Should single men be able to sit next to unaccompanied kids on planes ?

Who on earth would want to sit next to some UA's.

I couldn't think of anything worse = not a relaxing flight and certainly no chance of an interesting conversation.

By all means move me ----- but to the pointy end of the plane with a larger seat and a nice chardy. Oh hang on, we are talking Virgin.

Cheers

Oh Snob! I fly Virgin every week and i can tell a lot has changed. Qantas is on the way out.

Virgin now offers all passengers a free hot or cold drink any time and free alcoholic drink between 4pm and 7pm any flight. Canberra flights get free meals and any passenger that is not sale saver fair gets a meal as well.

Get one the new business class seats or even normal in the the A330 and enjoy the luxury of new planes and staff who care.

Peter 14.7

Here's a handful of things that have crossed my mind while I read this thread. In no particular order.

1. Homosexual ≠ paedophile. Not remotely.

2. I understand & accept the "policy" but completely disagree with the implementation. Plan ahead better with your seating allocation, if you fail at this point, leave the guy alone and just monitor the situation better, you've already got flight attendants doing laps the whole time.

3. I am slowly starting to realise that my normal helpful self can be seen as creepy, and as such, quite often second guess my offers to assist anyone, ladies struggling with shopping, other guys caught in the rain waiting for a bus while I drive past to the station, not just young kids who look lost.

4. (related to 2) Despite any common sense I usually possess, if I were the guy in the article, and I was asked to move away from the young boys, a voice in my head would probably have told me they were accusing me of paedophilia, I would have gotten offended, I would have kicked up a stink, and they would have had to arrest me before that plane went anywhere.

5. I understand that 3 and 4 seem contradictory. I don't care.

This is great post because as Man I am offended but as father I understand. You can see both sides.

On Point 1. Agree. My best mate is gay and he is safe with daughter or any child as any other friend. Sadly he knows he has to be careful because of perceptions re his sexuality.

Point 2. As I said above I fly Virgin a lot, have so every week for the last six years. I can advise:
  • The policy is to seat child at rear row or two , with a seat spare between them.
  • I know this as my preferred seat is rear row or pointy end. Not middle.
  • In all my time I have been asked to move once and moved myself once. I moved myself when they put a boy next to me but a seat in between. Why go there? and looked like he was grumpy.
  • Each time it was done with tact and no offence taken. Need trained savvy attendants.
  • 99% of non peak flights there are plenty of spare seats at the back.
  • 75% of peak there are spare seats.
  • It is when there is not a seat free, the issue arises

Whilst the policy discriminates it is the best they can do. Just like you don't see older persons in the exit row because they might in 0.0001% chance need to open and eject heavy door in the event of a crash. Is that discrimination. Some 60 plus guys could flip the door but most? hence they make a call.

Lastly, on protecting kids for those without...

Yes, wife and i were couple for long time before our daughter and I did not understand this stuff. Like sick kids on TV in telethons you feel sympathy but not pain....then you have your our child.

It changes you. Better or for worst, you change.

No if I see a seriously sick kid on TV I well up because i cannot help but think that child could be mine. You can feel the parents pain. You know, like you, they would take their own life if it meant the kid would live.

On pedophiles, male and female but mostly male, they are there. I live in small Country town where parents all know each other and thus there is the informal networks of "who is who" and the trust level you can ascribe BUT even here.... one of the worst pedophiles in VIC lived 10 minutes away and spent 30 years as a music teacher, teaching in his own home. You don't know.

Point 3. Been there. Try to be nice to someone and they can think you weird. Tourists not so much. I have often got a stranded male or female into the business lounge as guest but sometimes they doubt my motives. I have a free pass so why not be nice. Pay it forward I say.

Point 4 & 5. Agree.

Whilst I pity any obviously mentally ill, potentially abused themselves, person who does these things to kids and they need help .....IF some guy or girl did it to my daughter, I would slit his/her throat and feed the f#%^*r to my mates (another father) pigs and my mate would help me.

Yes it makes no sense but have a child and find out, Peter 14.7

This reminds me of the USA "pre-emptive strike". We will act now "just in case" a crime might be committed by someone. These types of policies sound all nice and safe and make us feel justified because "what could happen" is so horrendous but they have consequences..
This is why entrapment should be illegal. I think it is in Oz but not sure about the US where they could plant a child next to a suspected paedo and hope the guy molests the kid so they could then charge him. Wouldnt surprise me if it happens.

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry but I cannot answer because I'm smiling way too much :D.

There are a few here who are seriously delusional, and to have read into my posts and some others what (apparently) they mean is just funny.

Too funny.

