Single broken floor tile replacement

Our property in Melbourne has a broken (badly cracked and badly repaired) floor tile in a bathroom. Looks very ugly

Just wondering if it is possible to repair this without replacing the whole floor?

I guess its possible to carefully cut out and remove the damaged tile without damaging the others around it, but then the challenge would be sourcing a replacement, as the tiles are 20+ years old.

Are there places that stock old discontinued lines or can do a matching service?

Alternatively is it possible to remove another tile intact from somewhere else, e.g. seems like the same tiles are used on the walls, if one of those could be removed intact to use to replace the damaged one, then we could replace it it with a plain tile and cover with a mirror/ picture.

...or am i just dreaming and I need to replace the whole floor of tiles??

Its not difficult to replace a broken tile depending on your skill level and tools available.

I would start by carefully removing the grout around the tile, either with a hand held diamond tool (you can get from most hardware stores), a grinder or multi tool with the right bit. Then if you can get something under the tile, try levering a broken section up (put some protection down to cover the surrounding tiles, carboard, blanket etc, the last thing you want to do is chip or damage another tile!). I have an old 3/4" mortising chisel I like to use. Once you get one piece up its normally not to difficult to get the other pieces up. Scrape as much tile adhesive off the floor as you can.
Depending on what your subfloor is made of it may have a waterproof membrane under it, though I'm not sure if they were installed 20 years ago.
If its a concrete floor it probably wont have a membrane unless its near a drain or other penetration. Wood floors are generally completely waterproofed.

Regarding getting a replacement tile, you could try taking one from somewhere else, your sucess depends on how well the tile is stuck down, you may also end up pulling some of your wallboard off with the tile. I have never successfully removed a tile in one piece.
Try taking a sample and the dimensions to a large tile warehouse, they may well be able to match it, it also depends on how much you are willing to compromise on the final colour and texture.
Good luck

Andy

The hardest thing will be sourcing a matching tile unless you can find a spare in the garage or attic.

Do you know if it's a man-made tile (ceramic) or natural stone (marble, granite, etc), for example?

If you take up a photo and upload it here people might be able to steer you in the right direction to find a replacement.

Good luck!

The hardest thing will be sourcing a matching tile unless you can find a spare in the garage or attic.

Either that, or replace a few of them (including the broken one) with a tile of another colour with the same dimensions - say 5 or more scattered around - so it looks like it is supposed to be that way.

Either that, or replace a few of them (including the broken one) with a tile of another colour with the same dimensions - say 5 or more scattered around - so it looks like it is supposed to be that way.

Doing this with funky mosaics instead of full tiles can also look really nice, too.

Yep. It's not hard to remove a damaged tile. I've used a drill with a masonry bit to break up a damaged tile and make it easier to extract - taking care not to damage the membrane underneath.

Just make sure to source the replacement tile BEFORE you remove the damaged one.

Are there places that stock old discontinued lines or can do a matching service?QUOTE]

In Perth we have The Tile Library which stocks old and discontinued tiles. There's bound to be something similar in your state. :eek: Be warned, they charge like wounded bulls - but if you want a perfect repair job it's worth it.

cheers

Back