Smoke Alarms - what's involved in servicing?

Rather than pay the $99 fee every new tenancy (or 12 months) on our investment properties, we'd rather service the smoke alarms ourselves. They are hard-wired (but also have batteries - I guess for backup).

Can anyone advise on exactly what is required for the service i.e. "cleaning, testing and changing batteries"? Buying replacement batteries is easy enough but what's involved in cleaning and testing?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Shirley

Hi There

I received a notice only the other day from QLD government, every rental effective 1 July 2007 must have a smoke alarm installed.

They must be tested/cleaned in accordance with manufacturer's instructions within 30 days of the start or renewal of tenancy

It doesnt say you have to replace the battery at the start of a tenancy, it says you must replace them if they are almost flat or you are aware they are flat.

It makes no mention that the battery must be changed by a tradesperson, I am sure you can do this yourself.

To save the trouble I am installing Long-life 9 volt lithium batteries, they can last the life of the alarm system which is up to 10 years. Slightly more expensive.

10-year lithium battery: Some models come with a pre-installed 10-year lithium battery. This eliminates the need to replace the battery every year, since the lithium one will last for the life of the smoke alarm

Smoke alarms: Buying guide

Installing and Positioning Smoke Alarms

New smoke alarm laws

Maintenance tips

Don’t paint smoke alarms — the paint could block the air inlets.

Test each alarm once a month by pressing its test button (or shining a torch on it, if the model has that feature).

Clean and vacuum alarms every six months. This prevents dust build-up, which can block the air inlets or cause nuisance alarms.

Change the battery once a year (except for alarms with 10-year lithium batteries). Even if your alarms are mains-powered, they still have a battery for back-up, so they still need to be changed. Do this on a fixed day each year, such as the end of daylight saving, so it’s easier to remember.

Replace your smoke alarms every 10 years. Most alarms indicate their expiry date on their base.

I am fairly sure that on the RTA fact sheet it states that batteries must be replaced within 30 days prior to the start of a new lease, and I think it includes renewing a lease.

I remember thinking it was a bit vague, but if your IPs are in Queensland I would recommend reading the fact sheet.

Easy Reference Table for Lessors - Find out your responsibilities for smoke alarms|

Lessor's obligations for smoke alarms Start of the tenancy During the tenancy
Installing alarms *(Penalty applies) Smoke alarms complying with Australian Standards must be fitted in all rental properties by 1 July 2007 and in accordance with the Building Code of Australia unless location is unsuitable.

Lessors must give tenants 24 hours notice for entry to install smoke alarms.
Testing alarms (Penalties apply)* Within 30 days before the start or renewal of the tenancy and according to the manufacturers instructions.

Replacing batteries in alarms (Penalties apply)* Within 30 days before the start or renewal of the tenancy if batteries are flat or nearly flat.

Cleaning alarms (Penalties apply)* Within 30 days before the start or renewal of the tenancy and as specified by the manufacturer's instructions.

Replacing batteries in alarms (Penalties apply)* Within 30 days before the start or renewal of the tenancy if batteries are flat or nearly flat.

As stated "if batteries are flat or nearly flat....now if they use long life batteries I doubt this will be an issue,

Shirley,

The hardest part is usually figuring out how to open them.......:)

When installing new batteries in smoke alarms always write the date on them in texta or similar........saves the arguments later.

ciao

Nor

when the battery get low on my smoke alarms they beep once every few minets so you can tell when the battery is getting low
my PM wanted to charge me $65 a year to check the one in my IP's
I told her ill do it for free and not to worry about it ill take care if it thanks :D

smoke alarms

hi guys

I don't know about you guys but wouldn't it be better to have some one go into your rentals once a year to clean the smoke and test alarms instead of trusting the tenent to do it.

Cheers

Darryl

Not, DLB, when they charge $99 by the number of properties one has per year or per new tenancy. I can't see how they justify charging that for 5-10 minutes work.

And no, it's not the tenant who does the maintenance...it's the landlord's responsibility.

Shirley

Shirley, I am fairly sure that once checked prior to the beginning of the tenancy, the cleaning and replacing of batteries is the tenant's responsibility.

RTA information sheet spells it out.

Shirley, I am fairly sure that once checked prior to the beginning of the tenancy, the cleaning and replacing of batteries is the tenant's responsibility.

RTA information sheet spells it out.

In practice it means though that if your leases are 12 months or less it's the landlords responsibility to clean and replace batteries. And it has to be done a certain timeframe (30 days) before renewal of lease. That's the annoying bit - we have a block of 3 units about 1 1/2h away from us. I'd go and spend the morning there once a year to do all the alarms and get it done with. But their leases are all slightly different (and 12 months or less) so I will have to go up there 3 times at the right time, even for a renewal...

Anyone tried to get an exemption for a case like this (ie. if there is no change of tenants this can be done anytime in a 12 months period)?

kaf

Hi Shirley,

I understand where your coming from but what if it wasn't the real estate your paying but a contractor who only charges $30 to $50 + gst per year for first inspection and the $10 to $30 + gst for lease renewals.

Cheers

Darryl

Darryl - it is the contractor that charges $99 for every maintenance visit, not our RE Manager. $99 by 9 properties is too expensive for the short amount of time involved. All our properties are within easy distance and we're happy to do this ourselves and save the money.
Cheers
Shirley

Hi, Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this the tenant's responsibility for maintaining the smoke alarms? Is this Victoria state's law are you talking about here?

In SA, the tenancies have clarified that it is the landlords responsibility to replace the battery. Seems a bit silly really. I can just hear the phone call. 'Hi my smoke detector battery is flat, can you change it for me'

OCBA said:
Under Section 68 of the Act, a landlord has
an obligation to ensure that a rented property
is in a reasonable state of repair having
regard to its age, character and prospective
life. Therefore, if a smoke detector battery is
flat and the tenant is aware of this, the tenant
is obligated to inform the landlord and the
landlord is then obligated to replace the
battery. We recommend that smoke detectors
be tested by the landlord/agent at each
routine inspection.

I think $99 per annum is fine for a SANF. If the worst happened (God forbid) and there was a fire, the first thing you are going to be asked is were the smoke alarms serviced on time and to the manufacturers specification. If you do it yourself how do you prove that is was to the manufacturers instructions. Have you got the manuals, do you keep a note of when you were there and exactly what you did. If you use a contractor they will have: 1. Standard operating procedures and 2. Insurance. I think this is a really important issue as smoke alarms can save lives. , however if the tenants take the batteries out, I have my **** well and truly covered.
Just my thoughts

Under Section 68 of the Act, a landlord has
an obligation to ensure that a rented property
is in a reasonable state of repair having
regard to its age, character and prospective
life.

From the limited details given in the article, it seems like their interpretation of the above is that landlords must change batteries as part of their obligations to maintain the property in a reasonable state of repair. By this logic we also have to change the tenant's light bulbs. Just because the battery is flat does not mean the smoke alarm is not in good repair.

Back