So I purchased this property in Brisbane ..

Someone at my work said you can put a fence up BUT it would be right against your house basically, as council doesn't usually let you put a fence up that utilizes your space on a corner block?

Someone at my work said you can put a fence up BUT it would be right against your house basically, as council doesn't usually let you put a fence up that utilizes your space on a corner block?

You couldn't not fence in what is council land, but your own block should be able to be fenced :confused:.

I wouldn't be listening to "someone" at your work. That sounds wrong. Why not call the council?

umm, i'm going to call the council lol

i just mentioned this is what i've heard .. i've also read on several sites that their are quite a few legalities with fencing corner blocks.

I appreciate your advice tho

Never listen to 'someone' at work. If in doubt call Council, but to be honest, I've never heard of anywhere where you can't fence a corner block.

The fence will have to meet certain road safety requirements at the corner so that drivers can see vehicles approaching on the other road. That's OK, the footpath, ie council land, meets that requirement - note the curved bit on the actual corner. Your house would be 6 metres back from the boundary so we have no idea what "someone" was talking about suggesting the fence would be right up against your house. Congratulations on your purchase.

thanks everyone has anyone put a fence around the house before - have you found it necessary ? I wouldn't guess it added any extra 'value' to the house from an investment point of view but the added privacy is appealing tho

Fences are highly sort after in family-friendly suburbs.

Many parents these days are terrified of their darlings running onto the roads or being abducted by people walking by. Our houses are all fenced at the sides and back and the front is left open for a sense of space. It keeps kids and dogs in the back. If you ensure the back is fenced, it will save you the cost and bother of the corner. However some people may start walking across your front yard to cut the corner.

Have a look on Street View of what is typical in this suburb.

This is one of my houses, on a corner block: It is fenced from the side of garage and the front bedroom.

Attachments

• tsva7mhkayknexkya6rvuhwj6[2].jpg
    tsva7mhkayknexkya6rvuhwj6[2].jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 141
I can see why people want fences, we'd definetly want one also consider we have children & it just feels safer in general

That house you posted is nice .. Seems pretty private also consider no fence in the front

This is the side we'd like to fence - I'm guessing where the hedges are, is where I'd be able to fence from ?image.jpg

Yes, along the hedge line. For cost savings, you would only go as far as the front of the house and leave the rest of the front.

Or complete the hedge! Very cheap.

Generally on corner blocks you can fence up to the line of primary face of building with a solid fence eg colourbond/timber, and anything forward of the line of building has to be see through (eg tubular fence) to a max of 1200 high. Some councils vary from this of course.

Back