Signing amendment to development application

We were asked by our builder to sign an amendment to the development application because the finished floor level is lower than the approved plans.

Problem is they only sent us the last page of the application (where the signature goes) and didn't send the whole of application filled. We're asking for the whole document.

We had problems with them adding and deleting things to the construction plans. E.g deleting some feature bricks, deleting croosover, adding infill panels above windows.

We don't want to sign anything that'll allow them to make whatever changes they want to the revised plans.

Question is, is lodging an amendment normal for finished floor level?

Also can they add or delete things to the construction plans without our approval?

Is it time to consult legal advice. Will need recommendations.

Time to lawyer up. This may be your out if you want to bail on the contract. May at least be a price reduction in it.

Don't sign unless you see the whole document.

Yep, would be getting onto a solicitor asap. I'm guessing they're getting you to sign the amendment to say that you agreed to the changes and then can't get out of the contract for those changes.

Which builder was this? I'm keen to know as I'm going to be building in Canberra in the next six months. Feel free to PM me the details if you don't want to post on here.

Whether the builder can add/subtract items depends on the terms of the contract however normally even if they are allowed to make changes they can only do so with your agreement and approval of the resultant saving or additional cost prior to proceeding.

I would definitely not be signing any forms without the full documentation.

Regards

Andrew

We're part way through building already. Any recommendations on who's well versed on building contracts in my State, please pm me.

Athenaa- Agree with all comments above- the builder can not make these changes without your approval. Contact your solicitor and have them request the full documentation to review before you sign anything :)

Holly

Back