Social Media Networks

But am always looking for ways to improve my google rank and receive more exposure.

A lot has been said about SEO - all about rich content - which is very time consuming - getting traffic is one thing but to monetize is the important part. If it is purely an on-line business then fine SEO & social media networking. But if you also operate in the brick-and-mortar world then other stuff applies. If so: For a startup you still need to go through the traditional business analysis phase i.e who is your clients, how do I find them, where do they shop, how will they find me i.e business plan. Then switch it around and apply BOS. You will need to know who is going to be your client with surgical precision; their needs, desire and wants and your USP. Then check which marketing strategy will work best and get a long term and short term action plan. You will need at least 10 marketing activities. This you will then need to test and measure as you go along.

We've launched two mountain bike races on FB and via email campaign. We put a few posters up in bike shops late in the game, and also a couple of forum posts to kick things off.
First race we sold out - 750 people (cap was placed by local authorities).
Second race is going just as well. :)

We don't usually use magazines because of long lead times, and also the MTB mags in Australia tend to be either six monthly or quarterly - so you've got to have everything good to go five months out, which means over a year out from the race. This meant we couldn't be as responsive to market forces, and it cost a fair amount of dosh.

Another thing we do is a "tell your friends" email - they send it (so not spam as not coming from us), bcc us so we know they've sent it, and per real email they get an entry into a prize draw. Works well and we can also gauge how the message is spreading.

Back