Selling shares. Advice needed.

A few years ago the company I work for gave all the employees a share package which we had to hold for a certain time before we could sell them. The time has come to sell and not having any experience with shares I need some help.

Which is the cheapest way to sell them? Can I sell them back to the company?
Will I be taxed on selling? Any advice and comments welcome.

If the shares were issued by a company listed on the ASX then you could sell them through any broker. Are they a publicly listed company?

These employee parcels are usually very small, so your concern about brokerage if you visit a local "full service" broker is well founded.

Your shares will be "issuer sponsored" which means they are not registered electronically but you can still sell through eTrade or Comsec OK. Weather it is worth the trouble opening a new account for a one off saving is your call.

If you know someone with an account you can do an "off market transfer" [goto ASX site] and he can then write you a cheque.

These employee parcels are usually very small, so your concern about brokerage if you visit a local "full service" broker is well founded.

Your shares will be "issuer sponsored" which means they are not registered electronically but you can still sell through eTrade or Comsec OK. Weather it is worth the trouble opening a new account for a one off saving is your call.

If you know someone with an account you can do an "off market transfer" [goto ASX site] and he can then write you a cheque.

From what I understand you don't need to open an ETrade account to sell like this. You can do a "guest sale" or something, they call it. About $45, IIRC.

Stockbroker can help you sell your share but you have to pay for the broker's fee. Best is to go to the ASX site. They have FAQs shares which can help you. Might even find other issues relevant to you.

Back