Serious Problem with Outlook 2007...HELP!

Hi All

My MS Outlook is there but will not start.

It says something like "file was not closed properly" and then trys to close/open file and gets stuck and crashes to blue screen. Everything else is ok.;)

I have had some help from IT experts who are friends and it seems to be a known bug in Outlook if your system is shutdown without closing Outlook or goes into hibernation without closing Outlook.

Anyhow, the friends are stumped, and whilst I have spoken to some IT consultants locally, they have not given me any confidence (or firm prices) and from past experiences, are not that savvy. My gut is telling me someone who is not up on this bug could make it a lot worse!

So , knowing some savvy types are here, has anyone else had this issue? And is so, any advice? Or can you recomend someone in Melbourne who can fix this and is trusted?

I have reloaded Outlook but no go . I have yet to reload MS Office Small Business, which is the next step, I am advised.

Any advice is welcome! Peter

Sorry peter, way , Way, WAY , above my head, but i am sure someone will come to your aid, Good luck with it those Bloody computers. :mad:

Other questions I meant to ask were..

- Have you installed anything recently?
- Have you tried loading it with your Anti Virus software disabled?

Hey peter,

Have you tried opening Outlook in Safe Mode - http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HP101407921033.aspx

The one you want it user intiated safe mode.

If you can get in that way, make sure you export all your data to a .pst file. - including the address book!

Once thats done, remove outlook completely using Add/Remove Programs.. shut down the computer - turn it back on again.

Re-install outlook.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for swift reply!

Yes, did that and no go. In fact we even removed the .pst file completly and Outlook still said the file was there and not closed properly?!?!

Next step is to do it again with MS Small Business which contains Outlook.

Peter

Other questions I meant to ask were..

- Have you installed anything recently?
- Have you tried loading it with your Anti Virus software disabled?

Yes, I (foolishlyI think) downloaded that MS program that check s if all your programs are valid. I regret doing this as it may be the issue but it may be a red herring. It did work for a few days after I downloaded that.

Yes, to disabling AnitVirus. No luck.

Peter

Peter

The solution is simple ... Mozilla Thunderbird!

Cheers
Lynn

I assume this is another email program. I had not considered that. Why solve a problem when you can go around it.

I assume all my MS files would convert.

What do people think of Modzilla?

Peter

Why solve a problem when you can go around it.

Peter

The only trouble is that you have to 'go around it' ... time after time after time etc ...

I used MS Outlook for ages and eventually succumbed to the urgings of hubby and 3 children, all of whom had used Thunderbird (emails) and Firefox (internet) for years. It was the best move I've ever made, technologically speaking - have had no problems whatsoever.

Cheers
Lynn

Peter,
I have used this service with success to remove a virus I had on my computer. And no, it didn't squeal, so it wasn't that virus. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html

Similar to SS, a forum of volunteer 'Geeks'. Whilst it may take a few days to resolve problems depending on where 'your helper' is in the world (due to time zones), it is free. It saved me a couple of hundred $$$ so I was happy as a pig in mud.

These geeks are legends. Sign up and start with the Welcome guide.

Good Luck!

Project 1080

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

I'd encourage you to do a search for *.pst.
You may have more than one, especially if you changed default folder location at some stage. BACK UP whatever PSTs you have.

And now would be a good time to check to make sure you have actually been backing up the pst file with the regular external backups you do each week :)

So go and have a look through your archives and see how big the pst file was.

Depending on what version of XPP or whatever you have, the pst used to be limited to 2GB. Such a large file that is constantly being written to is prone to failure......which is why I hate Outlook and prefer OE which at least doesn't stick everything in one file.

Have you received or sent any big attachments recently?
It is a good idea to archive email before a certain date, then delete those emails...so as to reduce the size of pst.

BTW, if you have an OST, they are even more prone to corruption because they are being written to and from a lot more intensively.

You could even try and open your pst on another computer to ensure it is not corrupted.

Times like these justify having a multiboot system in which you occasionally mirror your OS partition. You would then be able to just reboot into your multi menu, and boot up the backup partition.

If reinstalling Outlook didn't help, I'd take it to a good tech and let them mess with it. You could spend 16 hours on it and still not resolve it.....and probably make things worse.

Thank you Winston, it is very big at 1.27 GB and I have mutiple copies at the moment which may confise further and yes, I dont back up. I dont know how and not confident to do myself.:eek:

Anyone suggest a good western Melb, it mechanic, self recomendations are ok.:)

Peter

Back