Somersoft's Official Start of the New Property Cycle Indicator

I tend to agree with you Rixter. Confidence these days is very low, particular down here in Victoria. Just bought another site for under $1,000 a sqm - only 1-2 years ago they would have sold this property for $1,500-2,000 per sqm. Hopefully things pick up from here to vindicate the purchase.

I wouldn't have thought that very low confidence and falling prices would indicate a turn around in the market?

RC

I think with all the doom & gloom in the media, it's a bit too early too call. it depends on which market as well. It tend to focus on the Sydney inner-city market. In this market, a tight rental market is driving up rents, while lower interest rates are increasing affordability. This will attract more investors and owner-occupiers. The market is still driven by sentiment though. The doom & gloom need to recede from the media before sentiment can improve substantially IMHO.

I think with all the doom & gloom in the media, it's a bit too early too call. it depends on which market as well. It tend to focus on the Sydney inner-city market. In this market, a tight rental market is driving up rents, while lower interest rates are increasing affordability. This will attract more investors and owner-occupiers. The market is still driven by sentiment though. The doom & gloom need to recede from the media before sentiment can improve substantially IMHO.

If you get you property investing advice from the media you'll end up much the poorer. The media are always late to the party.

When they are talking about the boom, you know it's time to sell and get out.

On the first of July we will finaly have the Carbon Tax and we will all be happy
Seriously the pollies have got a lot to answer for. What a bunch of egomaniacs that spread the doom and gloom to media public etc
I just want to see some positives from them about something
We need leadership and Gillard and Abbot dont have it.
I really believe that is the only way we a going to see everyone happy again like the good old days when property went up 8%/annum.

On the first of July we will finaly have the Carbon Tax and we will all be happy
Seriously the pollies have got a lot to answer for. What a bunch of egomaniacs that spread the doom and gloom to media public etc
I just want to see some positives from them about something
We need leadership and Gillard and Abbot dont have it.
I really believe that is the only way we a going to see everyone happy again like the good old days when property went up 8%/annum.

I don't think we are going to be able to factor in yearly capital growth when calculating yields from investment properties in the next few years.

I tend to agree with you Rixter. Confidence these days is very low, particular down here in Victoria. Just bought another site for under $1,000 a sqm - only 1-2 years ago they would have sold this property for $1,500-2,000 per sqm. Hopefully things pick up from here to vindicate the purchase.

Assuming you've done your feasos conservatively I'd assume you wouldn't need an upswing to justify the purchase. Nice buy btw, what area was it in?

I've bought sites throughout the last few years in WA, personally I think downturns can be very profitable.

Assuming you've done your feasos conservatively I'd assume you wouldn't need an upswing to justify the purchase. Nice buy btw, what area was it in?

I've bought sites throughout the last few years in WA, personally I think downturns can be very profitable.

Box Hill, near the shopping centre. Apparently the council is considering rezoning the area covering my land to high-density residential but I bought it assuming that was nonsense.

Box Hill, near the shopping centre. Apparently the council is considering rezoning the area covering my land to high-density residential but I bought it assuming that was nonsense.

damn aaron - did you buy that empty carpark on station st? thta's a gold mine at any time. whether the market is down or up.

yeah = i think it was rejected by council.

i would be the first in the queue for OTP apartment if that one ever goes through.

it's the same guy who tried to build in the city which never went through
these malaysians they always trying to pull something quick.

'The latest wave of posters seems to be new players on their way to imploding. It will take awhile for the market to digest that.'

I've been an investor 10yr+ though more seriously only in the last 6yrs. Only a new poster though. So am I doomed to implode or do I herald the upswing? ;) Knew I should have posted sooner and improved all our CG.....

Just look around SS at all the new members recently joined & posting.

I'd be really interested in seeing a graph of new Somersoft members per week or month. Maybe I should contact one of the Admins. Broken down by state would be even better. See if there is a state based new user trend.

Back