, but the only piece of advertising that matters is the price. If it is on the money you will get offers. If not, you will hear nothing.

I disagree with the bullet point poster above.

Most studies show that the more time spent on page reading the description increases the rate of enquiry. I love reading spiels when I am actually a serious buyer. People who click the ad already know how many beds, baths & cars it has, so a paragraphed description usually works well.

Also - people are more likely to click on interior shots rather than exterior. If you'll notice when you look through the list of properties that most of the advertising ones for new developments etc use exterior shots, and the interior ones stand out from the digitally created exteriors. It makes the listing more "real". I would make the first interior shot the main image for the listing.

Is this a place that you're living in? Perhaps suggest that weekend inspections are encouraged and to phone the number. The last sentence and especially the word "strictly" sounds quite bossy.

Just my two cents. The photos look good!

Thanks Matty, appreciate the input. Yes living in it so will make some changes as suggested. Photos were shot by a pro and benefited from some photoshop as it was raining on the day.

Jtkumnick - also added the body corp costs in - thanks.

I pick up my sign for the front this afternoon (1200x900), handouts done, smaller home open signs done for the foot path (A3) size, disclosure doc ready and a draft contract available. Thinking a quick final clean this afternoon and will see how the 1st home open goes. :)

Costs to date:

Sign $210
Realestate.com listing $199
Photogragher $160
Handouts etc Free - work printer
A3 Home Open signs Free - work printer and laminator
Contract $275

Last edited:
Just signed a contract to buy privately in Qld, the seller had an advert, no picture, in the local Saturday newspaper. We negotiated verbally and then went to his solicitors to sign and pay deposit. Also glad you found investormentor, they are great.

Think I may need to straighten this a little :)

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

I disagree with the bullet point poster above.

Most studies show that the more time spent on page reading the description increases the rate of enquiry. I love reading spiels when I am actually a serious buyer. People who click the ad already know how many beds, baths & cars it has, so a paragraphed description usually works well.

Also - people are more likely to click on interior shots rather than exterior. If you'll notice when you look through the list of properties that most of the advertising ones for new developments etc use exterior shots, and the interior ones stand out from the digitally created exteriors. It makes the listing more "real". I would make the first interior shot the main image for the listing.

Is this a place that you're living in? Perhaps suggest that weekend inspections are encouraged and to phone the number. The last sentence and especially the word "strictly" sounds quite bossy.

Just my two cents. The photos look good!

Not mutually exclusive. Realestate.com.aus research said that women prefer to read descriptions, men prefer facts in bullet point.

Do both.

Well just signed the contracts, deposit paid and contract is unconditional. Settlement in 28 days. Got the price I was after, sold it to a lovely person and saved over $9K - took just over 2 weeks. Thanks to all that helped, barring a major stuff up its a done deal. Really good experience all the same.

Back