Plan my trip

Hi All

We are off to London this year, June-July, so we have some time to plan.

Not particularly excited about London, but daughter no. 1 is living there at the moment. The plan would be to tour UK only, not interested in going anywhere else. It will be 4 week trip.

Would you hire a car?? or go train.

I have never been to Scotland, this is number one on the agenda, with these attractions its a must. Any other suggestions, will be welcome

Shame about the Aussie $, by the time we go it will possibly be around 70 :eek: that's going to hurt.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...7&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgwkHsxCHfq6-g

MTR:)

I would probably do what you want / need to do in London then train / fly to Newcastle then hire a car, head to the Lake's District then north into Scotland. IMO you need a car for Scotland. Depends how quickly you like to move but I think that would be plenty of ground to try to cover in 4 weeks.

I would probably do what you want / need to do in London then train / fly to Newcastle then hire a car, head to the Lake's District then north into Scotland. IMO you need a car for Scotland. Depends how quickly you like to move but I think that would be plenty of ground to try to cover in 4 weeks.

Yep, I lived in Scotland for a few years, you need a car.

Hi

Being from the UK I would hire a car, we where back home July just gone and hired a car for about 22 days cost about $450 through Europe Car booked directly through their site can't remember if I used the AU or UK one play around with both. We hired from Heathrow to go visit family up north and dropped it back off same place before catching train back to London for our trip to Paris.
If you prefer train check out http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ closer to the time as sometimes you can get specials. You can book 13 weeks in advance also try maybe booking say London to Liverpool first and see the cultural stuff at the Albert docks and the Beatles things. Then you can also get your next train to the Lake District its beautiful up that way but so much easier to get into the heart of it all by car. After which another train to Scotland. Or maybe one way by train and back down by car.
I still believe a car is better driving in the UK is easy and straight forward, it also gives you the advantage of stopping off where ever you please and a chance to see more as you can travel up the west coast and return by the east coast and also if time you have to do Wales on the west and Dover and Devon down south. Seriously its a small country compared to over here. London to Scotland depending on how you drive and stoppages can be done in about 8 hours give or take if you go the direct route. All depends what you are looking for Castles Stately Homes Chocolate Culture Nature Beaches Oldie Worldly Stuff its all there and more. Plus you can do a short trip to Paris by Euro Train from St Pancreas Station direct to centre of Paris if you have time.
Have fun with your planning of it all.

Thanks
Looks like we will be organising a car for Scotland, hope the roads are OK.

Lots of tips here:)

Not particularly excited about London, but daughter no. 1 is living there at the moment. The plan would be to tour UK only, not interested in going anywhere else. It will be 4 week trip.

MTR:)

MTR - why aren't you interested in going anywhere else?

4weeks in the UK is a fairly long time IMO.

You could easily venture outwards for short trips. The beauty of that area is everything is so close. A couple of hours, either on the road, or by plane/train and you can be in a different country all together.

Scottland is worth your effort - car is recommended.
Ireland is also worth a visit.
I would strongly recommend a short flight to Iceland - an amazing country, easy to enter and very friendly. Jump in a car and go for a drive - you could cover a lot of ground in a short space of time - 4days or so which I guarantee you wont regret.
Wales - I haven't been but have heard it is worth the effort also

The EU is all very short (and very cheap) flights/drive/train journey away. And visas are mostly not required, or available on arrival for Australians. Just check before you travel.

If I was in England for 4whole weeks 1) I would go insane and 2) I wouldn't bother with a car. UK public transport routes are very easy to navigate and put you within a short walk of anywhere you want to be.
Only get a car if you are planning on taking a drive to another country.

Blacky

I actually thought about transferring some money over to my daughters bank account in London.

I use xe trade, I think I pay $24 for each transaction which is very cheap.
Something to consider for sure

When you look at the numbers from January 2014 the US Dollar is up and grown 15% against the Euro ,and 48% against the Ruble ,and as we are going over there in about 6 weeks we are just taking US dollars,maybe the exchange rate shifts will work in our favour,just be carefull with credit cards if they charge foreign transaction costs as my daughter found out a few week back,they can add up very quickly..imho..cash..

The City of Bath is well worth a day trip.

We did it by rail, then did a tour on a double-decker bus after arriving, then walked evereywhere else.

Ancient Roman Baths are a must-see.

Traveling to Ireland (by plane) is a day wiped off the calender; by the time you get to Heathrow or wherever, and get out of customs at the Ireland end - kiss a day goodbye.

Wouldn't go to Ireland for less than 2 weeks - wouldn't do it justice.

Love to go to Ireland but we don't have much time so we will have to do this next year.

I'll look into the exchange rates etc

I am going to exchange money before we go. When we went to Hong Kong we thought we would get a better rate there but no so, was better here in Oz.

Try Ozforex they do good rates and also do a travel card too. We got one for our Holiday in July/Aug to use in Hong Kong and Paris never needed it for the Uk as we still have a UK bank account so just transferred money direct to there again using Ozforex. They are pretty decent rates with them. Oh and the travel card lasts for 3 years.

just be carefull with credit cards if they charge foreign transaction costs as my daughter found out a few week back,they can add up very quickly..imho..cash..

I've used Travelex cards in Europe about 6 years ago and in the US a few months ago. Perfect solution. You top the card up with your local currency and then it works just like a local credit card. No international transaction/exchange fees upon use.

Lord Mayor!

Take the Lord Mayor's Free Walking Tour of Bath!
Lasts a couple of hours, full of salacious stories, Fabulous architecture, and small but very expensive $$ Shops.
As long as you have some walking shoes you will be fine!
So worth the visit.
here is the link

http://visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-maps/explore-the-area/mayor-of-bath-honorary-guides-p43001

Another day out which is fabulous, YOu dont have to be on the telly if you don't want to!
Go to a second hand shop (Car Boot) Check up where the Antiques roadshow is filming and bring your 'Treasure' We had a wonderful day, being educated! Cost Zero! (My kind of adventure!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow/antiques

I hope this helps

Try Ozforex they do good rates and also do a travel card too. We got one for our Holiday in July/Aug to use in Hong Kong and Paris never needed it for the Uk as we still have a UK bank account so just transferred money direct to there again using Ozforex. They are pretty decent rates with them. Oh and the travel card lasts for 3 years.

I use Ozforex and HIFX. No fees and very easy.

We did a dawn tour of Stonehenge, this and a tour of Punchs house in Chelsea were the only things I prebooked, every else we just winged. Stonehenge was amazing, only 12 or so people could go on the dawn tour, I think it was close to the solstice. The Punch house, once a month they do a tour with an actor in character leading it, it was marvellous. My DD was 10 and the actor (playing a housemaid ) is telling her she is old enough to start work there . Neither of these was expensive but needed to be booked in advance. I lied, we did also book a narrow boat for a week, that was expensive but worth every cent. Half your luck. Next year, we are going for three months and I am hoping to do a house swap.

Back