So much for global warming

If Australia cut off Co2, will it make any difference to the earth? NO. Will it make difference to ordinary life, Absolutely and you have to fork $1000 a year for normal family. Why should we go ahead of the big poluters? I thought the worst should act first and we do accordingly.

Maybe we should be part of the solution instead of part of the problem if we would like other, much less wealthy, countries to do the same. The cost to do so is pretty small after all.

The cost to do so is pretty small after all.

This is the part i dont agree with.
The major polluters of our country are also the major employers and also the backbone of our economy. Make it more expensive to do business here, and the money will go somewhere else (ie. china).

Australia suffers terrible economic dundrums.
The effect on world CO2 levels is NILL.

.... yeah i dont like that solution.

Yeah i see your points HiE.
I just think that the ETS scheme doesnt give any clarity to the end consumer of energy as to how they can have a positive impact.....

spot on - it ain't a CRS (carbon reduction scheme), it's an ETS (emissions trading scheme).

it assigns a value to carbon. those who see value want to increase value from trading it. they can get more value easier by increasing it than assigning an intrinsic value to it.

And people would respond by using less of the stuff. I don't buy the "energy demand is inelastic" argument. When you get pressure on your cost base you take a look at it to see what can be done about it. The fact that electricity costs will rise from here (with or without an ETS) will see this happen in any case to some extent but the publicity of the ETS would certainly have helped attract the attention of the top of corporate Australia as we have seen already....

yeah i'm not saying folk wouldn't use less - i'm saying that the power bill won't change ;)

yeah i'm not saying folk wouldn't use less - i'm saying that the power bill won't change ;)

that's the issue i have.
If you are using LESS power, then you should be paying less on the power bill.
But if you are using to excess still, you should be charged extra for it.

Im talking about households here though.

but no power company will wear a loss of revenue because you're being "green".

they'll just bump up the unit price to match what you were paying - or more.

so it's clearly not about saving money.

that's the issue i have.
If you are using LESS power, then you should be paying less on the power bill.
But if you are using to excess still, you should be charged extra for it.

Im talking about households here though.
It doesn't really matter about our domestic power bills going up. It will be an annoyance and we will feel done over but we will survive.

What if your employer decides to quit and go o/s? Lets be sure of one thing: Many will!

Townsville's biggest private employer will close and while the company itself won't move to Indonesia, the refining process and the "emissions" will. The net gain to the environment will probably be -ve because the Townsville plant has spent a lot of money to pick up it's game in the last decade. Will the Indos spend the money to bring their old, moth balled plant up to date?

Another big part of Qld's economy is alumina mining and smelting into aluminium. Aluminium is "coagulated electricity". Without cheap electricity it will move offshore too. By definition, whoever takes up the slack will be operating a "cheaper" operation than ours. Tell me how this benefits the world at large?

it'll be more lucrative to on-sell your emissions from a country like australia to - i dunno, the phillippines - than to employ people.

a new wave of UE?

hmmm - actually, that makes sense now. why would they....ah rambling. you'll all hear me rant later about it anyway.

i cant disagree with you Sunfish... in fact i TOTALLY agree.

Which is why i suggested that my proposal is really only applicable to households. I dont think we should mess with industry and employers unless the rest of the world (incl. the "developing" world) is doing the same.

All in all... the ETS is a piece of poo, and i dont like it.

Hopefully by the time the senate sits again, the Climategate revelations will have had time to be fully digested by the scientific community (even if our media & politicians are currently turning a blind eye to the rammifications of it). In this case, the ETS will be irrelevant & hopefully we will see the end of all the BS propaganda we've had to endure from the climate doomsayers.

Which is why i suggested that my proposal is really only applicable to households. I dont think we should mess with industry and employers unless the rest of the world (incl. the "developing" world) is doing the same.

Totally agree.

How much poo does it take to make paper? (this is not a joke): One piece of poo or turd will give you 25 sheets of paper or 10 standard sized journals and this includes front and back covers

http://blog.greenenergytv.com/blog/children-and-recycling/0/0/paper-made-from-elephant-poop

The Analyst:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witzl

Totally agree.

Hopefully by the time the senate sits again, the Climategate revelations will have had time to be fully digested by the scientific community (even if our media & politicians are currently turning a blind eye to the rammifications of it). In this case, the ETS will be irrelevant & hopefully we will see the end of all the BS propaganda we've had to endure from the climate doomsayers.

Here's more BS propaganda for you. :D

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...ychology-of-climate-denial-20091202-k5r8.html

Cheers,

There are literally thousands of scientists who do not agree that climate change is man made, let alone caused by mans CO2 emissions, so this one article makes nil difference to my opinion, which is the result of extensive and continuing research into both sides of the debate. Research that goes somewhat further than trite SMH articles with no named author FFS.

There is honestly NO NEED for a family to have a gas guzzling 2.5 tonne land barge commodore or falcon... or even worse, a 3 tonne massive 4WD.

REALLY????? sounds like another sweeping generalisation to me.

try fitting my 4 kids and a wife that doesn't drive in a corolla.:eek:

and most massive four wheel drives are around 2.5 tonnes and use less fuel than many medium to large cars because they're on diesel.

the new land rover discovery is 2.5 tonne and a combined fuel consumption of 9.3L.

Originally Posted by Witzl
There is honestly NO NEED for a family to have a gas guzzling 2.5 tonne land barge commodore or falcon... or even worse, a 3 tonne massive 4WD.

Am I allowed to keep my 10 yr old land barge? I hope so. I rather like it.:)

actually thinking about it - I own a 10yr old land barge falcon wagon...fairly sure it doesn't weigh 2.5 tonnes - more like 1.5

yes I love my old land barge too!!

Back