Singapore trip

it smells odd but lots of people love to eat it in SE Asia and it is very popular.

i personally don't like it. i know it is banned in certain hotels and places as well.

Durian

Hiya

There is durian and there's DURIAN:D

It is just like Tofu; you must eat it prepared at its best and then you will start to appreciate it...otherwise it will come across as bland:p and you will give up soon...

Similarly, the durian....there are different types of durian.....go for the best...i think my brother talks about "88" durian in Singapore....

How do i know? i have trained my Irish better half to be a connoiseur (sic) of both the tofu and the durian.....he asks for it everytime we go back to Singapore ...in other words there is hope for everyone:p

- Chili Crab in any Coffee shops, its cheaper, else you may want to go Ang Mo Kio for the best one.

- Clarke Quay - Brewerks for fresh beers! Or Hooters for not so fresh you know what :)

- Sentosa/Universal Studios for the kids

- Orchard for Shopping, Chinatown/Mustafa for cheaper ones, but Orchard still is cheaper compared to any city here.

Hiya

On my last trip, my sister met me at the airport with 1 kg of bak kwa (barbecued pork..very very expensive here but cheap la in Singapore)...we then proceeded to munch through it all before i checked out of the airport:eek:boy! was that good!

OMG - BBQ Pork - drool! The "butcher/deli" at Changi airport that has the pink/orange packets with blue highlights - yum!

Just buy a "smart card" type transport card on your first day. We just jumped off buses or got off trains wherever looked interesting. Eating is the national sport there (batter fluffy flaps anyone?), so so good. Plenty of activities as well thank goodness!

"Four floors of whores......"

Dangerous because:
1). Violent / life threatening?.......other than if your wife/girlfriend finds out.
2). Once you go in you might not want to leave?
3). The gay bartender is a terrible singer?
4). You're worried about what might happen if you ever get to the fourth floor?

Never been there but heard a bit about it.....

It's on my bucket list!!

Cheers,

Ian.

"Four floors of whores......"

Dangerous because:
1). Violent / life threatening?.......other than if your wife/girlfriend finds out.
2). Once you go in you might not want to leave?
3). The gay bartender is a terrible singer?
4). You're worried about what might happen if you ever get to the fourth floor?

Never been there but heard a bit about it.....

It's on my bucket list!!

Cheers,

Ian.

It's just made my bucket list too along with Blok M in Jakarta.

Singapore Food

Hiya

When i was growing up in Singapore, the minute i open my eyes, my grandma would ask me what i wanted for breakfast...do i want congee (fish, chicken or pork), or noodles (dry, wet, laksa,fried, etc), rice cakes (fried, steamed), fried fritters, or yam cakes? etc etc etc she then trots off and buys it from the "wet" market...and that is every day....

Lunch: would i want chicken rice? char kway teow? prawn noodles? seafood soup, Indian food, Malay food etc etc etc
all bought fresh from food market

Afternoon tea: dumplings, red/green bean (hot or cold) soup, steamed rice noodles, etc etc etc
washed down with sugar cane juice, soya bean freshly made, etc etc etc

It was not until i grew much older that it dawned on me that the rest of the world did not eat like that!:eek:

It has been a slow, sad decline for me since i moved Down Under:eek:

It has been a slow, sad decline for me since i moved Down Under:eek:
Try moving to Europe .. Australian food is great by comparison (unless you go to Spain of course).
Yeah Singapore is pretty good for food though, especially the pepper crab & chilli fish.

Hi Forum Members,

I am back from Singapore wow had a great time

Did the below and enjoyed every bit of it

1> City tour
2> Hop on , hop off bus
3> Shopping
4> Local food
5> Sentosa island
6> Universal studios

I would def go there again, but for next year planning to head off to Dubai (desert safari, belly dancing, river cruise and some gold shopping :)

Hi Forum Members,

I am back from Singapore wow had a great time

Did the below and enjoyed every bit of it

1> City tour
2> Hop on , hop off bus
3> Shopping
4> Local food
5> Sentosa island
6> Universal studios

I would def go there again, but for next year planning to head off to Dubai (desert safari, belly dancing, river cruise and some gold shopping :)

This is great timing. I am off there in 3 weeks time. How would you rate the local food to other places in SE Asia?

This is great timing. I am off there in 3 weeks time. How would you rate the local food to other places in SE Asia?

Hi,

You lucky chap, good to see you are taking some time off. I would strongly recommend local food , try local food courts (you would find food crts at every MRT station and in every shopping centre)

Also if you are travelling by Singapore Airlines, keep the boarding pass and collect the SIA privileges book from the airport (get discounts at selected restaurants, shopping centres, attractions, travel, etc)

If you want to chill out and want to have a drink go to Clarke Quay or Boat Quay (in the city), its a famous tourist place where you would see heaps of restaurants and they have happy hour most of the time

Feel free to share your experience once you are back

Wish you good luck

I found the best way to get around was taxi...they are unbelievably cheap unlike here in Australia!

Little India after dark was a very scary place...not recommended.

Universal Studios was the most memorable experience...best advice is to go straight to customer service and get VIP tickets so you avoid lining up for everything! They sell out of the VIP tickets by lunch time - learnt the hard way.

Back