Buyers back in shacks as flats fail to sell

I quote from your post: ''This includes things like (i) the 'tall poppy syndrome', (ii) an 'I don't wanna know' suspicion of learning and education, (iii) conformism, including worship of sport and disdain for those in 'gay' artistic, creative or intellectual pursuits, (iv) not wanting to be 'too smart' at work, in case you're seen to be too close to the boss, and (v) a she'll be right attitude and mediocrity in anywhere but sport''

-these are Australian traits I think, not Dutch, where there is enormous emphasis on education and study, the arts, and if you have a look at Dutch culture you will see it is very liberated in regards to gay people. And didn't we have their football coach over here? I'm not really up on sport though.
-the emphasis on wealth is it's good to be wealthy but you don't flaunt it, you don't show off, and you make sure you give enough away to help others.
- this is also reflected in their work culture, they work a much shorter work week than here but in return for that everyone does volunteer work, and volunteer work is a big part of your life. Every time I visit I get asked 'where do you volunteer' but of course I don't, I work 50-60 hours per week instead!
- also they are coming back on migration. Migration appears to be a largely failed experiment that is now threatening the Dutch way of life, there are certain migrants now protesting at nativity scenes etc. What they are looking at (quite radical) is new migrants cannot access any type of government benefit for the first 10 years after entering the country, and child benefits where the mother is not in paid employment will be reduced as they want the role model family where everyone participates in society to expand. They want children raised in families where everyone works (mind you there child care is better then ours). As you can see, VERY different from Australia. You might have seen the protests re Wilders, a Dutch Parliamentarian, who was not allowed into the UK to lecture the UK parliament about his ideas because the UK was too scared of certain migrant groups.

Last edited:
I think the same thing is happening here in Mandurah.
There is so many luxury units being built and in quite a confined space that the majority of those that holiday or weekend here would much prefer to roll up to a shack sit back and relax .
There is not a scarcity of land here along our huge coast.
Mandurah has the weather and the water for a very laid back life style.
Lots of holidayers turn up with a boat/tinny and there is no where for these to be parked in the area of these luxury units.
Who wants the kids the dogs tramping sand all through the MM+ apartment and most importantly there is no areas to cook and clean the crabs and fish. Which is what Mandurah is all about.
I know there is buyers for the top end stuff but as the market it now showing, not enough buyers.
But try to rent a shack or a caravan bay here and you have got buckleys.
Its going to take a number of years for the supply side of the equasion here to even up a bit.
But for those of you who are in the market for a luxury apartment you sure have plenty to pick from and the prices are dropping by the week.
cheers
yadreamin

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want to own a holiday home. Why tie yourself to a place that you visit (or forced to visit given you've shelled out for it) for only a few days/weeks a year?

I know when I'm done with 9 to 5, I'll WANT to be in the city. I'd much rather live in the inner suburbs and holiday o'seas as often as possible than base myself in some far flung coastal/bush retreat. But I appreciate everyone's different.

the luxury mandurah apartment is a mystery to me... luxury apartments are for inner city, low maint, close to work living - not in a holiday destination IMO. They certainly are cheap but am not sure who would actually buy them? Great if you happened to work in Mandurah tho. it would be a cheap pad.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want to own a holiday home. Why tie yourself to a place that you visit (or forced to visit given you've shelled out for it) for only a few days/weeks a year?

I know when I'm done with 9 to 5, I'll WANT to be in the city. I'd much rather live in the inner suburbs and holiday o'seas as often as possible than base myself in some far flung coastal/bush retreat. But I appreciate everyone's different.

we love our beach house, spend about every 3rd weekend there and some.

holiday o'seas is a drag, best left for once a year or so. and when you get back and have spent all that cash you realise how good it is at home

Bathing boxes around here seem to be more like luxury units rather than more practical beach shacks.

Recall seeing one advertised for $73k last year. One advertised this week is asking about $55k.

I'd imagine this would be the first thing people in trouble would offload.

Back