So, Have You Donated Yet?

The news said the amount of water there is equivalent to Sydney Harbour! Still having trouble getting my head around this despite seeing all the news footage.

I think I'll be with RedCat & donate to the wildlife/animal funds.

This is so awful, I feel sick for all those people & poor animals & really still cannot believe this is happenning.

The dam official said they are releasing the equivalent of two Sydney Harbours from the dams every DAY. But if they don't do that, it would be a lot worse. Dam can hold 200% capacity. It was explained that 100% capacity is potable water, with the other 100% being flood holdings. They have to release water to stop a major catastrophe, as if what is happening is not bad enough.

After living through a disaster I know that Red Cross and the Salvos are on site long before everyone else. I donate to their general funds and not the appeal funds because I trust them to spend the money where it is really needed. Brisbane is in all the news today but this flood has been around for weeks now and before that they would have been around for the drought.

You'll have to excuse me as I don't follow the news so am completely oblivious as to what's happening up there - could someone answer me, why is the Govt. not assisting with temporary funds until insurance policies kick in? Why is there a need for public donations?

Reported by Prime Minister that this is happening already, but not sure how it is being administered.

Sorry mate. I listen to the greenies not wanting to backburn (and then you have massive fires), or not want to build dams. Dams would maybe not have fully stopped the floods, but help minimise some of the damage caused in a lot of the towns (with controlled release, rather than gushing water).

Blame the greenies not me. Where is Tim Flannery now, with his "Australia will get very little water in the future". We get called "deniers" for years saying it's just all a cycle.

We had 8yrs of drought to prepare for the next floods. It's not like it was never going to happen.

Maybe eventually, we'll have some forward planning.

no, im sorry,

now is not the time for the blame game, sure, take action to prevent these things from happening but in this moment, right now, people are homeless with nothing, worse, people have lost their lives, fathers, mothers, children.

you tell this person that its the greenies fault and they can get st^ffed and look after themselves becuase we all pay taxes:

"The water was climbing up his driveway at 7.25am.

The daughter of his next door neighbour was crying as she walked up the street.

Her father was trying to save his timber cottage with the water already covering the house's stumps and threatening to flood his home."

Each to their own on the donation issue. No need to throttle someone over their opinion.

Some of us are more emotionally impacted by the images on tv than others. Nothing wrong or right about it, it's just the way we are as people - all different.

now is not the time for the blame game, sure, take action to prevent these things from happening but in this moment, right now, people are homeless with nothing, worse, people have lost their lives, fathers, mothers, children.

People died every day from tragedy. There are 100000 homeless people in your streets every day. Do you care most days?? No you don't.

But 1 day in 365 it's good you feel warm and fuzzy that your doing something.

They are flood plains. There have flooded before, and will flood again in the future.

How do these people different from the 100000 others every day?

I have to say unashamedly that NO, I have not donated. This is what I pay taxes for. How is it that the government can constantly give 10's of millions to other countries for disasters,and ($500m to Indonesia for schools, etc),

We gave a total of $1.8b to Indonesia after the Tsunami.
The Australian government's $1 billion aid package to Indonesia
"The $1 billion is in addition to existing Australian aid to Indonesia, taking the total contribution to $1.8 billion."

Have we even reached $30mil for our own people from the government?? It's about time the governments showed some charity at home.

I'm sorry, but this is what I pay my taxes for, and this is what my Australian taxes should be used for. Giving donations is like getting taxed again.
Maybe if the government didn't waste so much money, they would have a lot more when needed in situations like this. We give $40K free cash (in FHOG and stamp duty exceptions) to bludging FHO (or $6K baby bonus to people choosing to have kids), yet can barely give $1000 to people (or $15K to business) who have lost everything.

But if you people feel that the government should not shoulder the responsibility, then by all means, give more money.

Great attitude. Pathetic :mad:

People died every day from tragedy. There are 100000 homeless people in your streets every day. Do you care most days?? No you don't.

But 1 day in 365 it's good you feel warm and fuzzy that your doing something.

They are flood plains. There have flooded before, and will flood again in the future.

