Signing the Contract

Hi All,

I was wondering if contracts had to be signed in person or if it is something a agent can email you which you can sign, scan and send back to them?

The reason i asked is because I recently had to sign a contract and the agent was adamant that it had to be done at their office.

Luckily, i was only about 30mins drive from their office, which was still a little inconvenient.

What would happen if the property / agents office was 2-3 hours away or interstate?

Regards,
Robbie

Never sign a contract in an agents office. Take the contract away and show your solicitor first and then sign. You can then let the agent exchange contracts.

You could sign and scan a copy to them but it is the original that is exchanged. Remember you haven't got an enforceable contract until you have their signed contract.

How are things done, in terms of signing original contracts, if you investing interstate or somewhere further out?

As you mentioned, you can use faxes, but then you always open to being gazumped on the deal.

Lawyers and Banks still operate in the 1880's.

Originals posted, delivered by stage coach, seems to be the only acceptable version. Quills optional.

So what you could do it ask the agent to email you a copy of the contract, get your solicitor read over it, print it, sign it, scan/email back to the agent as well as send a copy in the post, preferably same day delivery?

Son's recent purchase was signed in agent's office, driven by agent to vendor, who countersigned. Copy sent via fax to son's work, signed, and agent called around later to (I presume) get the original signed.

As far as I know, the faxed, signed and faxed back copy is "legal" or he would have just driven to the office earlier in the day rather than fax it first and drive once he had the signature faxed back.

Last time we sold, hubby was at the coast and the "back and forth" negotiations were done by fax too. I cannot recall hubby having to sign the originals, but that is probably the case.

Back