Selling with several agents

I like to sell my investment property which is located in the outer suburbs around 3 hours away. Can I list it with several agents and whoever sells it gets the commission ? I've only sold a property it with an exclusive agent before so not sure whether there is another way and what the disadvantages are.

Hi girraffez.

You can, it is your property...

You will probably find this though:

1. Most agents won't like to share the property because:

a) They will have to co-ordinate times for inspections- think how messy an open house on a Saturday would be for them.
b) They would probably charge you for advertising (heck, I would), because the odds are against them for the sale and subsequent income.
c) They won't put as much effort in to selling your property as they would another property, that was solely listed with them...why would they?

3. You'll need to get multiple keys cut and your tenant will have endless calls from agents trying to get into the house.

4. Imagine in an ideal situation that you have two different agents, each with a different buyer......you then become the negotiater between the two. I prefer to leave it to the agent when there are two keen buyers....

It just makes things "messy", for want of a better word. Two agents could work...but I doubt very much that multiple agents would...if you were to find any that would agree to it in the first place.

Regards JO

I would not because of all the potential headaches.

Do your research and choose who you believe is the better agent. Then place them on a very short term agreement and see how you go.

I would not because of all the potential headaches.

Do your research and choose who you believe is the better agent. Then place them on a very short term agreement and see how you go.

Thanks all

How long is short term? 30 days? So all i lose if they don't sell is the advertisement fee right?

Whats the commission looking like these days?

Why not post the suburb and see what agents people may have sold or purchased and have some feedback.

Yes, do no longer than 30 days terms. Have the agent clearly spell out what fees are required, who is to pay for them and results are expected.

Agreed give the agent at least 2 months though as by the time they get the contract off your solicitor they have lost 5 days or so unless you contact your solicitor first and have the contract ready then provide this to your agent yourself upon selection. But do an exclusive much better for you

Put yourself in the agents shoes.

You only get paid on success.

You're competing with several others; it'll probably just come down to dumb luck as to whos door the buyer walks through first.

I don't think there's much insentive for the agent to work hard in the case of multiple listings. You're better off to go exclusive with time limits and result based insentives.

Every time I see a house with half a dozen for sale signs on the front fence I immediately thing "geez, that guy must be desperate, wonder if they'll take tree fiddy for the house?"

The houses with half a dozen for sale signs are usually the ones in a terrible location that have been for sale for 3 years.

Don't be one of those people.

Back