Setting up website - hosting

Hi
Im trying to set up a website.
I have designed it with Frontpage and I am using Windows XP on my pc.

At the godaddy.com hosting choice, they have hosting (Linux) or (Windows). What should I choose? Windows choice has ASP thingy, while Linux has Java?

A few people told me its not depending on if i use Windows or not on my pc. BUt they are not sure as well....

Confused..:confused:

It's not depending on your OS however if you use Frontpage and plan on using Frontpage extensions you need windows hosting.

Alternative to ASP is PHP, which runs on both windows and unix, so it's better to use that.

Java is totally different thing.

Well in that case the only difference would be whether you are going to use PHP or ASP.

If you don't use either then it doesn't really matter what you choose.

ASP and PHP are programming languages for web pages. My guess is that, if you don't know what they are, you won't need them. If they support Front Page extensions, as long as it's the right version, you should be OK.

On my website, I chose to pay something extra for ASP because I was familiar, and comfortable, with it.

But my experience is extremely limited. There's many who can offer a lot more than I can.

Stranik, Geoff,
thanks!

PHP or ASP, which one is more flexible or easier to use?

I am doing my www with a simple Frontpage now, although in a few months i may hire someone to jazz up the design for me (eg adding videos, links etc). Would PHP be a better choice? (I notice somesoft website uses php)

I read online that the most widely used is PHP.

Rodimus

If Front Page works, keep it.

If you need to hire somebody else, let them make the decisions. Well, that's my opinion.

ASP is well behind the currrent technology now. MicroSoft people would probably use DotNet with ASPX. It's got some pretty nice features. It's more like Visual Basic vs Basic. (And if that doesn't mean anything, don't worry too much).

PHP is very popular. It may well be the most popular around. I have absolutely no experience in it, so I can't comment. But the fact that this site is written in php is not an indication of anything much- it is an "off the shelf" product. You can buy a vBulletin site, with all the programming you need for a discussion forum, for not too much money.

My choice was only because I had done some stuff in ASP a few years before, and my learning curve was a lot shorter. My brief was that I wanted to be able to change a whole heap of pages from time to time with minimal effort, and to add to those pages easily, with minimal learning time. I achieved that. When I add a new page, once I have the pictures loaded, I only have 10 lines of code to change to create a new page.(Though I haven't had the time
to add more to my site for some months now :( The really big job is modifying, enhancing and loading the pictures) .

You may wish to find a product which does the job you want. There may well be something out there.

php & *nix,
only as there are more samples-instructions-freeware around that can do whatever you need, be modified or added to in a simple manner. ([email protected]) am using DevPHP feeware from the sourceforge as my wysiwig
Both are extensible flexible languages with similar structures.

FrontPage does not work as you expect
A page you write in frontpage will look malformed on any other computer but one where the display is configured as yours.
Frontpage uses fixed sizes for imgs divs ps everything is set in the format width=XXXpx
If your screen is 1024*762 then the set size will look ok
mine is 1280*1024 or in widescreen 2560*1024 and your page will not look right. any person viewing your page in less than fullscreen will have to pan to see everything, and most people won't.
Intelligently designed development tools, and there are examples of wysiwyg as freeware set the sizes to XXX%, except for items that actually require a certain size like a click-me icon. That means that everything zoom with the page and the layout is preserved on any screen size or resolution.
If you are comfortable with frontpage, before ftping the developed file, change to HTML view and edit all instances of size=XXXpx to %s (400px is ~40% of a 1024 display)
example is the somersoft forums, where displayed images in the gallery, and this post as well, adjust as you change your monitor resolution, or drag the window borders and resize the window.

I use php,
php web site is
one script to read the folder structure and text descriptions placed inside them,
one script to display
one script to monitor the other two.
everything else is generated when you open the page

larger traffic sites, somersoft, has sql databases to keep track of all the posts,
I only use the database to log visitor locations on the map, actually had to write that one, thinking sucks

Last edited:
Hi, my first post here. I am no property expert (though hopefully I have picked up something from lurking) but I do have some experience in web development, so here's a chance for me to to contribute.

I agree with AlmostBob about Frontpage: it's not a good option. However since you have done your site in it, I would choose the Windows hosting for now, especially if you are very keen to get it live. You can always change hosting plans and development methods later, but it all depends on the nature of your site, your plans and your budget. Kinda like developing a property.

cheers
Mike
www.mwa.net.au

Stranik, Geoff,
thanks!

PHP or ASP, which one is more flexible or easier to use?

PHP is better in a sense that you are not locked in to Windows hostings, you can use either.

I myself prefer to write in PHP over ASP, as i like PHP syntax better than ASP, and i find PHP code easier to read.

But that's just my personal preference.

There are also more different free scripts in PHP than ASP.

Personally I'd go php and linux.

My main site www.giraffian.com is all php on a freebsd host (kind of like linux)

Depending on what your site is and how big it is, I'd either recommend do it yourself in plain html (if its small) or use some kind of CMS to do it all (if its big). There's a huge array of bulletin boards, blogs, wikis, you name it out there with squillions of features, and plenty are free. Myself, I have sites in Drupal, Wordpress, PhpBB and IPB.

And if its a small site, why not go free hosting somewhere? Eg, if it is a blog just use wordpress.com, or use the hosting space that you should have with your ISP?

Do u mean my Frontpage site will not display correctly on some pc if i choose LINUX hosting?

I dunno, from the godaddy hosting specs, it says for Windows Hosting (Frontpage search is not available) - whatever that means. Maybe it means when people do search on google the crawler cant detect my frontpage texts?
Anyway for the Windows hosting there seems to have quite a few limitations (eg. "this function not available" etc).

:confused:

Hey all,

Thought I would just weigh in (been a web developer for 6 years and run a web developing business for 3 of those) and now do freelance work.

As above, the difference between Linux and Windows is usually that you use ASP.net on Windows and PHP on Linux.

I have forever been a fan of php so have always hosted on Linux, but today just bought a windows plan so that I can use both PHP and ASP.net

It is important though to check this with your supplier as not all windows plans come with PHP/MySQL (its database equivilent).

Also as a side note that due to windows license costs the windows servers are generally more expensive than linux.

---

So, next question is what is the website for? Is it personal/community/business orientated?

The more information you can give, the more helpful I (and the rest of us) can be.

Also - who is the target of the website? If Australian based then you should consider Australian based servers - they offer faster response rates (quicker load times) then overseas conterparts.

If looking for Aussie then I recommend:

PHP - Linux - Jumba Web Solutions www.jumba.com.au
ASP.net (and PHP as well) - Windows - JGK Computer Solutions - www.jgk-cs.com.au

Any questions just shout out - more than happy to help the community that has given me so much property info :)

Cheers

Ben

Dave,

Jumba do not offer Windows hosting at all.
We run and manage our own servers these days and are far beyond being just a simple reseller.

We do have a server with AussieHQ on their network, but also have other servers in Melbourne from two other different providers as well.

-Gav L

Back