Somersoft 'Employee Salaries' Poll

If you're employed or self employed (see * below)

• <10k

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • 10k - 19k

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 20k - 39k

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • 40k - 59k

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • 60k - 79k

Votes: 41 18.6%
  • 80k - 99k

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • 100k - 119k

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • 120k - 139k

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • 140k - 159k

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 160k - 179k

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 180k - 199k

• 200k - 249k

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 250k - 299k

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 300k - 399k

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 400k - 499k

• 500k - 699k

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 700k - 999k

• 1MM - 2MM

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2MM - 3 MM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 3MM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just curious...that's all, a bit more 'demographic analysis' for SS, which I don't think has been done before, and might give us a better perspective on the type of posters we have here.

* Select your approximate INDIVIDUAL employee salary AND/OR self-employed salary (or 'income')...(i.e. working for yourself like a doctor or accountant or tradie, but without employing several other people, ie. >1, as you may do so in a normal 'business' in that sense) ONLY.

So NOT business owner's income OR investment income please.

Last edited:
*Employees only, so not including income from being self-employed OR a business owner OR from investment income.

Well then I'm out! So would a fair few other SS'ers. Will the results really be representative of the forum if you exclude all these people? Bit like asking what the most popular car colour is, but people with a white car can't vote.

No embarassment here. (and no "telephone numbers" either).

Currently Mr.Mom; having a well-earned 2.5 year break from (working) life.

I Used to be a "Resident Golf Pro" at a golf club, running my own business, earned around $90-100k per year before tax (company). Done with that; crap hours for the return.

Hoping to buy a new business back in Aus shortly that will keep me from going insane (in negotiations right now); should return around $60-$80k nett of income for me to play around with. Sleepy little 9-5 no-brainer. Should be good for a couple of years until I get bored.

The Minister for War earns $95k as a nurse here in the USA; she'll return to Aus on about $70k; we'll live off my earnings through the business and invest all of hers.

Portfolio is pos cashflow which helps my cause.

I voted $80-$99k based on current status.

Good luck hearing from an "average" wage earner; covered in another thread.

Steve, I believe I already did a poll that included all of this some time ago, so this time I was just interested in employee income.

I would have thought that most people here still have day jobs and bosses to report to that pay them a salary, and that self-employed and business owners would represent a smaller proportion of people.

are we using combined income of both partners or is it just mine we are talking here?

Jayro

Last edited:
are we using combined income of both partners or is it just mine we are talking here?

Jayro

Oh boy, I should have made it clearer, sorry.

I was actually thinking individual income.

I wanted to see how many people here have got high paying JOB's, that's all!

If you want a poll on gross, combined, annual income from all sources...I'm pretty sure that's already been done.

I don't mind adding self-employed people in too, ie. people working for themselves (eg. a doctor or accountant or tradie), and not employing several (>1) other people like a 'business' in that sense?

But I really don't want to add business or investment income to this poll.

Last edited:
Steve, I believe I already did a poll that included all of this some time ago, so this time I was just interested in employee income.

I would have thought that most people here still have day jobs and bosses to report to that pay them a salary, and that self-employed and business owners would represent a smaller proportion of people.

JIT, don't get me wrong, I think it's an interesting poll question and I'm interested in the answers. But when excluding a certain demographic, you can't really expect it to give you an accurate depiction of the group - only an accurate depiction of those who are included. eg. take it to the extreme, what if the true results were 100 people voting for an income option, but a further 50 people who would have voted were excluded?

Perhaps if you had the first/last option as 'Ineligible' then it would be a better depiction of the group as a whole.

ie. 25% workers less than $70k, 50% $100k, 10% $200k and 10% Ineligible.

No dramas mate it just didnt say what it was you were after so no point in me putting up the wrong info. Just wanted to clarify.

Jayro

Ok, thread is being modified slightly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Including employee salary AND self-employed salary (or 'income'), but not business or investment income (see first post).

Really it is just looking at what the ATO would call 'personal services income' or personal exertion income.

And also, I mean salary in the last 12 months OR a realistic estimate of your salary in the next 12 months. **

** Not how much salary/income you might eventually get in say 1-3 yrs + 5 +/- 'x' yrs into the future if 'y' and 'z' go to plan ;).

Not sure keith, if it is really a job for you I guess so, but if it's essentially part of the way you structure your finances, I'm not so sure it's really relevant.

If it's part of your business or investment structure, then probably not.

I'm just trying to see how high paying the jobs people do are on SS.

Coastymike mentioned all his clients are working in jobs paying > 200k pa, which is why I was curious to see what people on SS make.

I'm retired and my (relatively small) income is from investments. I do all the legwork for our IP investing, and hubby's income from his job is what funds the property investing. Do I put his income in (since it funds the IPs) - or are you interested in income of SS members only?

Cheers
LynnH

I'm retired and my (relatively small) income is from investments. I do all the legwork for our IP investing, and hubby's income from his job is what funds the property investing. Do I put his income in (since it funds the IPs) - or are you interested in income of SS members only?

Cheers
LynnH

You could put his income in I guess.

I just didn't want combined incomes as it will distort the results too much...not that this is a particularly accurate poll of course.

I appreciate the some people will be excluded from the poll as they rely on business and investment income, but that's not relevant to the poll, that's all.

JIT,

I never said my clients were in salaried employment. 95% of them are self employed business owners (some with one business, others with many businesses, others purely with investments - like Keith) and the other 5% are salaried employees. I would say we have 20 salaried employees as clients. This is the small proportion.

So if the survey was to reflect on my comments then it would not represent a true reflection as the survey excludes business owners (95%) who employ more than themselves.

Including business owners would be a major distortion as you may have $1M profit in one entity and a development occurring in another entity with $750K worth of losses. You flow the profits from one trust to another in that year which would leave $250K. The husband and wife who are both over 50 salary sacrifice $100K each into super leaving $50K and then this is split between the two of them. So from $1M profit we end up with a salary of $25K for one person. It is why the BRW Rich 200 gets the figures wrong every year. Batten and I chuckled when we read the last one.

So if the survey was to reflect on my comments then it would not represent a true reflection as the survey excludes business owners (95%) who employ more than themselves.

No, it wasn't, you just gave me an idea for another poll which I hadn't done yet!

Including business owners would be a major distortion...

Yes exactly, I appreciate that, that's why I restricted it to employees and people who are self-employed (but not with >1 employee).

So I'm really just interested in the high-paying 'JOBs' here.

It seems bizarre that you posted that you don't want joint incomes but you are happy for LynnH to post her husbands income. Doesn't seem to make sense. That is a joint income isn't it?

Back