Should this be covered under strata ??

Hi guys and gals ,

I have recently received an email from a lady that lives in the same complex of my property , which is a strata title .

She is looking after the strata management at this point in time while the transition period goes over to a new strata company as the old one was garbage.

Money has been approved to remove a tree in my backyard that is causing damage to the driveway as it has large roots . The have agreed to cover it under strata . However she has said the side fence on the left side of the house(faces the shared driveway) will have to be removed to enable access for the tree to be removed , she has then said it should be put back with a colour bond fence with a gate like all of the rest in the complex . (mine being the only out dated one apparently)

I am quite handy so i`m thinking of removing the fence myself , Putting up some temp fencing , then when its done just put the old fence back . I could not care less about the colour bond fencing . But if I can get in under strata then why not... it why I pay levies after all

Should the replacement of the wooden fence to a colour bond fence be covered under strata ... I am unsure , if all strata title's are different could someone please tell me where I cant find this info ??

Kind regards ,
Josh

However she has said the side fence on the left side of the house(faces the shared driveway) will have to be removed to enable access for the tree to be removed , she has then said it should be put back with a colour bond fence with a gate like all of the rest in the complex . (mine being the only out dated one apparently)

The fact that it is a shared driveway in my opinion means it should be covered under strata.

Given its related to fixing a driveway caused by a tree (the tree would have been there before construction on the unit), is more reason as to why its covered under strata.

Without knowing the particulars of your strata agreement, on the surface, this sounds like it should be a strata issue.

I'm curious to know why your fence didn't get updated with the rest of the fences? Did the strata pay for the other fences to be updated?

Without knowing the particulars of your strata agreement, on the surface, this sounds like it should be a strata issue.

I'm curious to know why your fence didn't get updated with the rest of the fences? Did the strata pay for the other fences to be updated?

I have emailed her asking for the strata agreement , as well as if the other property's had their fences coved under strata . Will keep you posted

Cheers for the reply guys :)

I know in one of the Strata complexes I am involved with, side fences are at the cost of the owner, as its within the back garden, back fences are covered as they adjoin neighbouring property.

This is no doubt why the fence has not been updated, it looks like the others have paid but previous owner would not.

Maybe as its a shared driveway Strata may pay half.

Chris

As per Chrispy, the fence abuts common property & private property (ie yours). If the yard is yours (on title not by an exclusivity agreement) sounds like a 50/50 split. If it an exclusive use for the yard, then you need to go back to the document to check liability for maintenance & repairs, as it would have been common property originally.

Back