Shameful honesty

This will go down like a lead balloon with the left wing media and the whingers - of all ages - who simply want everything handed to them on a plate...because they know their rights....

Honest comment from a politician - views like this is why he enjoys a strong power base in WA. He'd be burned at stake in Tasmania or Victoria no doubt, but honesty goes down a treat on this side of the paddock.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...unrealistic-barnett/1/date/asc/127801/#thread

Hmm according to this article:
The average loan size for first-home buyers rose $2,700 to $277,000 in the month, while the average loan size for all home buyers dropped $2,200 to $281,500 in the same period, the ABS said.
http://news.domain.com.au/domain/fi...s-home-loans-drop-further-20110406-1d3np.html

Following on from that this survey indicates a 90% LVR is most common:
http://www.mortgagechoice.com.au/ab...rs-may-be-scared-off-by-small-rate-rises.aspx

Based on that we can assume an average purchase price of around $310k for FHBs.

Where are the first home buyers finding all these $310k 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom houses?

How many investment properties does Barnett own?

He didn't say you can buy a 4x2 for 310k dufus, he said fhb should adjust their expectations to what they can afford.

And what Joe is saying is the FHB is buying, on average, a house for $310,000. So either Barnett is wrong when he says most FHB are hanging out for the 4x2, or the numbers are wrong.

I think I'll go ahead and believe the numbers.

im a normal person with what i believe to be a normal upbringing.

at this stage in my life I want a ferrari but cannot afford one.

I cannot afford one so I either have to do without it or buy a BMW/Merc or a Honda/Toyota/Nissan

Do I complain about it or blame the government about not helping me or do I attack the previous generations for having it easy!

I simply say to myself, either I can't afford it or im not good enough financially to afford it.

Now even the crappiest $15k new car still is no where near the poverty line!

so if I cannot afford a 4 bdr 2bath with a big backyard within 20 mins of the CBD, then I simply accept this fact, and either look further out or look for a smaller place while weighing up my options and pros/Cons.

so this politician whoever he is (i don't profess to know or care) is saying it loud and clear, whether it will help his political image I do not know or care,

but good on him!

And what Joe is saying is the FHB is buying, on average, a house for $310,000. So either Barnett is wrong when he says most FHB are hanging out for the 4x2, or the numbers are wrong.

I think I'll go ahead and believe the numbers.

The way i read it is Barnett is saying the ones complaining they cannot afford to buy(which would imply they havent) have the expectation, who are the noisy ones.

The way i read it is Barnett is saying the ones complaining they cannot afford to buy(which would imply they havent) have the expectation, who are the noisy ones.

True, but there are still people buying. And what they are buying, according to the figures Joe put forward, would not be McMansions.

True, but there are still people buying. And what they are buying, according to the figures Joe put forward, would not be McMansions.

But those who ARE buying are just further evidence that what he says is true, and that if people lower their expectations they CAN afford to buy.

"Mr Barnett suggested the majority of first-homebuyers wanted “a brand new, four bedroom, two bathroom home” but should lower their sights."

I've yet to meet a single person who expects to buy a four bedroom, two bathroom house as their first home (unless, of course, they can afford to). Most 'property is too expensive' FHBs would be happy with a fairly modest abode but they either can't afford current prices or refuse to pay current prices. Arguing affordability is one thing. Making up cr*p is another.

But those who ARE buying are just further evidence that what he says is true, and that if people lower their expectations they CAN afford to buy.

It's a bit of a vicious circle. Those that are buying both prove and disprove his point. He said most first home buyers want 4 bed two bath.... The fact that the average first home buyer is spending $310 - $350 on their house, kind of disproves this statement.

But those that are buying reinforces that first home buyers CAN still buy something if they lower their expectations, I agree.

Been saying the same thing for years. Good on him. Same thing with all of these people wanting extra rooms to use as a "study" when they work at Supre and end up with junk rooms.

You make a fair observation rugrat (that it's those that are yet to buy that are complaining, not those who have bought and are in the statistics I quoted). But then where is Barnett getting this expectation that all the FHB wannabees that aren't buying are after 4x2s? Sounds like rubbish to me. I'm Gen Y and never heard any of my friends expecting anything like that for a first home.

Most 'property is too expensive' FHBs would be happy with a fairly modest abode but they either can't afford current prices or refuse to pay current prices.

In Carlton or Croydon (Melbourne) though? If it's not the shiny brand new house and land package with the 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and double garage that they're after, it's the inner city lifestyle and being extra close to work, that they want and seem to think they have an entitlement to. I'm sure most FHB's could afford a basic house in the suburbs and do the hard yards i.e. renovate a home AND travel to work until they can work their way up the ladder. I did it, and so have many others.

Hmm according to this article:

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/fi...s-home-loans-drop-further-20110406-1d3np.html

Following on from that this survey indicates a 90% LVR is most common:
http://www.mortgagechoice.com.au/ab...rs-may-be-scared-off-by-small-rate-rises.aspx

Based on that we can assume an average purchase price of around $310k for FHBs.

Where are the first home buyers finding all these $310k 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom houses?

How many investment properties does Barnett own?

the one's that are complaining don't actually buy anything just ***** and moan, the FHB's that adjust their expections do buy but at a cheaper level they can afford so the figures are correct. It is the not the FHB's that have bought who are complaining it is the one's that have not that we hear about on this site all the time.

Back