so i got a bill for a blocked drain...who pays?

[snip]I got in trouble from the first PM for attempting to fix the problem rather than just calling a plumber.
[snip]
Basically, the issue is a lot of PMs tell tenants not to do anything.
[snip]
It's a fundamental issue with the system imo. PMs are incredibly risk adverse which is a very Australian position. In much of Europe where long term renting is much more common there isn't the same issue.

Perhaps some PMs take the easy way out too. But are they trained, paid and supported by their principals to do any better?

In another thread I questioned why there are no detailed risk assessments and suggested proper service level agreements.

However no discussion of risk could escape the murky complexity that has been built into it by the continual re-jigging by regulators and some of the quasi-legalistic, counter-intuitive (counter commonsense in fact) interpretations by tribunals.

It has become so complex and random that it never comes as a surprise when owners who appear to have been on this forum for decades and have owned many properties, shrug their shoulders saying "Who could have predicted that tribunal decision" and "Dear Owner, just cop it and move on (if you can afford to)".

In a environment where the value of residential property has been shaky to say the least, it is easily possible in my view that the mums and dads investors who prop up rental housing could flee the scene in droves. A run could become a stampede. Others can comment on what would happen next, but it would not be cheaper rents and more available housing.

In a environment where the value of residential property has been shaky to say the least, it is easily possible in my view that the mums and dads investors who prop up rental housing could flee the scene in droves. A run could become a stampede. Others can comment on what would happen next, but it would not be cheaper rents and more available housing.

what you are suggesting is that irrational participants in the market become informed and start to react rationally. Yes you could conclude that if or when the owners begin to act rationally and reward is commensurate with risk then yields will kick up siginificantly

what you are suggesting is that irrational participants in the market become informed and start to react rationally. Yes you could conclude that if or when the owners begin to act rationally and reward is commensurate with risk then yields will kick up siginificantly

Yep.

And you also have a situation where most tenants don't stay for long and just move to the next property. Hence, no ownership into the property.

Quite a few people in my situation rent because we move around a bit for work so no point purchasing a property to live in (and most also invest), but we are still house proud and basically want to show off where we live, even if we don't own it. This situation is thwarted by PMs who basically stop you from doing minor maintenance things yourself.

Ah sorry, this appears to be the tenancy act here for NSW.

.....if you haven't noticed yet simtr, the person asking all of these dribbly questions isn't interested in doing any work themselves, and isn't interested in the answer....he's simply out to make you look like a fool.

If I'm not mistaken, they are a property manager themselves, and he is simply stringing you along....he won't lift a finger and will simply keep asking inane questions, to try and make you look like a bigger fool. Resistance the urge to help him, simply ignore him.

I agree with you though, he can knock himself out whenever he likes.

Last edited:
Real Name Peter Weiss
Location Coorparoo, Brisbane
Interests have a passion for property
Occupation Licencee, L J Hooker Coorparoo
Biography Joined the Real Estate Indusrty in 1975

edit: stupid statements removed, ya couldnt survive like that

pet hate, LEARN THE Farnarklin RULES

edit: stupid statements removed

Last edited:
nice spotting dazz and AlmostBob

i guess one way to know if your REA knows the rules is ask them a few questions or a quote from the RTA
it could also be a good bargainer to lower there rates if they cant answer some of them (as surely every REA in the area wouldnt know all of them)

surely every REA in the area wouldnt know all of them

Hi BMan,

Let's start off by saying that the RTA legislation is extremely easy to learn. It ain't a thick document, and all of the big grown up words have been removed.

Don't make the assumption that because most people don't bother to read the rules, that the rulebook is somehow complex or lengthy. Neither are true.

In WA here, to gain your PM ticket, it takes all of a 5 day course.....not exactly rocket science. You do have to sit an exam at the end of it, and achieve a grade of ~ 70%.

Little 18 yr old wet behind the ears "just out of school" secretaries who couldn't get a job elsewhere and couldn't into Uni were sitting the course and passing with flying colours.....so it ain't tough.

Ol' Pete with 37 years of experience could of read about 3 pages per year and still been fully boned up on the material.

He's taking the p.1.2.2 out of ya.

Guys, as you can easily see, I have openly identified myself in my profile. I am not trying to take the ---- out of any one. I am concerned when people make a pretty bold statements. The governing legislation is different in each state, and I do not profess to know any other than the QLD Act, so I refrain from making "broad brush" statements. Dazz, you made the claim that it was against the law. Well I am reasonably certain, that statement is not correct here in QLD, so I did not think it unreasonable to ask for evidence to support that statement. If me asking someone to provide evidence to support their statements, can somehow be read "what I do and don’t know', is a bit left field, but thats just my opinion.

Another poster already listed this link, which covers the position in QLD.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Maintenance-and-repairs/Drains-and-gutters

Our tenants are told, when they telephone in the "blocked drain" problem, that they need to have done what they can first to clear the blockage, as if the plumber identifies foreign matter, he will be looking to them for payment. We refer them to this fact sheet. Now we have never been taken to the bleeding hearts in QCAT over this matter, so cannot say what the outcome will be, however so far our landlords are in front. In other States, you may have to search their websites for assistance.

For landlords in QLD, here is information on changing lights. Again not sure what apply’s in other States.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Maintenance-and-repairs/Light-bulbs

I hope that helps

my apologies, I allowed my pet hate to blind me to what is obvious
There have been so many posts to which the learn the rules answer has applied
should have realised that taking the p_ss was a more likely thing

Hi all,

Just an update - the tenants will be paying for this as I got the PM to get the plumber to reword the invoice suggesting the damage was caused as a result of a lack of general care for the plumbing (pouring grease down the sink).

We decided amongst ourselves and the tenant reluctantly agreed it is very likely the damage was caused by them (thanks to the advice of the plumber)

Back