Shout out to FMS - She finally gets it!

We have engaged FMS from the forum as our mortgage broker.

Just had a great meeting with him, where he went through the basics of financing for property investment.

I am not the type that understand financial matters easily, my maths skills are poor, probably at Year 8 level. I learn by being shown, rather than by reading. To credit, however, I am brilliant at writing, history all the arts subjects so I'm not completely thick. I just don't do maths.

I understand the basics.

I understand LMR, LVR .. typo typo (edit) I understand why you pay interest only, I understand the difference between redrawing on your mortgage and a line of credit. I understand how we can borrow $1.2million (not that we will) without having to borrow $1.2million in one hit and pay interest on it (yes, despite reading a few books that's what I thought).

I understand cross-collateralisation, and I understand how you buy one, hold, repeat - apparently we can do that 3 x before we need to

I even understand the tax benefits of the way one structures their loan.

FMS was really down-to-earth, (my kind of person), patient (necessary with Miss Maths dumbo here) and in no way pushy (have had that in the past, one hung up on me when I said I wasn't ready to proceed with a purchase).

I am feeling such a sense of a relief that I now understand the basic financial concepts, and at no time did I feel like a dummy, any and all questions I asked, some of which I thought were really dumb, he answered and said I am not the only one who asks them.

Next step on our journey is to restructure the loan on our PPoR, and we buy. Hooray!

Last edited:
We have engaged FMS from the forum as our mortgage broker.

Just had a great meeting with him, where he went through the basics of financing for property investment.

I am not the type that understand financial matters easily, my maths skills are poor, probably at Year 8 level. I learn by being shown, rather than by reading. To credit, however, I am brilliant at writing, history all the arts subjects so I'm not completely thick. I just don't do maths.

I understand the basics.

I understand LMR, I understand why you pay interest only, I understand the difference between redrawing on your mortgage and a line of credit. I understand how we can borrow $1.2million (not that we will) without having to borrow $1.2million in one hit and pay interest on it (yes, despite reading a few books that's what I thought).

I understand cross-collateralisation, and I understand how you buy one, hold, repeat - apparently we can do that 3 x before we need to

I even understand the tax benefits of the way one structures their loan.

FMS was really down-to-earth, (my kind of person), patient (necessary with Miss Maths dumbo here) and in no way pushy (have had that in the past, one hung up on me when I said I wasn't ready to proceed with a purchase).

I am feeling such a sense of a relief that I now understand the basic financial concepts, and at no time did I feel like a dummy, any and all questions I asked, some of which I thought were really dumb, he answered and said I am not the only one who asks them.

Next step on our journey is to restructure the loan on our PPoR, and we buy. Hooray!

What's LMR :confused:

Knowledge is important, obviously. However, how you use that knowledge and the mental side are just as important. Are you comfortable with debt? Can you handle tenants, even if through a PM? Do you know the combinations of offset, LOC, etc that allow you to maximise flexibility and minimise interest? When to use other entities?

Knowledge is important, obviously. However, how you use that knowledge and the mental side are just as important. Are you comfortable with debt? Can you handle tenants, even if through a PM? Do you know the combinations of offset, LOC, etc that allow you to maximise flexibility and minimise interest? When to use other entities?
I'm not comfortable with debt. For example, if I found out I owed the bank $800k, I would freak out!!! (I don't, by the way). So ever since my first IP purchase I made a deal with myself to never find out how much I owe. Of course I have had some vague idea, but never a concrete number. Instead I choose to focus on servicing and cashflow. If I can make the repayments with an IP not rented AND I have a backup to give me a buffer for many months in case I lose my job, then I am happy to proceed. Note it is easier to deny debt when you own parts of IPs. I know the LVR of the portfolio but don't take the next step to breakdown the loans into percentages and add up my share. That's my deal with myself. :D

We had no discussions about zoning, he was here to discuss finance.

LMI is about insurance. LVR - loan to value ration

LMR - the typo LMR is a development block in Brisbane.

Totally comfortable with debt, sure we could go out and buy 3 in a row, but won't.

Alex, "Are you comfortable with debt? Can you handle tenants, even if through a PM? Do you know the combinations of offset, LOC, etc that allow you to maximise flexibility and minimise interest? When to use other entities?"

Had tenants before, property managed in Brisbane, all okay, comfortable with it. Really, you have to be or don't invest in property.

Alex: I'm assuming LMR is typo for LMI - lenders mortgage insurance?

Nope, I would have thought someone as experienced as you would have known a typo for LMR would mean LVR.

Sheesh, give me a break!

Simple typo as Ive been looking at properties in Brisbane, some development properties are listed as LMR, no idea what that is.

The M is 3 keys down from the V on my computer, so just a typo.

Perthguy - If we buy 2 properties, which is my plan (not Bob's, but he'll come around :)) We will owe the bank or banks $300K on PPoR, and $800-$900K on 2 IPs.

I think we are being conservative!

I now understand LVR, we're at 80%, we could go to 90 or 95% - I actually understand that now. We won't do it, and we won't buy 3 off the bat, I am really comfortable with structuring things so we have the LOC, and buying one up to $500K property to start, hopefully as close to neutral gearing as possible.

One needs long slender fingers to get to a key three down, a feat only an accomplished concert pianist such as myself can manage with ease.

I'm not comfortable with debt. For example, if I found out I owed the bank $800k, I would freak out!!! (I don't, by the way). So ever since my first IP purchase I made a deal with myself to never find out how much I owe. Of course I have had some vague idea, but never a concrete number. Instead I choose to focus on servicing and cashflow. If I can make the repayments with an IP not rented AND I have a backup to give me a buffer for many months in case I lose my job, then I am happy to proceed. Note it is easier to deny debt when you own parts of IPs. I know the LVR of the portfolio but don't take the next step to breakdown the loans into percentages and add up my share. That's my deal with myself. :D

I don't understand your logic here, perthguy. I think knowing exactly what you owe on each property, outgoings, rental return, loan repayment etc is crucial to being a successful property investor.

I read the title of post and thought "whoa - Colin is a she?????"

Seriously though - great feedback and well deserved. In most industries you often hear about the bad so it's always nice when someone makes an effort to point out the good.

Cheers

Jamie

Back