shower base tiles - which size is better?

Tiling a hobbed shower base. Shower dimension 900 by 1200mm.

Wondering if I should go small mosaic tiles or large tiles.

The remainder of the bathroom is to be tiled with either 300 by 300mm or 300 by 600mm.

What are some pros and cons of either option?

Which would you choose?

I recently picked tiles for our new PPOR (which is being built) and was told by the lady at the tile place not to go any larger than 200 x 200 for floor tiles in wet areas as it's diffcult for them to be laid to Australian standards if they are too large.... having said that I've seen plenty of photos in magazines of bathrooms with big tiles but most of those rooms are huge so maybe the bigger the bathroom the bigger the tile you can get away with :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not a tiler, but my understanding is you can get a better fall towards the drain with smaller tiles.

That's correct. You have to get 'fall' to the drain. It is almost impossible to do it with large tiles. In fact the only way to do it with large tiles is to cut them (into a lot of pieces) and people don't know why it has to be done (as it ruins the look):rolleyes:

a shower base is effectivly a cone type of shape , and as tiles don't bend very well the larger tyles will protrude at the edges and points, especially over a 450 mm tile width, "yes" the smaller the tile the easier it gets , but a 200mm x200mm tile would work very well.

If you are using 300x300 tiles for the floors, these are the most common sized tiles to also tile the shower bases with. In majority of the renovations we do for clients, these are the sized tiles they use for the shower bases, anything much bigger will get more fiddly as you have to do more cuts.

If the shower base has been screeded properly and waterproofed, then the tiling part won't be too hard.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Don't forget smaller tiles = more grout = more cleaning!

I'd agree with 300x300. I don't mind the cuts in the larger sized tiles though to be honest as long as they're neat.

Cut the tiles to be used on the floor into 100mmx100mm, arise the edges and lay in shower base, giving a uniform look to the overall floor area.

If you want to get a more upmarket finish , divide the shower base area to finish with full tiles on all four sides of the shower base.

Gerd

Well the book I use as reference indicates the fall needs to be 1 in 60 in the shower recess so if the tiler can get that in large tiles all good. If not well thats up to the tiler you just need to be sure the tiler will be there in case it leaks.

Brian

something else I have seen is to move your drain into a corner, or have a strip drain (i have no idea what you call them - strip of stainless steel drain along an entire edge of the shower) and then have fall going towards that corner/strip. Then you can use whatever size tile you like.

the only thing mandated in the aussie standards is that you have to have sufficient fall (i think the 1 in 60 figure is correct. i personally measure the fall with laser beam precision using my eye and squinting hard) and for water not to pool.

Back