Side and rear setback of strata subdivision in Whitehorse area

Hi Guys,

We own the front plot of a strata subdivision with common land down one side for driveway access to the rear unit.

Could anyone tell me if the rules are the same for building to the boundary of the common land as it is to the adjacent block (side and rear setback = length)?

There are neighbouring properties on both sides (i.e we are 7 block from a corner)

I am after information on building height, and length for building to the boundary of the common driveway.

I think the rules are:

Length is 10 m + 25% of remaining length for building to boundary and 3.6 meters maximum height.

I will hopefully have time to get down to the council some time this week, but can't wait!!!

Regards

Hi LazyHorse,

Also when you give council a call to talk to the planner, remember they will give you the setback for habitable dwellings. We've had a few subdivisions in and around Vermont, which brick garages have been built on the boundary which is no problems at all.

As Aaron said ResCode will apply, which can be found online, but it is significantly easier talking to a town planner / building designer / architect.

Good luck with the project! :)

Hi Stacey,

Cheers for the reply. I had spoke to, I think, planning at Whitehorse previously via telephone about the zero clearance garage, and they said they encourage it, as long as both parties were OK with it

Anyway, we went down to the council today, and were so distracted by the fact the girl at the counter told us we don't own the land we think we do, we forgot all our question to ask of the planner on duty.

I think our main question was would they give any leeway or flexibility to the side and rear setback if the boundary was to a common driveway, but didn't get the chance to ask, he just handed us a leaflet with the standing res codes for setbacks.

I got the feeling though they possibly give more flexibility to side / rear setback than to front setback.

I was hoping to build to two stories plus pitched roof with 1.1 metre side setback from common driveway.

Any way, stressful household, tonight not knowing where we stand with the title.

Regards

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

It's all good...happens all the time having two first names :D

I would agree that the front is most important, although not to say sides don't have any importance as they will factor greatly in planning.

Interesting you bring up the flexibility issue. In the last few months spoken to my architect numerous times about the flexibility of design in building new homes, and she agrees that a well-designed building that works with the neighborhood and shows significant respect to adjoining dwellings can bend the rules (slightly!).

I'm not saying that everyone should go out and design against ResCode, but from what I've gathered for simple residential subdivisions they're not 100% set in concrete. (Any designers feel free to add here!).

I know it may be a silly question, but do you have a current copy of title?

Cheers

Back