I'm loving the bit about lazing around watching Oprah :D. Unbelievable. NFI.

What on earth are you talking about woman :confused:

"British Airways now seats unaccompanied children in their own area after businessman Mirko Fischer sued the company when flight staff asked him to move away from a child after he had switched seats with his pregnant wife."

So - the airline had done the right thing, and put a female next to the child - her husband swapped seats and then gets offended because he is asked to move back?

I don't see any fault with the airline on that one. He had his "allocated" seat and choose to move.

British Airways now seats unaccompanied children in their own area after businessman Mirko Fischer sued the company when flight staff asked him to move away from a child after he had switched seats with his pregnant wife.
BA denied its policy was discriminatory but admitted to sex discrimination in Mr Fisher's case and agreed to pay him £2161 in costs and £750 in damages.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/travel/tra...ntas-policy-20120813-243t4.html#ixzz23QHBZF4I

We can assume that had businessman Mirko Fischer sinned against a female the penalty would have been "significant".

Oh Snob! I fly Virgin every week and i can tell a lot has changed. Qantas is on the way out.

Virgin now offers all passengers a free hot or cold drink any time and free alcoholic drink between 4pm and 7pm any flight. Canberra flights get free meals and any passenger that is not sale saver fair gets a meal as well.

Get one the new business class seats or even normal in the the A330 and enjoy the luxury of new planes and staff who care.

Peter 14.7

Well, virign should limit the number of drinks for men to 2 because drunk men are more likely to rape little boys at high altitude and also announce to the rest of the cabin that the male passenger on seat 22F is on his second drink

Well, virign should limit the number of drinks for men to 2 because drunk men are more likely to rape little boys at high altitude and also announce to the rest of the cabin that the male passenger on seat 22F is on his second drink

Oh I think they just shouldn't serve alcohol to men at all cause there is a 0.000001% chance that a male with any alcohol in his system will go touch some little boys in the cabin.

FYI

They limit it to one drink free SYD to MEL. Being a 1 hr flight you are unlikely to order more than 2 and most i find don't. International is different.

Regards Peter 14.7

Oh I think they just shouldn't serve alcohol to men at all cause there is a 0.000001% chance that a male with any alcohol in his system will go touch some little boys in the cabin.

Since one or two drinks does not make you gay I would say the same for making you pedophile.

I dont flight international that often but I do have access to Virgin Lounge which is free and unlimited alcohol. I find most travellers are like me, simple glad to be going home and have one drink at best, unless delayed you don't have time. The coffee bar is larger than the drinks bar in Sydney for instance. Trying to get a coffee at 6am is line up!

Even AFL footballers behave! They avoid the fatty food and eat salad!

FYI Peter 14.7

I haven't read the whole thread - lost interest when it became loopy.

But I have had a great idea.

Next time I travel on a plane with my kids, I'm going to discreetly signal the hostie and suggest it might be prudent for me to be moved somewhere else.

I haven't read the whole thread - lost interest when it became loopy.

But I have had a great idea. Next time I travel on a plane with my kids, I'm going to discreetly signal the hostie and suggest it might be prudent for me to be moved somewhere else.

Already been suggested LOL

I'd pay. Even when travelling with my own kids. That fireman who Virgin pissed off can look after them while I hit the inflight bar.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/bl...-virgin-on-the-ridiculous-20120813-244ia.html

Sensible article.

We once flew Qantas Business Class SYD to MEL with new born:eek:

The Attendants were so clucky and wife so tired she simply handed daughter over and went to sleep.

That's service, Peter 14.7

I flew international today, sat next to a screaming baby during take off

Was hoping the airlines were consistent and put me on the sex offerenders registry because of my xx chromosomes, announcing on the speaker that a pedohphile was going to be moved from seat 22A, followed by MOVING ME to a more quieter seat!!

but they didnt!!!!!!!! wish they were consistent

Last edited:
I flew international today, sat next to a screaming baby during take off

Was hoping the airlines were consistent and put me on the sex offerenders registry because of my xx chromosomes, announcing on the speaker that a pedohphile was going to be moved from seat 22A, followed by MOVING ME to a more quieter seat!!

but they didnt!!!!!!!! wish they were consistent

I'm assuming it wasn't an unaccompanied baby?

For this to be a policy rooted in evidence rather than a reactionary knee-jerk to a perceived threat, each airline must have done research as to the frequency of males abusing children on airplanes, and found it happening often enough to warrant discriminating against men based solely on their gender.

For all those that are OK with this, and especially those that love statistics, my question is this - how many children have been abused by males on Virgin since they started flying, and how does this compare to abuse by females?

Jamie.

Back