should granny get a home

I am ready to build a granny flat and would like some referrals. My block meets all regulations and I understand the process and have finance ready but still feel a little uncertain. Access will have to be via my driveway and so I intend to just park my car on front lawn. I am worried about privacy issues although people who live in units are closer together. Two things then: must I build on a slab in order for it to be included in any future valuations? And has anyone used the nice chaps at Blue Gum Granny Flats?
Any other referral information greatly appreciated.

Hi julie,

You say you are ready to build a granny flat but you are uncertain?

Ie:
My block meets all regulations and I understand the process and have finance ready but still feel a little uncertain

#2-
I am worried about privacy issues

Personally i'd address these issues before and IF you proceed.

I just locked in a builder to start another granny flat for me.

After seeing the quality of his work I was more than comfortable paying the price he asked, great finishes, great build. It wasn't the cheapest, but for piece of mind, I am willing to pay a little more.

What is the area? You'll be looking at $115k (design and build incl GST) + Council fees.

I have met builders who will build me a brick veneer GF for $80k but I question how that is even feasible. The guy I chose, like I said, I am paying for piece of mind and great quality work at a very reasonable rate. Will have to jump through some hurdles when you first chat, he screens you to make sure you ain't a time waster.

I asked them to quote on my GF. Too pricey.

Well you build $60K GF. We will be looking to build something robust, not something which the bank won't touch with a barge pole.

The finishes are great - so I would go for something like this, otherwise I think $60K is a big chunk of money to throw away - especially if it counts for nothing in terms of valuations.

Well you build $60K GF. We will be looking to build something robust, not something which the bank won't touch with a barge pole.

The finishes are great - so I would go for something like this, otherwise I think $60K is a big chunk of money to throw away - especially if it counts for nothing in terms of valuations.

I was referring to my new GF. My guy quoted $105k (incl. GST), great finishes and extras.

GFAustralia quoted $130k (incl. GST).

New one is 2.7m high roof, looks like a house on a concrete slab. Great quality finishings. Nothing like my experiment manufactured one.

Bank valuations for granny flats are interesting, best talk to your mortgage broker about it. It is best to build first and finance after for best results, otherwise they value pretty poorly.

Last edited:
We have used Blue Gum to build two granny flats - and they were great. We would use them again. Our one at North Ryde is on their site

Normally access is with a path on the narrow side of the house - using the driveway impacts too much on the front house. Privacy for both places should be a big part of the design.

We used a concrete base on both of ours but still don't think they valued well - but really could not tell because o f general market increases.

We have used Blue Gum to build two granny flats - and they were great. We would use them again. Our one at North Ryde is on their site

Normally access is with a path on the narrow side of the house - using the driveway impacts too much on the front house. Privacy for both places should be a big part of the design.

We used a concrete base on both of ours but still don't think they valued well - but really could not tell because o f general market increases.

Hi Toni

How much did it cost you?

Are you able to share any pics?

thanks

There are heaps of pictures in the links below :

http://www.grannyflatsydney.com.au/north-ryde/

http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/projects/north-ryde-granny-flat-project

We always get three quotes and then compare and negotiate.
Blue Gum are very complete and open in their quotes and we did not have any issues once the price and job were agreed.

The North Ryde one was a case of them saving us after we stuffed up by trying owner-build (never again - obviously do not have nhg's aptitude for this). All up it was something like $120k - $130k but this could have been lower if done things differently. We also went for extras like a high ceiling and a concrete patio.

It was also designed so the granny flat does not impact the views available from the back of the main house - this involved some excavation and a retaining wall.

the granny

thankyou so much everyone. You gave me the information I needed and identified the issues concerning the building of a granny. I need more time to work through these issues as the privacy of the front house will be severely compromised if I go ahead. Good to hear feedback about Blue Gum as I found them very professional and if I go ahead it will be with them. thanks again, julie

Where possible, go for 2.7m ceilings.
With only 60sqm to play with, 2.7m makes the place feel substantially bigger than 2.4m ceilings.

Cost difference is minimal... around $3-$5k more.

Back