shift a house on block

We have a corner block that can currently fit 1 on, if we move the existing house fowrard on the block then we can fit 2. I don't think we have the funds to do this as we will likely have to fund 100% of the shift and then still need the deposit for the builds. Also the overall costs may eat the profit margin on the second build to make the risk:reward not stack up.

So unfortunately this is more of a 'for interest' excercise. Has anyone done similar how do my back of napkin numbers look?

Its a concrete ex department of housing box. Rought break down as i see it.
Stumps/Fottings 10k
Services 5k
Crane 10k
Council 2k
Compliance as its now a new dwelling? Tank/Insulation/few other bits 5k

Looked at a property with two blocks of land with old fibro house encroaching
on the spare block and quote was $12,000 to shift it two meters, this did not
include reconnection and council fees.

Its a concrete ex department of housing box. Rought break down as i see it.
Stumps/Fottings 10k
Services 5k
Crane 10k
Council 2k
Compliance as its now a new dwelling? Tank/Insulation/few other bits 5k

You cant pick up a concrete/brick house with a crane. The crane and the house would fall over.

For a move on the same block, they would need to build a beam platform under the property, dig out the old foundation and move it on rollers/dolleys.

So probaly take your original costs and double it. Get some quotes from house moving companies.

Hmm I would be more concerned as to whether you can actually do that or not. Under ResCode you have to setback your property by the average of your neighbours. Depending on the neighbourhood, most houses are setback by a similar amount anyway so moving the house forward would violate this principle.

interesting 12k to move the fibro, in effect i had allowed 20k being crain and new footings, but being on a hill i think this might have been low.

When i say concrete i mean the semi prefab stuff that was built at at homlseglen, they sit on stumps that are weather boarded in but the walls are concrete pannels. I wonder if they are too heavy to move i hadn't thought of overall limit.

Plenty of other houses are set closer to the street than this one.

All interesting points. I am sure i will com across one sooner or later like this that is viable to move the house.

For 20k use it as a deposit for the next IP!

What about a granny flat out the back of your exisitng house?

we think we can fit 1x3 bed on the back as it is. If we could move it as far forward as many other properties on the street would could change that to 2 x 2 bedroom units on the back. Effectively making useable land for opportunity cost of a bedroom on 1 unit and ~30-40k for moving the current house.

we think we can fit 1x3 bed on the back as it is. If we could move it as far forward as many other properties on the street would could change that to 2 x 2 bedroom units on the back. Effectively making useable land for opportunity cost of a bedroom on 1 unit and ~30-40k for moving the current house.

It would seem that the price (even if 30K) would be a small fee to pay for what is effectively a third plot of land. I don't think anyone would disagree with that (particularly in any capital city of Aus).
The concrete will need to be taken off site and disposed of and cladding or weather boards installed (cladding being the cheapest option - as a bonus I believe there are new products with insulation being an integral part of the cladding panels - making it easier to comply with 5 star (and greater) requirements.
Depending on the end values of the 2 two bed units versus the single three bed unit the (possibly up to) 30k for the extra plot is cheap I'm guessing.
If you can't afford to do it yet, begin your other 'flat block development' and see it to sale point to free up equity/cash to move forward....or go JV.

Back