So, Have You Donated Yet?

The Evac centres have no room for stuff which is why it is being turned away. They have said drop clothes etc off at Vinnies etc so they can sort them and check they are clean

That dont make sense to me.
Maybe someone in Qld can enlighten us on who are the organisations working on the frontlines right now that should be assisted.

The report I heard said that clothes cannot get through to the devastated areas. Also, people should be allowed their dignity.

Also, money given to charities to be given to people means they can spend it in their own communities to help them to start trading again.

(Mind you, I'm not sure there is anything much to buy in those smaller communities that is not ruined by mud and water.)

I'm amazed and heartened to hear everybody ready to pitch in and get their communities started again.

The floods in queensland are so sad to see but this goes to show how Australia is completely oblivious to what is going on around the rest of the world. There are currently floods in Brasil where 250 people have died!!!!!! Why the hell is this not being reported as well?!?! Australia just seems to only care what happens in its own little bubble.

And before you judge my comment, i have personally spent most of the day (and for the next few days) volunteering at Melbourne's Red Cross centre taking telephone calls from flood victims, so i do care what is happening.

So my advice to Australians, open you're pockets to this tragic queensland disaster, but open you're eyes to the rest of the world too!!!!!

I saw a guy the news this afternoon walking through his house with a reporter. Waist high water inside the whole house house, they're walking through it room by room and the owner says how happy he is. oh yeah he says. I didn't know what to expect... then I missed what he said exactly, but he was glad it wasn;t worse.

gees we're lucky... we make our own luck, we make our own luck. sometimes we've got nothing to do with it

I noticed some TV channels flog the ads while reporting the disaster but you don't see them offering ways for people to help that much besides putting up the donation website address ocassionally. I was looking to see how one would go to join SES but I see the website is down. They could be putting up ways for volunteers to help and how to get started etc but none of that is offered on TV, only just all the drama but no way to offer help.

Patience and safety first

I was looking to see how one would go to join SES but I see the website is down. They could be putting up ways for volunteers to help and how to get started etc but none of that is offered on TV, only just all the drama but no way to offer help.

Channel 9 & Sky TV have been & are promoting the websites on TV for volunteers and helpers to go and look at.

This morning Channel 9 has been telling people who want to help where to go to eg. Rosalie Shoping Village etc.

EDIT - Emergency Services want all volunteers registered with Queensland Volunteers before helping so you know what job you will be doing.

Everything in good time.

Hubby rang and left a message with his friend whose Canefarm and house went under in NSW that he would come and help, but the flood water will still be a few days to a week going down.

Regards
Sheryn ;)

Last edited:
Also, why do buisness advertise publicly the fact that they donated to emergency like this, including the $ amount ?

Isn't it obvious? Good public relations and marketing. Coles isn't going to donate $1M and not tell all and sundry about it. :rolleyes:

You're also welcome to come into any of their stores and donate at their collection containters...... *ahem* and maybe buy something while you're there...

Isn't it obvious? Good public relations and marketing. Coles isn't going to donate $1M and not tell all and sundry about it. :rolleyes:

You're also welcome to come into any of their stores and donate at their collection containters...... *ahem* and maybe buy something while you're there...
The collection containers can be found next to the milk! :rolleyes:

To be fair, they;'ve been promoting it (as far as I'vm awar) jsut to use staff, but thw eroding makes me sceptical

Perhaps I am looking too far into it

"We also have an opportunity to provide financial support via Payroll to the Queensland Premier's Flood Relief Appeal, set up to assist people and communities affected by the devastating floods. XXXXXXXXXX will match employee donations dollar for dollar up to the value of $500,000, bringing our total combined contribution to a potential $1 million."

"Our total contributiion" :confused::rolleyes:

To be fair, they;'ve been promoting it (as far as I'vm awar) jsut to use staff, but thw eroding makes me sceptical

Perhaps I am looking too far into it

"We also have an opportunity to provide financial support via Payroll to the Queensland Premier's Flood Relief Appeal, set up to assist people and communities affected by the devastating floods. XXXXXXXXXX will match employee donations dollar for dollar up to the value of $500,000, bringing our total combined contribution to a potential $1 million."

"Our total contributiion" :confused::rolleyes:

To clarify, I have neither been reading the news, nor entered a Coles supermarket. I was just giving an example of the business marketing that accompanies these sorts of disasters - judging by your post I must have hit the nail fairly much on the head?

I'm going into CBA this afternoon, my guess is there will be signs and a collection point there as well....

To clarify steve, I don't know anything.... just saying when I read what my employer wrote, how it soudned to me, that they are tyring to keep dontations as lwow as they can, to quite a low figure actually but pumping it up as if it's something bigger and better

as I said, it;'s only been promtoed to staff, jstu left that taste in my mouth.

Bit sad isn't it? But then I guess they don't have to give anything, so anything is better then nothing.

I think if they gave nothing, people would hate them for it. It's like how Mark Zuckerberg gave $100m to some schools. If the rich like him didn't donate to charity, they'd probably be hunted down by angry mobs with pitchforks.

I know, it's all voluntary, I just felt like while they are doing what they feel they should do (or have to as ianvestor said), they patronise me and the rest of their staff like we're so dumb by telling us "look how good a company we are, you be pprodu of us" - give me a break, you wannta impress me, give a decent amount of money, not pressure your staff into donating $x amount or you won't either.

Bit sad isn't it? But then I guess they don't have to give anything, so anything is better then nothing.

Frankly, this whole thread itself was started so people could boast about how much they donated, and therefore how much more caring they must be than others. So how is this any different to some sports start on TV saying how much he donated.
In the end, you all feel that if you don't let anybody know (even friends or family), then it's like the donation never happened. Others must be told!

I think if they gave nothing, people would hate them for it. It's like how Mark Zuckerberg gave $100m to some schools. If the rich like him didn't donate to charity, they'd probably be hunted down by angry mobs with pitchforks.

Haha so much for democracy and free-will.

That's exactly what I thought when Lance Armstrong got on TV and said he personally donated $50,000.

Frankly, this whole thread itself was started so people could boast about how much they donated, and therefore how much more caring they must be than others. So how is this any different to some sports start on TV saying how much he donated.
In the end, you all feel that if you don't let anybody know (even friends or family), then it's like the donation never happened. Others must be told!

There was a famous person, about 2000 years ago, who suggested that "the left hand should not know what the right hand does" and not to "do alms before others."

Of course, these people "advertising" their donations are not donating to satisfy their own charitable desires, but as a "marketing" event.

If they don't donate money, people have a go at them. If they donate money, people label them as opportunistic. Unfortunately not everyone's a matyr like some here.

If they don't donate money, people have a go at them. If they donate money, people label them as opportunistic. Unfortunately not everyone's a matyr like some here.

Good point. If Gerry Harvey for example stays silent about a donation, then people say, "well you have all this money, why did you not donate". So then when they let people know they are donating, then all of a sudden people think it must be a marketing ploy.

It's almost a lose-lose situation. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Back