Solicitor's fees tax deductible?

hi all,
my accountant says,

Solicitor’s Fees – These are capital costs, and have been noted as part of the cost base to offset any future capital gain.

is this correct?

hi all,
my accountant says,

Solicitor’s Fees – These are capital costs, and have been noted as part of the cost base to offset any future capital gain.

is this correct?

Sounds right.

However, I think solicitor's fees that the bank might incur setting up the mortgage docs might be deductible over 5 years???

I'm sure someone will confirm soon enough.

hi all,
my accountant says,

is this correct?

Solicitor fees for what?

If conveyancing for the transfer of land than this is generally a capital expense.

Deductible

Solicitors fees related to acquisition of any property will never be tax deductible. Even if relates to mortgage its non deductible as the purpose of the loan would be related to the "acqusition of the property". Refinance of an existing loan requiring additional legals may be deductible over 5 years but I would need to see the documentation to give that advice - Its rare. For example changing security may or may not be !! (ie Mum & Dad giving security = no but switching security for same owner = yes.)

Obtaining tax advice from a solicitor may be deductible in some instances but care should be taken that tax advice of any form isnt automatically deductible ! ie if the advice related to a tax scheme, private affairs, setting up a new arrangement, restructuring etc it is likely non-deductible. If the advice relates to present obligations and compliance its deductible.

Paul

Last edited:
Even if relates to mortgage its non deductible as the purpose of the loan would be related to the "acqusition of the property".

Legal costs directly attributable to raising finance to acquire an income producing asset would qualify for the 5 year deduction under s.25-25.

The whole point of s.25-25 is to allow certain capital costs to be deducted.

Cheers,

Rob

Trust set ups are generally ni deductible unless the trust will be used for business. Different section. I am at a Korean restaurant atm and can't remember the details.

s8-1 : A deduction is (ONLY) permitted to the extent the expense is necessarily incurred in producing assessable income.

Legal fees are a element of the cost base where acquired on capital account.

Legal fees incurred in acquisition of land acquired for or later held as trading stock (ie a developer) legals become part of the trading stock based on cost (or market value if you wish). There is a deemed acquisition / disposal.

Good subdivision example here includes legals as a element of cost base.

Trust set ups are generally ni deductible unless the trust will be used for business. Different section. I am at a Korean restaurant atm and can't remember the details.

So, if you were at a Chinese restaurant you might be able to remember???

Interesting.

Back