Should GST be raised and or broadened?

Some within that small minority breed like there is no tomorrow.

The more educated someone is, the fewer children they tend to have. Don't ask for a reference, it is common knowledge.
Agree, and scary...

The volume of of low education, low morals, low respect for anything, low ambition, high crime, high Gubb dependency...and so on - is increasing, while yer "desirable" types of humans - a type that we are supposed to be evolving to; a higher level, better level of ourselves -are decreasing.

Folks in Brighton, or Double Bay etc' one, two or occasionally 3 kids.

Back to topic; GST was brought in so other taxes could be dropped/cut - apparently.....

It's a no for me - we are already extremely highly taxed as a Nation.

but the GST just speeds up money movement to play economics dumbfuggery tricks - what does it add to the bottom line?

No tax I am aware of "adds to the bottom line" (other than for the government who collects it).

What the GST does is that it captures a lot of (as in a "broad range of") economic activity. It is difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to avoid. And, even better from the government's perspective, they don't really have to run around collecting it - other people (GST registered businesses, etc) do that for them. And now it is part of the "tax landscape" people are used to the idea of a GST. As Jean Baptiste Colbert said:

The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest number of feathers with the least possible amount of hissing.

GST scores very high on that basis.

I would be happy for GST to increase to 15% IF other taxes were removed such as payroll tax, land tax, fuel tax, super tax etc ... taxes that affect business and removal of such would hopefully make them more efficient and profitable - hence increase employment/research/development.

Back