Software to track rent received from Tenants

Can anyone recommend either an excel spreadsheet with calculations or a small software programme that can be used to track rental payments from Tenants and can then print a Rental Ledger when required.

I currently self manage two properties and track payments in excel which is fine when the tenant pays the same day each week or fortnight but when they don't it makes it harder to calculate.

I am looking for something that I can just enter the amount and date paid and the spreadsheet / programme will calculate the rental period.

What do others that self manage their properties do?

I have had a look on the internet but I don't like the idea of web based programmes or ones you pay monthly or yearly.

Thanks for your help in advance

Bump!

I second that request! Great question and I'm sure people here have some great spreadsheet, some of them might even be willing to share (pleeeeease!).

I'm also scouring the internet at the moment for websites that might offer this sort of function so any recomendations on that would be helpful too. I'll report back if I find anything.

I just use an excel spreadsheet with five columns headed up (one property per page).

First two lines are just headings stating which house this is for, and a gap before the real business starts.

Looking along the horizontal line of the first line (maybe line 4 depending on how much information you need at the top of each page for each house) -
Column A is date
Column B is amount received
Column C (headed "From") (C4) contains the lease start date, i.e. 12/03/13
Column D (headed "To") contains the formula =C4+13"

Next line down (line 5) will be the entries for the following fornight and the formula just continues -

Column C contains the formula "D4+1" (spreadsheet populates this column with the end of the last fortnight + 1 day, so the date at column C on line 5 is correct for the start of the next fortnight).
Column D contains the formula "C5+13" (automatically counts another 13 days)

And son it goes. If you click on the boxes in columns C and D and drag them down, the page is automatically filled with ongoing fortnights. I don't look at calendars because the formula does it for me.

I tried to attach a spreadsheet to show rather than try to explain this, but it just dumped figures everywhere. If you want to email me I could send a spreadsheet to you with identifying details removed which you could use.

So, each week, in Column A I type in the actual date the rent is deposited, Column B I type in the amount (same each fortnight until a rent rise), Column C has automatically been filled by the computer with the correct dates for each fortnight that follows the other.

I keep Column E for water payments. They get added as income but I prefer to keep them separate (four entries per year) rather than mess up my formula.

This is so easy.

Attached my sheet. It does not handle if you change the rent amount or rent period midway through the sheet.

---INSTRUCTIONS:--
Initially..
Enter the start date in Cell A3
Choose the rent period in Cell G8
Enter the the Rent Amount in Cell G9

Weekly..
Enter the date rent recieved in column C
Enter the amount of rent recieved in column D
Optional comments in Column E (i use for water consumption reminders)
---------

Column A will populate the date of the rent due for next period. Once the date has arrived (today is rent due day) then column B will populate with the amount expected.

For some reason it has reverted to US dates when i uploaded it. If anyone uses this sheet and wants to 'pretty it up' then please do so and re-attach.

Attachments

• Rental Income and Expenditure 12-13.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,945
one possible update, havent read the file,
but,
where so many of the posts in other threads relate to landlord insurance being withdrawn or invalid if the tenant is allowed to lapse to periodic, a cell with the date, prior to the expiry date, in which you should either issue notice to quit or renew lease.

I have this spreadsheet that manages due dates for payments, leases. The problem with this is it does not auto re-sort in MS Office format when the days start counting down. But it does auto-resort when i have it stored in google docs using the '=sort('Calendar Upcomming'!A2:B21, 2, TRUE)' formula.

Click the dates tab and ignore the 'calendar upcomming tab'

Attachments

• Rental Insurances, Rates and Mortgage details.xls
    60 KB · Views: 700
I use Rent Manager, its cheap, easy to use and works well. I have used it for years.

If you have a mix of residential and commercial it will calculate with and without GST.

You can enter Capital Items, etc. depreciation, etc., it all shows on the annual statement. You can also print a combined statement so that you can see YTD income

Chris

Can anyone recommend either an excel spreadsheet with calculations or a small software programme that can be used to track rental payments from Tenants and can then print a Rental Ledger when required.

I currently self manage two properties and track payments in excel which is fine when the tenant pays the same day each week or fortnight but when they don't it makes it harder to calculate.

I am looking for something that I can just enter the amount and date paid and the spreadsheet / programme will calculate the rental period.

What do others that self manage their properties do?

I have had a look on the internet but I don't like the idea of web based programmes or ones you pay monthly or yearly.

Thanks for your help in advance

Free landlord property management software is hard to find.

The closest I have come is this free UK based online cloud version called "Property Hawk". It's pretty good and can be adapted for Australian purposes. For example pounds have to be read as dollars.

Using software to do something is always better than spreadsheets.

Let me know what you think of it, you can register here: https://www.propertyhawk.co.uk

Property Manager Pro works for me... It does everything I need, including what you need, plus more. Ive been using it for well over a decade.

I use Rentmaster- you can buy outright and if you want pay a small amount annually for the updates (4 per year). Choose a package to suit the number of properties you own/manage + some headroom.

As for Property Manager Pro - unless you find it at a second hand shop, Manacom no longer exist so you can't buy it any more. Was a good programme if you were an owner however had limitations for my needs.

Nice one guys, some great responses there.

Thanks Tano and wylie for the spreadsheet ideas.

I'm still undecided between DIY (spreadsheet), online websites or PM software. I might very well only be managing my property myself for 12 months (before I head overseas) so I'm weighing up doing it 'thoroughly' and not spending too much on software i might not get much use out of.

It is quite an old running post but I will reply anyway...

I use MS Access database to manage my properties. I have created by own forms and reports and have achieved some degree of automation in data entry. For example, when I enter the rent for a particular property, it automatically fills in the dates and automatically sums up the rent for the month. I am finding it great as it is my customised database to suit my needs (which are pretty much the same as any landlord's needs). I can expand it as and when required. I have even created a knowledge base, such that any new things I learn (including taxation), I can add to the knowledge base and refer to it when required.

If anybody needs any guidance, please PM me.

rental excel spread sheet

I hope this helps, I have used if for many years
I originally got the spread sheet from this forum and have modified it.
The original owner is unknown to me

Just edit on "report" tab C3 to G3 to your own IP name
Use B2 to select the year you want to view

Attachments

• Rental Ledger.xls
    90 KB · Views: 1,531
Back