Singapore trip

Singapore areas

Because of the cheap Scoot fares, I organised a ladies 50th b'day getaway for 9 days to meet up in Singapore in early March 2013 & I booked in Little India area for the first 3 nts as the Ibis Bencoolen being reasonably new had a special deal on? Hope I haven't done the wrong thing to initiate their visit there so can you elaborate please as they will all hate me if this area looks third world & does not feel safe - I don't want to have to warn them that someone may be after their organs!

I haven't been there for 10 years & got a shock to see the the hotel prices as myself & another friend said we'd shout the other 2 friends as they're broke, so when I saw the Superstar cruise left 3 nts later & had a 2for1 special on I booked the last 2 cabins on it - at least it has 3 meals a day & entertainment for similar price of a decent hotel room!
I have been looking for weeks now trying to decide on a good hotel near Boat/Clarke Quays for last 3 nts but not many have good reviews about either the rooms or constant noise all night from band music so trying to locate a central hotel within walking distance & safe at night to walk home to or should I tell all of us to go do some kick boxing lessons before going?
Thanks, Kathy

Because of the cheap Scoot fares, I organised a ladies 50th b'day getaway for 9 days to meet up in Singapore in early March 2013 & I booked in Little India area for the first 3 nts as the Ibis Bencoolen being reasonably new had a special deal on? Hope I haven't done the wrong thing to initiate their visit there so can you elaborate please as they will all hate me if this area looks third world & does not feel safe - I don't want to have to warn them that someone may be after their organs!

I haven't been there for 10 years & got a shock to see the the hotel prices as myself & another friend said we'd shout the other 2 friends as they're broke, so when I saw the Superstar cruise left 3 nts later & had a 2for1 special on I booked the last 2 cabins on it - at least it has 3 meals a day & entertainment for similar price of a decent hotel room!
I have been looking for weeks now trying to decide on a good hotel near Boat/Clarke Quays for last 3 nts but not many have good reviews about either the rooms or constant noise all night from band music so trying to locate a central hotel within walking distance & safe at night to walk home to or should I tell all of us to go do some kick boxing lessons before going?
Thanks, Kathy

There is no part of Singapore that is third world but it all depends on the sort of people you are. There are people for whom anything they are not used to leads to them freaking out and being delicate flowers, if that is the case then little india may be an assault on the senses. Ive had plenty of friends stay there with absolutely no problem and my grandmother who is in her 80s goes there pretty regularly for dinner etc and has no issues whatsoever. Singapore is a very safe place.

IBIS in Bugis is fine. I was across the road from it in September (at the summer view).

Its right near the big market (closes about 8pm every night) and the other shops.

It is not in Little India. We never got up there even though it is just up the road.

And as others have said all of Singapore is pretty safe.

Little India

Hiya

Little India is where many short term labour from the subcontinent (most of them Bangladeshis) congregate especially during weekends for a little dose of homesickness:) They work mainly in construction jobs the naughty Singaporeans would not do:eek:

If you are coming from a mainly mono-culture, the assault on the senses can be acute especially coupled with the heat and the different smells..

I grew up in Singapore with all its multi-cultural races (we have four mainly races CHinese, Malay, Indians , Others (eg Eurasians etc)...My childhood friends are all "rojak" (i will leave you to guess what this means:p)...i myself speak a few different languages and dialects...

it was only when i migrated to Australia that i realise that the rest of the world is not like that:p

My 2 best friends live in Little India...one of the best South Indian restaurants is there "Komala Villu" - ah! brings back fond memories:p

Bah! don't worry ....everywhere is safe in Singapore; as a young girl i used to come home at midnight alone, walking on the streets...plus the shops are open till very late and people stay up later as it is cooler....

this area looks third world & does not feel safe - I don't want to have to warn them that someone may be after their organs!

We were advised that Little India was well worth the visit, so went. We started at a huge market (the name escapes) then walked over to Little India.

I have never experienced a third world country or feared for my organs, until this walk. I'm not one to exagerate, but I was unbelievably freaking out and just wanted to run. The other half wasn't as bad as myself, surprisingly considering my line of work and what I deal with on a daily basis.

There were hundreds of people sitting on footpaths and on curbs that looked like homeless crooks. We were stared at and stuck out like sore thumbs. It was a very intimidating place to say the least.

Overall, I felt extremely safe in Singapore and loved the fact the punishments well and truly fit the crimes. Singapore is a place that I would definately like to visit again, however, Little India is one place I would not go near.

We were advised that Little India was well worth the visit, so went. We started at a huge market (the name escapes) then walked over to Little India.

I have never experienced a third world country or feared for my organs, until this walk. I'm not one to exagerate, but I was unbelievably freaking out and just wanted to run. The other half wasn't as bad as myself, surprisingly considering my line of work and what I deal with on a daily basis.

There were hundreds of people sitting on footpaths and on curbs that looked like homeless crooks. We were stared at and stuck out like sore thumbs. It was a very intimidating place to say the least.

Overall, I felt extremely safe in Singapore and loved the fact the punishments well and truly fit the crimes. Singapore is a place that I would definately like to visit again, however, Little India is one place I would not go near.

you need to get out more if you feared for your organs or felt like it was a third world country. seriously

You better not go to the real India then, makes little India seem like double bay.
Must have been a Sunday.. the one day a week the immigrant workers get off and go and hang out.

Little India......in Singapore.........scary...........you need to get out more.....

I've found it to be a pretty friendly place, busy on sundays which is the day off, but I've never had any hassle there. In fact, I even stuck my big white WASPISH head into the Sri Masaman Temple, during Diwali (spelling) and felt privileged to watch the goings on during the festival, never felt unwelcome or unwanted.

I'd also add, that I have had my fare share of being stared at overseas. I lived in China for nearly 5 years.........usually there is no malice behind it........people are just naturally curious, try saying hello, or a smile / nod......you'll be surprised what reaction you get........usually pretty pleasant

As stated, there would have been a lot of foreign workers (Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan) hanging out. Nothing to worry about. Isn't that the reason we travel - because it's different?? :rolleyes:

cheers

I love little India :) Lots of good food, especially vegetarian restaurants with cheap prices and good service. The crowds can be intimidating...sometimes you feel like you're being pushed around by people bumping into you but the people are harmless. Some may find Indian guys holding hands with other guys but they are not gay. I also like the "local" side of Chinatown, and the locals foodcourt behind OG and pearl center, yummy food for a fraction of the price compared to Pagoda/Temple streets across the road. Bugis is also a great multicultural hub with lots of shopping and culture.
The only drawback of getting around in Singapore is the MRT crush. You literally get shoved into the trains by the crowd, not so fun at all. The advantage is that public transport gets you everywhere cheaply!

Back