How do these people different from the 100000 others every day?

actually you dont know me or wether its 1/365 or more. i do know that i am doing something, yes i feel better for doing it, ill freely admit that..

as for the 1000's of others each day, im sure we could all be doing more, we do seem to focus on our own patch of dirt, maybe its becuase we feel more vulnerable when it is someone 'like us'.

either way, im not going to do nothing becuase its bad everywhere, its someoens elses fault or the government should do it. as the previous poster said, each to their own.

I belive in 'What goes around, comes around', so yes I donated last night after watching the effects it has had on others.

Great attitude. Pathetic :mad:

Cheers :)

Sorry, I just don't have sympaphy for the same residents of the sareas that are more interested in protecting flora and founa, rather than human life, by protesting against dams. Suffer now with the short sightedness.

Byrrill Creek dam outcry rises

Call me heartless if you like. But sorry, if a lot of areas protest against dams and then get flooded, well at least some rare Green Tree frog is protected ;)

Sorry, I just don't have sympaphy for the same residents of the sareas that are more interested in protecting flora and founa, rather than human life, by protesting against dams. Suffer now with the short sightedness.

Call me heartless if you like. But sorry, if a lot of areas protest against dams and then get flooded, well at least some rare Green Tree frog is protected ;)

how do you know that every resident there felt like that? do the children deserve to suffer as well?

I have to say unashamedly that NO, I have not donated. This is what I pay taxes for. How is it that the government can constantly give 10's of millions to other countries for disasters,and ($500m to Indonesia for schools, etc),

We gave a total of $1.8b to Indonesia after the Tsunami.
The Australian government's $1 billion aid package to Indonesia
"The $1 billion is in addition to existing Australian aid to Indonesia, taking the total contribution to $1.8 billion."

Have we even reached $30mil for our own people from the government?? It's about time the governments showed some charity at home.

I'm sorry, but this is what I pay my taxes for, and this is what my Australian taxes should be used for. Giving donations is like getting taxed again.
Maybe if the government didn't waste so much money, they would have a lot more when needed in situations like this. We give $40K free cash (in FHOG and stamp duty exceptions) to bludging FHO (or $6K baby bonus to people choosing to have kids), yet can barely give $1000 to people (or $15K to business) who have lost everything.

But if you people feel that the government should not shoulder the responsibility, then by all means, give more money.
All valid points Bluestone but the donation of money by Australian people not affected does a lot more than provide financial relief for both the people affected by the disaster and the government. It actually sends a message to those affected that the rest of the nation is aware of what they are going through and feels for them in their hour of need. The psychological affect of knowing that the rest of the country outside of the govt has put their hands in their pockets to offer what they can does enormous amounts of good. You may not be able to put a dollar value on that. Imagine if everyone agreed with you and no-one donated with the reason being "we all pay our taxes". This sends a clear message to those who have lost everything that as a nation we believe we have already paid for their relief and from us they get no more. A bit demoralising I think! Maybe I'm just soft.

You say it like its fact.

How do you know - or can prove - that the floods were caused, or even made worse, by the lack of dam(s)?

Last edited:
Anyway, to the original post. Donate to the flood appeals if you like.

I'm doing my part by having my taxes used for the assistance.
Cheers.

And in future, maybe people will look at what all the Lefties and action groups actually stand for, and understand that it's not in your interest or that of the country.

In 7yrs time you people will be raising money for the drought victims again!!. And then in 15yrs another flood appeal.

donating shoud be a private thing, not something to put your hand up in a forum & say "I'm a donator"

whilst i see your point, a similar post i seen online reminded me to donate at that moment, as i had been wanting to but was not near a pc until then.

if its in the context of, 'you can donate here, please do so if you can and are so inclined' then its good but id agree that it should not be a boasting thing.

Anyway, you forgot to reply to my post. :D

Anyway, to the original post. Donate to the flood appeals if you like.

I'm doing my part by having my taxes used for the assistance.
Cheers.

And in future, maybe people will look at what all the Lefties and action groups actually stand for, and understand that it's not in your interest or that of the country.

In 7yrs time you people will be raising money for the drought victims again!!. And then in 15yrs another flood appeal.

heartless ?

It’s all about me me me me – my taxes, my money, my wages…..

get over your bloody self !

are you winston wolfe in disguise ?:D

Back