So whats happening in the large regionals??

If you put the deposit in the bank, 500k, after tax on interest you would only be getting about 15k per year or 250k after 15years. With inflation the buying power of your 750k would be half your original 500k. If you borrowed all the money and had nothing to put in the bank you would still have nothing in the bank after 15 years.
If you borrowed all the money, 2.5m and put it in a bank after 15 years the balance on the loan would be higher than the balance of the investment.

All I can do I is shake my head and move on :rolleyes:

Haven't had a chance to read through this thread but very interested.

In last 18 months I've purchased in both Bathurst and Wagga

You're right about the opportunity cost. I think my problem is that I spend too long analysing areas for the best investment and just need to go and buy something already! Analysis paralysis!

Haven't had a chance to read through this thread but very interested.

In last 18 months I've purchased in both Bathurst and Wagga
and how have they gone/done?

i guess its hard without a valuation, the best you could do is compare recent sales

and how have they gone/done?

i guess its hard without a valuation, the best you could do is compare recent sales

CBA AVM val has Bathurst property increase by $6k, looking at comparables which is more accurate I see this to be about right. Property was purchased Nov 2012 hasn't been vacant for a single day (Touch wood) including a rental increase... Which reminds me will be due soon which I'll likely increase again.

Bathurst was purchased for $265k and rents for $340p/w likely will go up to $350p/w

Wagga bit early to tell recent purchase, price $216,000 rent $315p/w tenanted first day after settlement.

Both have good long term growth drivers.

Purchased a 4x2 house in Wagga a few months back....

Bought for $260K, Rented out few days after settlement for $400pw.
Good Tenants and Good PM.

Drove from Melbourne to Wagga to suss out area, Pretty happy with Buy.

Currently looking in Dubbo and Tamworth for +ve Yield Property.

Toowoomba

Just about to settle on a two bedroom unit in Toowoomba. Block of 6, Ground Floor SLUG. Paid $176k will rent for $250/wk. Not yet advertized for rent and there a waiting list already. Coal Seam Gas, Airport Extension, really happy and expecting big things in the near future.
Cheers Bullfrog

Seems like the budget end of Wagga has moved in the last few months.

I wouldn' t say that quite yet

This happened 12 months ago, where all the low end normally struggling to sell at about 120k all started to have high demand at auctions for as high as 140k

Fast fwd 6 months all the prices were back to normal and agents struggling to even get peoole registering to bid
Although they did sell most after auction immediately

Now all the lower price has gone o assume due to end of year

But I am hoping it will be the start of something

Hi all,
It's been a while since this thread. Just wondering if anyone has anything to add about our biggish Regionals? I've just been pre-approved for around $400,000 and looking for something with a decent yield - 7%??

Considering Tamworth or Armidale, or maybe Gunnedah (although I know it's not a biggish).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Allgood

Hi all,
It's been a while since this thread. Just wondering if anyone has anything to add about our biggish Regionals? I've just been pre-approved for around $400,000 and looking for something with a decent yield - 7%??

Considering Tamworth or Armidale, or maybe Gunnedah (although I know it's not a biggish).

Allgood

Should be able to get something in South Tamworth or the north part of Coledale returning above 7%. Not great areas but certainly not the worst.

Spoke to my PM at orange re rent increase. She said that rents have gone down by $20-30 per week. I asked for sale appraisals for both orange and wagga. As mentioned by Luce earlier there is a big gap tween doh sales and investor sales which makes appraisals look disappointing

Purchased a 4x2 house in Wagga a few months back....

Bought for $260K, Rented out few days after settlement for $400pw.
Good Tenants and Good PM.

Drove from Melbourne to Wagga to suss out area, Pretty happy with Buy.

Currently looking in Dubbo and Tamworth for +ve Yield Property.

Wow, looks like a good rental return. No Negative gearing there. I want to invest in a large regional too and need to find something thats neutral to positive cash flow because im on a lowish income.

Maybe I should buy over east and get a buyers agent to buy for me I dunno.
I have a lot of homework to do.

Just about to settle on a two bedroom unit in Toowoomba. Block of 6, Ground Floor SLUG. Paid $176k will rent for $250/wk. Not yet advertized for rent and there a waiting list already. Coal Seam Gas, Airport Extension, really happy and expecting big things in the near future.
Cheers Bullfrog

What is SLUG ? thanks

Hi all,

Allgood
Allgood, .... take a look at Goulburn. I currently live in the town and it's proximity to Canberra has seen growth steadily increase. I would say it's definitely moved 8%-10% in the past 12 months and rentals are in high demand. Shouldn't be a problem finding something with a 6%+ yield.

There is a growing population of Canberrans moving into the area and cummute to Canberra each day. The property prices are a fraction of those in Canberra and it's only a 50min to 1 hour drive on the Hume Hwy. I've been told that between 2,000 to 3,000 commute each day.

The town has been promoted as a growth spot by many experts in the various property mags the past couple of years and has a large workforce in Wind Turbine industry and Some mining as well. Population around 23,000.

There are quite a few empty shops in the main street and Big W pulled out of a huge redevelopment about 8 months ago due to retail downturn, but the town always seems to be busy. It has a Woolies and Coles and Target etc plus the NSW Police Academy and the prison (don't let that put you off ... it's a great employer for the town and doesn't seem to cause any issues).

Bunnings built a 20 million trade store that opened 12 months ago and they tend to do there homework before developing in an area.

Splitter blocks are around but the builders/tradies seemed to have caught on that they can make good money by buying and developing them. We have just received a DA and CC to build another house behind ours ... the council was very slow processing our application, but they are very pro-development.

Campbelltown is only 1 hour 20 min drive away and Sydney Airport about 1 hour 30 min. Southern Highlands about 45 min to an hour. The high speed train from Sydney is back on the agenda again, but don't hold your breath as it's been discussed for about 20 years now and still nothing, but if it ever did come in then I would expect the town to take off.

Oh before I forget ... the water supply issue has been sorted and the town no longer has supply issues due to a pipeline development a few years ago.

Anyway ... just food for thought.

Mystery ... ;)

I found this old thread

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78864&highlight=wadonga

What do you guys think of Ballarat?

This one is renovated, and very affordable. I have no idea though about whether or not its located in a nice area or what the neighbours are like. It says walking distance to cbd. I guess that means walking distance to south Ballarat. Again i have absolutely no education or have done any research on Ballarat. I would have to research. Ballarat seems to be more affordable than Bunbury thats for sure.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-ballarat-115036271

Spoke to my PM at orange re rent increase. She said that rents have gone down by $20-30 per week. I asked for sale appraisals for both orange and wagga. As mentioned by Luce earlier there is a big gap tween doh sales and investor sales which makes appraisals look disappointing

We also have one in Orange and have dropped our rent by $20pw to get a good tenant. However, a recent reval has shown a value increase of 17.9% from the last one just over 2 years ago.

Little confused but did not question the val.

Back