Should ALL petrol engines be serviced every 5000?

I've been servicing my own Landcruiser every 5000kms and performing all other scheduled servicing and repairs along the way and I change every 4000kms because the viscosity gets thin and in my opinion is contaminated enough to stop performing as well as it should, let alone 5000.

Upon reading a manual for a Proton Persona, the manual tells to change every 15,000kms to retain a warranty.. This seems ridiculous, am I missing something with these newer/small engines?

Modern engines do have finer clearances and ergo less "blow by" of the piston rings, less petrol contamination and less carbon build-up.

If you get thinning of the oil then it needs to be changed but this may be because it doesn't stay hot for long periods (Is the cruiser a bit old?). The 15 K oil change periods would be qualified by a time factor. If it takes all year to do those Ks you are not boiling off water and petrol condensates.

Oils don't break down the way they once did either. ALWAYS use the best synthetic blended oil and if the manufacturer recommends it go full synthetic. That stuff lasts forever. :D

Thanks Sunnie.

The Cruiser is a 97 80 series auto with 190,000 on the clock. It uses about 1 litre every 5000 but nothing to worry about. There are brand new Cruisers that eat the same or more! The oil does seem to thin a little, and it drives mainly 20 minute intervals to and from work so it heats up enough. I'm thinking there may be a little fuel leaking in from the injectors because it smells a little gassy.. I think anyway, it's hard to tell with used oil.

The truck doesn't smoke, well it occasionally does when I'm 4wding and am accelerating (especially in reverse) and am on an angle, is this just oil getting burned because of the angle? Never smokes in normal driving mode. Just a thick puff here n there on the angles and accelerating heavily to get out.

I've been using Castrol GTX 20w/50 by the way. It gets hot up here (hence the 50). Any recommendations?

Thanks mate!

5000 is completely over the top. you could buy a new car and give it one mid life service then flick it off at year 3 and it would be fine. just chuck in the broadest spectrum synthetic oil you can find

I have a late 80s petrol patrol that will do 10 k plus between changes IF you use a decent oil as Mr Fish Said. book interval is 5k. Does depend on what you do with the thing though, if its all slow go offroad or much city work, engine hours are a better guide.

Also Have an old navara with a ZD30 turbo diesel where the book says 10, with a full synthetic 15 is comfy.

ta
rolf

the colour of your oil after 4 to 5 ks will be a good telltale if you are picking up excess carbon and/or shwoing early wear

2 schools of thought just from experience

Overservice the vehicle but use a just acceptable oil ( like in ur 4 k example)

Extend the service interval by using a Synthetic or at worst a synthetic blend

Generally the cost is similar if you are doing your own work.

If the oil isnt dark, and you go the overservice route, you likley only have to change the filter every second change too.

With an injected engine thats not worn and properly set up there is no reason why you would not get 10 k out of a decent oil before it becomes gluggy.

ta
rolf

It's a glorified air pump, nothing more.

Don't romanticise it like the service companies do. Just change the oil and filters about twice every three years and you'll be fine.

I think the last patrol hack we bought must have been owned by you : )

the oil was like treacle ...............and prob had 25 k on it

took 2 changes to make it NOT look like an old diesel

ta
rolf

I think the last patrol hack we bought must have been owned by you : )

the oil was like treacle ...............and prob had 25 k on it

took 2 changes to make it NOT look like an old diesel

ta
rolf

Haha!!

I know the petrol Touareg is 15000km, but that is synthetic oil.

Is my mechanic ripping me off?

I have a RAV4, and my mechanic says he should really do an oil change every 5000km and a full service every 10,000km. Is that over the top? I only do road driving, nothing off road.
Ally

Hiya

Id agree with what your guy on the ground says, because they know the car and to some extent the conds it gets driven in.

There are some conditions like very short distanc dricing where the oil should be looked at much more frequently than even 5 k.

ta

rolf

Depends on the vehicle. My cars have service intervals of 12,500km and 15,000km. Provided the service intervals are observed, and good quality (and the correct viscosity) oil and filter are used, and other service items are maintained, you should get several hundred thousand km from an engine.

Also, don't kill it with kindness. After warming it up, it's good to give it regular high revs and plenty of throttle. Long, fast trips are even better.

I have the ultimate bourgeiosmobile - the 1996 Hyundai Getz 1.4L sedan!

0 to 100 in under a minute, and holds the road like a sewing machine on marbles. When it rains, it floats like a bumblebee; and if it's windy too, keeping this thing in a straight line is like entering an impromptu extreme sports event.

Having had it serviced religiously every 6 months and done all of 37,000km since I bought it new in 96, I use the waste oil for salad dressing.

You really don't know what you're missing fellas!

Nothing wrong with going above and beyond the manufacturers recommended servicing /oil change intervals.

Ever notice that as soon as the warranty runs out the problems begin...

I do my cars at 5000 but I work in a garage. Our company vehicles are done at 15000, by that time the oil is black/brown then. But it does depend on the car.

drive around town, short trips, 97 rav, after a month the oil level is higher than maximum, smells wrong
do a round ttrip to our other town of IPs, 240k, oil level is back between low and high on the stick, smells better, feels better, crap must evaporate out
change oil and filter 10,000k coz thats what the book says
in winter, here -a lot degrees, the oil level seems to just go up no matter how far you drive, but the temperature needle falls low enough for the choke to kick in if you stop at a traffic light, need revs to keep warm

Back