Some info on SA

SA investors might find this interesting:

SOUTH Australia is punching above its weight socially and economically - officially shrugging off the malaise of the 1990s, new figures show.

In a range of data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics yesterday, SA is pegging back the gap on the other states amid the upcoming defence and mining boom.

One of the most exciting statistics for demographers in the Australian Social Trends 2007 report relates to babies.
The state is well above the national average for fertility rates. Over the past five years, SA's fertility rate increased almost 7 per cent, compared with 4.5 per cent nationally.

"Which is really interesting because SA's fertility has generally been lower than other states . . . it's really quite a significant change," demographer Professor Graham Hugo said.

On top of that, the number of migrants coming to the state has almost doubled to 6.6 per cent in the past decade to 11,900 people last financial year.

Professor Hugo predicts that on current trends SA will reach its two million population target by about 2030, not 2050.

While wages in SA remain among the lowest in the nation, the levels appear to be consistent with SA's lower housing and grocery costs.

The state's unemployment rate kept pace with national figures, dropping from 9 per cent a decade ago to 5 per cent.
The workforce participation rate remained unchanged but dropped in most other states.
In terms of upskilling the state's workforce, the number of people gaining post school qualifications jumped by 14 per cent to 56 per cent.

"It really shows that there has been some economic and demographic progress - certainly demographically there has been a closing of the gap between SA and the rest of Australia - that's very clearly indicated there," Professor Hugo said.

Population trends expert Bernard Salt believes SA had been lagging in a demographic and psychological malaise which had its origins in the State Bank collapse, but the defence and mining boom have brought massive change.

"You've had a couple of events that have catapulted SA forward at a faster rate than other states for the first time," he said.

"There's just suddenly an air of confidence, fewer people are leaving, some people are coming back, people are having babies, not wanting to be in Melbourne, Sydney or London."

Good article, and very true - defence and mining over the next few years are spending multiple billions in the state. Interesting to see the population is growing ahead of schedule as well. Only good things ahead :cool:

Interesting article. It would appear that the population movement into SA is forecasted to continue and property prices are set to grow ahead of national.

Port Augusta has a lot of defence investment and Whyalla has plenty of private investment heading its way to secure a strong future (including project magnet and two recent announcements posted on hotspotting .com). Top this off with the planned mining projects i.e. Roxby Downs (will be HUGE) / Prominnent Hill/ Beverly, and you've got thriving economy and plenty of jobs to fill to service this.

Craigmore or Burton - whch is best ?

Hi Everyone,

Pretty new at this caper and I looking for some advice and guidance. I have been looking at buying a property in either Burton or Craigmore. Both seem to have a bit going for it but I am leaning torwards Craigmore at this time.

What are your thoughts ? I am from Sydney and know that some of the surburbs 40+ kms from Sydney have certain stigmas attached to them and you wouldnt really go for them.

I really like the look of South Australia and see this as next place to take off.

Than again.....I am only a novice really.

Hi Everyone,

Pretty new at this caper and I looking for some advice and guidance. I have been looking at buying a property in either Burton or Craigmore. Both seem to have a bit going for it but I am leaning torwards Craigmore at this time.

What are your thoughts ? I am from Sydney and know that some of the surburbs 40+ kms from Sydney have certain stigmas attached to them and you wouldnt really go for them.

I really like the look of South Australia and see this as next place to take off.

Than again.....I am only a novice really.

Agree with you, SA will be the next place to take off :D

Depends on what you're looking for, Craigmore is generally a bit older ie. 15yr+ houses. Burton older too, but are you looking at the new development there - Springbank Waters?

Nice area, my parents bought a new place in Springbank Waters last year and the area has already seen some pretty good gains in prices. It's almost finished with land releases and building, but I believe there are other developments in the area popping up - I know Devine purchased a parcel of land that will have 180 lots on it from memory.

I personally feel Craigmore may be a bit over priced - but that is my opinion only. It is generally a bit pricier as it doesn't have as much stigma attached to it as neighbouring suburbs such as Davoren Park, Smithfield etc. So make sure you don't over pay, especially since the nearby subrubs have been and will continue to catch up.

In both cases the suburbs are pretty far out from the CBD.

Don't forget that individual deals are more important than suburbs. Buying an overpriced new house and land from a developer in a suburb that may be well poised for capital growth is just not going to cut it!!!

Hi Steve & Xenia,

Thanks for your quick replies. I am leaning torwards Craigmore now but still have plenty of research to do with that. At least I know that I am not buying into an absolute dump of an area. I have checked with www.homepriceguide and commonwealth bank values and Craigmore has risen between 15-20% over the past 12 months if that sounds right ?

Only other area was possibly Mount Barker, but that wasnt real flash on growth according to those sites.

As you could see, I have a lot to learn....

Thanks, it is appreciated.

Parra1

Parra, Craigmore rise of 15-20% rise sounds about right - but trust the figures, not me ;)

Mt Barker may have slowed on recent figures as it has had huge rises in past few years (as have a lot of the Adelaide hills towns in this area eg. Littlehampton, Strathalbyn etc.). A lot of development going on there including a very large housing estate on the North East side (from memory). New cinemas went in about 2yrs (?) ago now as well, as well as a big community centre, and I believe Big W distribution centre further up the freeway on the way to Monarto.

Back